Shoe shape, foot angle.

Sadam

Does the size of a high heel shoe change its shape. So if i had a pair of size 6 and size 11 next to eachother with the same heel height will they have a different shape? obviously one will be bigger than the other. I'm asking because ive recently got some high heels but they dont look as high as they are in the picture, the angle of the shoe is different. thanks in advance adam

Usually you will see the angle change with the heel and/or the heel get slightly higher. This is normal so as to keep the aesthetics of the shoe in proportion.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Does the size of a high heel shoe change its shape. So if i had a pair of size 6 and size 11 next to eachother with the same heel height will they have a different shape? obviously one will be bigger than the other.

I'm asking because ive recently got some high heels but they dont look as high as they are in the picture, the angle of the shoe is different.

thanks in advance adam

Well, it depends... As you may have deduced from some of the discussions on this board, the size of the shoe vs heel height does make a difference. In general, the smaller the shoe size - the lower the heel height required to make a truly pronounced arch in the foot/ankle. However, no small part of the size to height ratio is dependent upon the mfgr. Some mfgrs. do indeed take into account the size to height ratio, and therefore, as the shoe size goes down, so does the heel height. Or, to put it another way, as the shoe size increases, the heel height will also increase somewhat. Therefore a 4" heel on, say, a size 5 shoe might actually measure slightly less than 4" while the same shoe in a size 11 might actually measure more than 4".

On the other hand, there are mfgrs. who very strictly hold to the heel height, and if you are wanting a 4" heel - that's what you get, regardless of the size involved. Thus you might find a size 5 shoe looking like a very high heel, but the same style shoe in, say, a size 11 might look like a ridiculously low heel.

The bottom line here, is that there seems to be no hard and firm rule that everyone adheres to.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I have have found heel height does typically adjust with size. The better the maker the more frequent the adjustment. I wear 10 and 11 depending on fit, but have purchased multiple pairs in many sizes and noticed they seemed to jump the height at every other size. This saves the manufactrure a lot money because it reduces inventory to have fewer individual part numbers. Many manufactures will use the same heel and sole beds for a large variety of styles, pumps, slings, etc for the same reason and only change seasonally. Joe

I have have found heel height does typically adjust with size. The better the maker the more frequent the adjustment. I wear 10 and 11 depending on fit, but have purchased multiple pairs in many sizes and noticed they seemed to jump the height at every other size. This saves the manufactrure a lot money because it reduces inventory to have fewer individual part numbers.

Many manufactures will use the same heel and sole beds for a large variety of styles, pumps, slings, etc for the same reason and only change seasonally.

Joe

Hi there Joe, and welcome to the forum. ;):o

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Actually, this is not always true. Even quality manufacturers often fix the heel height at a set height.

If this is the case then you will see a definite difference in the pitch of the shoe. It's simple geometry when you think about it, the longer the hypotenus...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Sadam, You have an interesting point here. I believe that manufacturers are taking their choices when they decide the strategy heel vs. size. In my home country, heel height increases with size. A size 35 will have a 9cm heel and a 40 a 10.5cm heel, for the same model. From the way I see this issue, the point is not how high the heel is, but what the length of the foot from the heel to the ball of the feet is, finally: the end of the first metacarpian. In my case, I'm a 42 European size, my feet measure 26.5cm and, to the ball of my feet I have 17.5cm. I can handle 12cm easily but... (there is always a but) from 10.5cm to 12cm I have no increase in my final height. Although I measure 176cm I'm not able to trespass 184.5cm barefoot on tiptoes. Hence... if I use a 10.6cm heel, I'll be in 185cm -consider 0.5cm for the sole of the shoe- and even if I go to a 12cm I will not go further that height, although I force my foot. There is definitely a difference between sizes, not with the total length; but with the ability of bending your instep and the length of this part of the foot. Best regards.

This varies from one manufacturer to another. 3 strategies are adopted: 1. The same heel unit is used for every size. In this case, the smaller sizes will have a steeper angle. 2. A small range of heel unit heights are used eg 3.5 inch for sizes 3,4 3.75 inch for 5,6,7 4.0 inch for 8,9 Jean Gaborit used this step sizing scheme. I don't know if they still do. But in this case, a size at the bottom end of the range will have a steeper angle (eg 5 will be steeper than a 7) 3. Differing heel units height are used for every size in the range. In this case all of the shoes will have the same proportion. Sometimes 1 is used and you may feel short changed if they took a photo in a small size and you order a large size. The look of the shoe is ruined by a relatively smaller heel unit. Next time you are in a shop, measure the heel heights in the same style across different sizes. You will be able to see what scheme is being used. If you don't want to use a tape in the shop just compare the heights against the back of your index finger or hold one shoe from each pair with heels back to back to see a small difference.

This varies from one manufacturer to another...

Next time you are in a shop, measure the heel heights in the same style across different sizes. You will be able to see what scheme is being used. If you don't want to use a tape in the shop just compare the heights against the back of your index finger or hold one shoe from each pair with heels back to back to see a small difference.

An excellent point, Firefox. ;) One does not necessarily need a ruler to measure the difference in heels. All that is really necessary is to have some fixed dimension that can be used as a standard - i.e. a box edge, a ball pen, a nail clipper, the edge of a credit card, etc. Grant you, you will not have precise measurements, but you will have a general comparison.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels