The Model Railway Thread

Flippin' 'eck Francis I didn't even know you had an interest in US diesels. What brought about the change then? You've got some good ones there.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got DCC on my home layout. I use the Lenz system and am very pleased with it. Even got a reversing loop module ready to fix in. I also used to use the Zero One system, but it really needed clean track to work properly. If the track was dirty all sort of strange things happened.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

well, british diesels suffered from inadequate pickups anyway, but that has changed recently. no real change of heart or anything, I just decided that I would collect some US as there are some nice ones out there. I have an SD60 in UP colours on it's way :wink: may have to install decoders and bring them round some time :D

• 9 months later...

I'm the "Sir Topum Hat" of a Lionel model railroad and village in a large science center. Yes, they do pay me to play with trains. This layout is 83 years old having it's start in one man's house under his Christmas tree in 1920. It is 30' by 83' and set in the era of 1890-1930, very athentic for that period of time and super-detailed inside and out. We use the cheaper class Atlantic 4-4-2's from the Lionel catalog and daily pull 2- 25 car freights. This layout runs all day everyday in the year with the exception of three holidays when the building is closed, and shuts down twice a year for a couple of weeks for maintenance. Let's see if your UK railroads can top that. I live in a large mobile home and have built a 12' x 24' room just for my train collection with a 11'6" x 20' two tier permanent layout in it. I wanted to go through the walls into other rooms just as Calv has done, but my wife won't hear of it. She says that I will have to be satisfied with the space that I now have. I have been collecting Lionel "O" gauge, restoring Lionel trains, and making models (both scratch-built and kits) for 62 years now. I got my first Lionel train in 1941, still have it, and it still runs. You should see what goes with it now. :(:D:( Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

There are a fair number of large model railways on both sides of the pond. Alton Towers, Bressingham Steam Centre, Pendon, plus others all have 50ft plus layouts on display. Some individuals have 100ft layouts though I have never visited one. Chicago has a large layout that looks impressive now that they aren't running a lot of undecorated stock around. The railway you run sounds good. Using Lionel I suppose you would need that much space to have a good run.

Francis:-) Thank you for the information on the large train layouts on your side of the pond. If I ever get to your side of the world I must look them up. Of course, I'll be wearing my 4" boots. I have knowledge of that large layout in Chicago, but unfortunately I haven't been able to see it as of yet. I still maintain that the number of train layouts worldwide being 83 years old and to have the track record and historic background of the science center's has got to be minimal if at all. All of this has been documented. Good luck on your layout. There is nothing like collecting and modeling miniature trains. Dawn HH

For those of you who are interested in the large model train layout and exhibit at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago, USA, check out the following link http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/great_train_story/index.html.

Be sure to click on the links above and below the large picture on that page.

I have a small collection of Lionel "0" gauge trains from the late 1950's and early 1960's. I have not used them in over 30 years. I was planning on handing them down to my nephews, but they have no interest.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

PJ:-) Thanks for the web-site for the science and industry model railroad. It looks very interesting and accurately done. I must get out your way some day and view it. As to your 50's-60's Lionel collection---it is a shame that your nephews have no interest, but that is sometimes what happens with the next generation of children. You can always hand them down to me as I can assure you that they would have a good home. I would even pay the shipping and handling from your place to mine. Cheers! Dawn HH\

...As to your 50's-60's Lionel collection---it is a shame that your nephews have no interest, but that is sometimes what happens with the next generation of children. You can always hand them down to me as I can assure you that they would have a good home. I would even pay the shipping and handling from your place to mine. Cheers!

Dawn HH\

sorry Dawn;

If they stayed in the family, they would be handed down at no cost. But to anyone else, I know they have some value.

My father had worked for the railroad. After he passed away, I was looking through the classified ads in the newspaper and noticed a railroad memorabilia collector looking for railroad items. I ended up selling him much of what my dad had collected, including a full-size bell removed from a diesel locomotive. I made a few hundred dollars.

Regarding my Lionel trains, I am considering turning them over to an auction house or selling them on eBay. Now that I'm out of work, the income would help.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Francis:-)

I still maintain that the number of train layouts worldwide being 83 years old and to have the track record and historic background of the science center's has got to be minimal if at all. All of this has been documented. Good luck on your layout. There is nothing like collecting and modeling miniature trains.

Dawn HH

It might interest you to know that one of the layouts at the Pendon Museum is called Madder Valley built by John Aherne (I think) in the 1920s-30s. Every item on the layout is scratch built to a standard that would be impressive today. It represents an entire railway from its origin at the head ot the valley (a mainline junction if memory serves) right down to a small fishing village and coaster port at the river mouth.

It is in the museum because it is Aherne's work that inspired Pendon's founder Roye England.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

P.J.:-) I was teasing you about passing your trains along to me. It's only natural to want to keep them in the family. I'm sorry to hear that you are unemployed at the moment, but since no-one in the family is interested, I can understand the need to turn them into cash. I'm hopeful that you can do so and good luck on finding employment. Cheers! Dawn HH

I've got two model train systems: 1) N gauge with Dutch, German and American trains. But all from N gauge is compatible from German to Japanese, British and American stuff. So you can haul a Graham Farish loco Minitrix cars over Kato rails 2) Lego, the new 9V system

Woman Boots, queen of the shoes

It interests me no end to know that you have a model railway on your side of the pond that was started in the 20's and still survives in a museum because of people interested enough to carry on the tradition. Very much like ours at the science center. We are the curators of it now. Our museum has been presented with the National Award for Museum and Library Service for outstanding community service. This is a presdigeous award that very few museums have been able to capture. It has been signed in Washington DC by none other than Laura Bush, First Lady of the United States. We are all very proud to have gotten this award. Dawn HH

Francis:-) I believe you about Calv storing his shoes under his train layout. It sure does give you a lot of extra storage space for a lot of things. I have a whole closet down the hall to the bedroom where I store all of my girlie things, including shoes and boots. Bubba 136:-) Wearing heels in the train room comes in handy for changing ceiling bulbs and reaching the top display shelves. A few extra inches saves using a small step stool. Dawn HH

• 2 months later...

Hello All, Firefox relocated me and directed me here for posting about my layout...(thinks this might help get his counter rating up)...I'm corrently doing an N gauge layout, the URL is - http://www.darlington-south.moonfruit.com

The sites being updated quite regularly at the moment so keep tabs on it and see what happens.

I'm a member of the N gauge society now as well, so getting on the exhibition loop will be made easier...and you never know...I might see some of you at the events.

We are what we are, let nothing stand in our way in what we do

Hi there Youngwolf, interesting project, especially the choice of the class 13. I made a class 13 many years ago (1985) out of two Graham Farish 08's. I small amount of work was needed but a satisfactory result was made. Well, the customer liked it and the club made use of it, so it must have been passable :D I would like to know what area you are basing your layout on as class 13's were exclusively Sheffield Tinlsey hump yard shunters or is it just visiting for repair :D Keep up the good work. Although I'm a OO man and have no need to go back to N, I still enjoy seeing new projects come to fruition. see you out there

S4 and Proto4 is 4mm to the foot scale. HO is 3.5mm to the foot whereas OO is 4mm scale but running on the same gauge (16.5mm). In S4 and P4 we model a gauge of 18.83. In P4 we model prototypes (real locations) and in S4 we use the same accuracies but model fictitious locations. EM is a compromise on 18mm gauge.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

i used to be into trains, N gauge was the scale i used, i had a big collection of various goods wagons of all types. tho if i did go back to trains it would be in a larger scale, those n gauge couplings were a pain in the butt. then in a bigger scale i would do a detailed model of my favourite loco, the 9F, i am not sure why it is my favourite loco it must be the mechanic in me, i like to see all the stuff that makes an engine go, and on the 9F it is all there to get at. like the Q1 as well i suppose that is a good looking loco in my eyes again cause it is all there exposed. but i digres. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

Nhoj62:-) If you are looking for a larger scale than "N" gauge, might I suggest to you trying to model in the "O" gauge which is 1/48th to real life. In this scale you can super-detail inside and out down to a gnat's eye-lash if you want to. Cheers--- Dawn HH

i used to be into trains, N gauge was the scale i used, i had a big collection of various goods wagons of all types.

tho if i did go back to trains it would be in a larger scale, those n gauge couplings were a pain in the butt.

then in a bigger scale i would do a detailed model of my favourite loco, the 9F, i am not sure why it is my favourite loco it must be the mechanic in me, i like to see all the stuff that makes an engine go, and on the 9F it is all there to get at. like the Q1 as well i suppose that is a good looking loco in my eyes again cause it is all there exposed.

but i digres.

later

nhoj62

The 9F was (IMHO) the epitome of steam locomotive design. The high boiler, small wheels, massive pistons and even the daylight showing under the boiler so to give great access to the inside cylinders. This was a loco built for service. RA Riddles (it was him wasn't it?)knew what he was doing but then he had already designed the Duchesses so what would you expect!

However, my own personal favourite is the mighty GWR King class because it combined the aesthetics typical of GWR with the (then) cutting edge design that only the God's Wonderful Railway could produce. The finest 4 cylider locos ever built.

i have to correct you there dr.shoe the 9F only had two cylinders there was none on the inside, it was that way to make maintenance easier.

says so in me book,

Posted Image

love this book it got loads of stuff in it.

later

nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

I knew that, I never said the 9F had any more, it's the kings that had 4 (or was it 3? better get my King book out) In fact that was the prime reason for the "daylight". Reading my post back though I can see how one would think otherwise :D .