Shoe piece-part manufacturers

xaphod

I'm looking for a supplier of heels .... no not shoes, but just the moulding that a shoemaker would buy to cover and then attach to a shoe. Specifically I'm looking for a maker of 5" machined wooden or moulded plastic heels with a 1" base (bit in contact with the ground) to modify some of my boots. Does anyone know the piece-parts trade associated with footwear manufacture, or any trade journals or other info, which might point me in the right direction?

Dr Shoe will know! Mind you, the heel you want is very specific. Why not try a casting from some of your originals? I would like to know a good source of stiletto type tops and pins too. Woolworths used to do them, but no longer...

I wish I could find a source in the US, too. I've never really tried to hook up with a supplier so don't know what the requirements are for minimum order, etc. Probably varies greatly. I think the term in the US is "shoe findings. I haven't found a friendly shoe repair shop for decades. We're a replace rather than repair society and this is a fairly rural area so I only know of two shops reasonably close. One doesn't speak much English and once made it clear he knew the shoes were mine and he didn't want to fix them again. The other doesn't speak much English and doesn't comprehend special instructions. Bottom line is neither is likely to be a source of supplies. I've used rubber from tires, carved heels from wood with my Moto-Tool, poured heels with boat fiberglass epoxy or plastic auto body filler (bondo), and of course took heels and leather off old shoes to modify others. I have made a few pairs. I made a pair of boots of canvas and a japanese geta like wooden sole, a pair of high wood platform sandals, and made new tops for clogs with canvas. Any suggestions for other materials would be appreciated!

I shall make some enquiries, being that I'm located in cobblers county and there are about 5 shoe and shoe component manufacturers in my immediate vicinity. I reckon Tailby's would be the best bet. I shall run down there and see if they do a brochure or something that outlines there products.

According to Tailby's (who only make parts for men's shoes :smile: there is a component manufacturer of ladies shoes in Kettering on Orion Way on the Pytchely Road Industrial Estate. I pay a visit to these and see what they have to offer

• 3 weeks later...

To Onyourtoes: Your local cobbler is a bonehead! Money is money --- no matter who owns the shoes! Any businessman with half a brain would realize that. Look for a vacant sign on that building before too long......... Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

For a cheap source of leather: Go to a charity shop and buy an old leather coat/skirt/pants. If the leather is too soft, you can "back it off" with canvas glued to the back with evostik. Spread it thinly on both pieces, allow to dry then heat them with a hairdryer (small bits) or hold them under an electric grill for 5-10 seconds then press them together. Alternative use an old iron.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...