The Model Railway Thread

ok dr.shoe i will let u off in that case , but only on the condition that u work out how many cylinders the kings had. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bad memories of model railways, my father had a spare room filled with his layout, consisting of three seperate tracks one inside the other. I found I could get all trains to one track using the electric points he had. Result was a huge model train wreck, and one walloping for me. He still has a *lot* of model raiway stuff, OO and n gauge that I know of, and he recently setup a small layout in my old bedroom but wouldn't let me near for some strange reason ???

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Shyguy:-) WHAT!!! YOU WRECK TRAINS!!! NO!!! BITE YOUR TONGUE. You weren't the guy running and smashing the trains on that TV show, "Addams Family" were you? Shame on you and you didn't know why you were not allowed into the train room? Tee! Hee! LOL. Cheers--- Dawn HH :D

High Heeled Boots Forever!

i`m with shyguy here the train wreck is the best bit about trains when u young, i have been there an done that, tho it does take ages to clear up. later nhoj62

I'm so sorry everyone, would it help if I lied and said I didn't find it all great fun as the current overload trips clicked out?? :D

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

ok dr.shoe i will let u off in that case , but only on the condition that u work out how many cylinders the kings had.

later

nhoj62

There you go:

With the design of the 'Kings', the concept of a big four-cylinder 4-6-0 had reached its zenith. MacIntosh found this with his big-boilered inside-cylinder locos culminating in the Cardean class - superb to look at, heavy on coal and incapable of further development. Certainly the 'Kings' were at the limit although modifications in the 1950s gave them a completely new lease of life and they staged a brilliant Indian summer with the end of steam on the Western.

The basic 'King' as built in 1927 carried a boiler pressure of 250 pounds per square inch, an advance of 25 pounds over Swindon's practice at the time, and had a driving wheel diameter of 6 feet 6 inches - a reduction of 2½ inches from the 6 feet 8½ inches standard for GWR express passenger engines. The valve gear was the standard Churchward adaptation of the Stephenson link motion set between the frames, with the outside cylinders worked by rocker arms. Careful attention was paid to free steam flow to and from the large 16¼ inch by 28 inch cylinders and, like the 'Castles', they had very long-lap valve travel. The 'Kings' were heavy engines with a 22½ ton axle loading and as a result their route availability, Double Red in GWR terms, was restricted: for instance, they were not allowed west of Plymouth, or north of Shrewsbury (in theory), or on the Oxford to Worcester route. On the other hand, their great attribute was their sure-footedness, probably the best this country has ever known and a fact vividly illustrated by the way number 6018 'King Henry VI' stalked through the tunnels out of Kings Cross in the 1948 Locomotive Exchanges. One visual difference of the 'Kings' to other GW locomotives was in the bogie design with outside bearings for the leading axle and inside bearings for trailing to give adequate clearance on curves.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

thanks dr.shoe you are officially let off now tell me where did u get that extract from it sounded very interesting an i would like to read more. later nhoj62

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there Youngwolf,

interesting project, especially the choice of the class 13.

I made a class 13 many years ago (1985) out of two Graham Farish 08's. I small amount of work was needed but a satisfactory result was made. Well, the customer liked it and the club made use of it, so it must have been passable :roll:

I would like to know what area you are basing your layout on as class 13's were exclusively Sheffield Tinlsey hump yard shunters or is it just visiting for repair :)

Keep up the good work.

Although I'm a OO man and have no need to go back to N, I still enjoy seeing new projects come to fruition.

see you out there

Quite so but the reason I'm building one is because they were built at BR Darlington and introduced in 1965. The idea being that a private owner got his hands on one and sold it to EW&S say a year back and was transfered to EWS Thornaby then sent to Darlington south as a shunter for HD loads as opposed to leaving a full size loco do the work, which is what they're doing at thornaby for some really stupid reason.

Take an event a few weeks ago, Phil, my closest friend, and myself went to Thornaby Yard for an hour to see what was going on.

A class 60 was shunting a few clay wagons between lines, putting a train together then leaving with a completly different rake of wagons after that. Something that an 08 would have been better suited to doing because of the long clearence needed for the 60.

One reason why my layout is pritty much freelance in terms of opperations, but its main description is an overflow yard for Thornaby when they're 'full'.

We are what we are, let nothing stand in our way in what we do

thanks dr.shoe

you are officially let off

now tell me where did u get that extract from it sounded very interesting an i would like to read more.

later

nhoj62

I used a search locomotive... er.... engine!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 months later...

Info on Darlington south: The North board as some will remember was completed some months back, now the south board is heading very much that same way. in about 24 hours time the south board will have the little storage area at the top right of the plan completed and everything will be ready to start the electrical system. Will post more info when available

We are what we are, let nothing stand in our way in what we do