The Model Railway Thread

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no prizes for guessing what I'm into :smile: I'm a modern image walla. If it's diesel or electric I'm into it. If it's steam I leave it to the wife. Both of us do british outline. The last exhibition I attended was in Corby last October when I took our layout Rushden, which is still under construction but is very popular because the station itself is unique and fortunately preserved. Ths Rushden Historical Transport Society have endorsed the layout mainly fue to the fact that no-one else has even come close to producing an reasonably accurate model, but I digress. I wore my 3" block heels for the whole 2 day event, I shall be attending another exibition in Wellingborough, Northants on Feb 10th (if want details of where, just shout me or email) and we'll be taking the club's refurbished Thomas the Tank engine layout and I shall be wearing my 4" heels. Maybe I should match scale with heel height HO-scale = 3.5mm/1ft = 3.5" heels OO-scale = 4mm/1ft = 4"heels O gauge = 7mm/1ft = 7" heels (I don't think I'm going into this any further) I would hate to be doing Gauge 1 B)

N or Z gauge would be boring as well though, only 2" heels for N and even less for Z B) ! I was into modeling Southern Railways, 1925-1948 but have not had time recently :smile: All my stuff was in 00. Mostly RTR but I scratchbuilt buildings and stuff.

I'm into Model Railways as well, with a US modern image system running in one bedroom, with an extension running through the wall, across the landing, through another wall then into another bedroom. (Big moles in my house!) Used to model british but US stuff is much better. Oh and I also model 12 inch to the foot preserved buses as well! Hence the little logo on the signature.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Francis wrote: >Maybe I should match scale with heel height HO-scale = 3.5mm/1ft = 3.5" heels OO-scale = 4mm/1ft = 4"heels O gauge = 7mm/1ft = 7" heels (I don't think I'm going into this any further) I would hate to be doing Gauge 1 < I think you would need the ballet boots if you were into G scale!

Calv

I agree that most american stock has better running qualities, but the british outline stock has improved a lot. I've got two bachmann diesels (class 08 and a class 25) that will give your american diesels a run for your money. Them and a 4MT tank and a Ivatt 2MT tank. Bachmann, who also make american stock, are updating all drive systems to include standard american model practice of all wheel pickup and all wheel drive. Indeed I have 8 multiple units that also feature this system along with directional lighting. On a plus, the 25, 08 and 4MT tank are also DCC ready :smile: Running qualities are good on all my stock and a feedback controller is a must as an aid to slow starting. I know about your bus fetish, Calv B) why do you think I keep dropping hints about Cavalcade B) I do have a few bus models, again in OO scale, the oldest example being a Leyland Atlantean in Salford City Transport livery.

It has taken the appearance of Bachmann into the UK market to upgrade the standards expected. When you compare the Hornby class 47 or Lima locos of a few years ago,with their rubbishy motors and pickup arrangements to the Bachmann 25 there is a big difference. Ironically Bachmann are probably the most "toy like" of the serious US models, but they have improved recently. State of the art US models are currently produced by Atlas. Follow the link if you are interested. They now produce most of their locos with a DCC chip built in. Mind you they aren't exactly cheap - I paid £95 last week for my latest acquisition, but you get what you pay for and it is a superb model. I've never been to the Rushden Transport Cavalcade, although I've sampled a pint in the station many times! We'll have to pay a visit. Back to shoes.....

Calv

I've been to Calv's place and to say his modern image US layout is extensive would be an understatement. Model tunnel's take on a new meaning when they are not made of papier mache and chicken wire. These tunnels go through the structural walls from room to room! This is going to be the mother of all layouts when it's finished. However, it's definitely not suitable for portable exhibition use, so I reckon Calv's got to stage an in house exhibition display for us. Free admission to anyone wearing 4" heels :smile:

Thanks for the plug Firefox. Currently the layout may get finished around 2015 if I keep up the present rate of progress. When we get it operating whoever is manning the yards in my bedroom also shares it with a large quantity of shoes and boots:-) Need to spend less time on the computer and more time on the railway. Oh and did I mention a new bus joined the fleet this week.

Calv

OT Now correct me if i'm wrong, but 12" to the foot would be a little large for a model wouldn't it? Sounds like the stuff my dad used to drive for a living (Bristol VR anyone?) As for "free entry" to see your model railway, think i'd have to raise my faith's by a quarter inch to qualify By the way, sounds like your layout put's my old hornby set to shame but I think the "model railway" running past my parents house would take first place, it's the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway!

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Buses and Trains The 12" to the foot buses are most definitely full sized. I have a 1961 Bristol MW and now a 1948 AEC Regal. Both of these are single deckers - the double decker was traded for the AEC last week. (Both buses are jointly owned by me and a friend) Spent a few happy days on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch last year, including a visit on the May gala day when the last train is headed by ALL of the steam locos!! Truly awesome to see the train at Dungeness with 8 locos and about 20 carriages. Going again this year for another fix. On the model railway the bedroom yard operator gets the pick of the heels! Am I out of those comfy loafers yet?

Calv

I'd love to get down Graham, but I think I'm going to be tied up that weekend (No, not like that!) Seriously though, I wouldn't mind doing IMREX or York or somewhere with a few of you guys one weekend if we can find something we can all make.

Well we missed the Model Railway Show in the Docklands over the heely weekend :smile: but then I don't think the non-railway people would have enjoyed us drooling over what they consider lumps of plastic.

Plus there's no heels !!

Posted ImageQapla'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Francis on 2002-01-29 21:06 ]</font>

I didn't realise that so many of you guys are into trains :smile: When I lived in the UK there was one of those clubs for small gauge trains if that's what you call them - the ones that you sit on. Anyway they have done a great job of it with platform, bridges the lot. Used to go there sometimes. Well there's my contribution Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

The model railway club I frequent has just gained lottery funding for a 5" and 3.5" gauge outside line. This also includes some ride on stock. We shall begin groundbreaking in spring

One the subject of using an 08 shunter, maybe someone should do that and call them 'training' heels :smile:

Sorry! That was bad! I'm off now to torture myself! B)

Posted ImageQapla'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Francis on 2002-01-30 12:19 ]</font>

Graham I know you're going to brighton for the model exhibition, but on the footwear/clothing side of things, I don't think it would matter what you wear, it's brighton after all! If you wear something "normal" you'd feel distinctly out of place!

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Sounds good Francis, good luck with that one. I know that it will be a lot of hard work but these places are great when they are done. In fact it's an ongoing thing at the place I;ve been to, as they are always building more things.

This is a platform free shoe zone!

Well, in one weeks time, work will begin in ernest to continue with my latest layout, due to have it's debut in June at Desborough, Northants. I say work as it's present condition is simply baseboards and track. Rear fiddle yard is yet to be laid and the two front parts have yet to be electrified. Platforms have been cut and are ready to be fitted, then faced and weathered before ballasting can begin. The main part of the layout is 8' x 4' with an 8' x 2'6" fiddle, but there is a hell of a long way to go. I reckon I should have running complete with rear wall and station building by June. Then all the curved platform canopies are to be scratchbuilt. When I give myself a project I always seem to throw myself in the deep end. The name of this layout is "Eckerslike". Why, you ask. Well if someone was to ask if the layout is based on a location or if something took ages to construct, the answer would be "did it heck as like" :smile: I like unique names!!

Being a model railroad fan myself I find it a pitty we missed a London exhibit the weekend of our London heel meet. As I told John before we split, there is more than shoe stores to see in the countries we will end up doing heel meets in. Next time around the UK, I wouldn't mind going to visit an exhibit of railroads or old boats etc. With all the engineers in the group I'm sure the majority would be interested as well. Although I have all the materials to lay down a nice track, I never was able to because the intended room was first occupied by my daughter and is now full of shoes in boxes. I wonder when I finally will be able to setup a nice fixed track.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Good point, but the next Euro Heel meet in my surroundings I don't think the guys will appreciate sleeping in the small vertical space between the shoe boxes and the bottom of the railroad layout.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I`m jealous that You have so many clubs, exhibits that U can see each other and talk a bit about RR. I used to have big collection of TT class tanks and engines but it wasn`t what I wanted ( TT was for kids made by !!!!!!! PIKO DDR !!!!!!!!!!!!!) Yes its true Now I`m thinking on buying N class - not enough space but those models I`ve seen are beatifull by the way is there any audiophile ???????????? or NAD fan ????????????

Is that N gauge 1:148 scale (2mm/1ft) or an N-class locomotive. To us brits an N-class is a southern 4-6-0 tender locomotive made for the southern railways. I remember TT. It is slightly smaller then HO (3.5mm/1ft) while TT is 3mm/1ft. My club in Macclesfield had an exhibition layout in TT scale. Distinct lack of interesting rolling stock as most was Triang or scratchbuilt. Interesting that TT ectually meant something as HO did rather than O, OO, N or Z. TT stood TableTop and HO was Half-O. What a weird world we live in :smile:

Luc I cant believe you haven't got room for a model railroad, there must be a spare corner in your basement. Just been looking at a US layout in a magazine, size 35 ft x 62 ft!! Now thats what I call big!

Calv

Regarding standing out at model railway shows - I am a member of the National Model Railroad Association and in the British Region we have 2 ladies who we are sure were not born that way. Either that or they were born with very large hands. Theres also somebody who I see around at several bus rallies over the season who dresses as a woman. (Not very impressive heels though!)

Calv