Boots at Work

Thighbootguy

Now that the weather has cooled off a bit (at least in the northern hemisphere), I have been wearing boots at work all the time. I was wondering if anyone else has used the cool weather as a good excuse for wearing boots? I have three pair that I wear at work. All are leather knee high, in blue, brown and black, with a 2” block heel, and I wear them under my slacks. I’m not ready to wear 5” stilettos to work and no one here is ready for that either. I have gotten a couple of looks at my boots and the only comment was that I was a little taller but no one seems to care. I’m having a great time ( I really do like the work I do ) wearing boots all day.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 3 months later...

• 7 months later...

A female co-worker (and good friend) just spotted my brown suede boots with a 2” blade heel I'm wearing under brown slacks. I saw the surprised look on her face when we were out in the isle and a few seconds later she ducked into my cube and said, “Let me see your boots.” I pulled up my pant cuff the show more of the boot and she said, “Those are nice!” “Why thank you.” “I just discovered boots. I don’t know what was wrong with me but I’ve never worn them.” “I love them and they’re warm.” We went on to talk about some work stuff. I expect she will be wearing some as the weather cools off. :winkiss:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

How very cool, TBG. :winkiss: The boots I wear on occasion at work are about 3-3.25" chunky heel and are barely noticeable as being heels under my jeans. I guess I am happy with that result. I suppose a good compliment on the look would be nice but I like to stay pretty far under the radar at work at least.

I think it's easier to get away with boots for the most part, but I've had fun with it. I wore my grey suede Payless boots to work this past week, and it's either been not noticed at all, or met with nice compliments. I think as long as you put your outfits together nicely, then it's all good, and no one notices much - or if they do, it's in a good light.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Today is Friday and that means blue jeans at work so I am wearing a pair of blue knee high boots with a 2” block heel under my jeans. I ran into my female co-worker friend in the break room and said, “And these are my boots for blue jeans.” She looked at my boots and exclamed, “How many pair of boots do you have?” “A bunch.” We talked about the weather cooling off and she mentioned that she only had one pair and they were hard to walk in when there is ice and snow on the ground. She went on, “You know women’s boots have these little narrow heels that don’t work well on ice and snow.” I almost said, “Yeah, I know…” but I managed to keep my mouth shut. She said she was going to have to get some more boots for the winter. Winter is looking better and better all the time. :winkiss:

I too wear boots to work with 3" block heels and no one even pays attention to me. When I first started wearing them years ago, there were a couple of comments about "those boots aren't in style any more." But since then everyone goes about their business. But I also would not wear my 5" stiletto high heels to work. It is just too conservative of a work place for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been pushing the envelope a quarter of an inch further. For the past couple of days I have been wearing a pair of black fabric, round toed, knee high boots with a 3 ¼“ block heel under my slacks. I got them from Payless last season. I pulled up my pant cuff a bit and asked my co-worker what she thought of them and she said, “Oh, they look comfortable.” “Yes, they really are.” She then shared with me that the boots she was wearing (black leather with a 4” fat stiletto) were comfortable but the other pair she wears are not. There has been no reaction from anyone about my footwear. I think once everyone figured out I was wearing boots, the idea settled in. I’m not suggesting everyone is thrilled with the idea but no one (including my manager) seems adverse to the idea. And I just had a conversation with a female co worker about how comfortable heeled boots were. :nervous::winkiss:

I walked into work today wearing a gray turtleneck, brown slacks, and grey suede knee boots with a 3 ½” block heel and rounded toe. This is a very old pair of boots with a one piece molded sole and heel from Tall Gals Shoecraft. I ask my co worker what she thought and she said she really liked them, but I thought I don’t want any surprises so I walked into my managers office and said, “I’ve got a question. I’ve been wearing these lately (pulled up my pant leg to show him the heel), are they a problem?” “Nope.” “Thanks” and left his office. I never in my life thought I’d be able to wear these at work. The fact that I asked, goes a long way on the job security front. I’ve no plans on trying my stilettos. :winkiss:

TBG:-) Even though your office manager was indifferent to you wearing 3.5" heeled boots to work, it sure was a bold step for you to go into his office and show and ask his opinion of them. Whew! I sure wouldn't have done it myself. But, then again, maybe you are a bit braver than I. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Generally I do not wear boots to work. I prefer to wear my boots when things are good, not stressful, and it's hard to enjoy my boots if I am stressed out at work. I do remember a rare time a few years back when I had an excuse to wear boots at work. It was a special western day theme and anyone who wore western wear could be casual. I wore my cowboy boots for the first time at work, jeans tucked in. I even lent a pair of black cowboy boots to my future wife, these were a size 8 that was getting tight on me but fit her well. We were actually given a little credit for trying to be western as a few employees went casual without much of a western look. It was one of my best days at my old office, where I was able to put on cowboy boots without looking out of place. I hope to once again wear my cowboy boots to work again someday.

There shouldn't be any problem wearing cowboy boots to work for you if they are men's boots. They seem to be accepted just about anywhere anymore. I see quite a few pairs being worn around my area by both men and women and girls. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Dawn HH –

I have a philosophy of always giving management the opportunity to say no. There is a subtle difference being told I shouldn’t do something, and being told I shouldn’t have done something. It’s the difference between asking for permission and asking for forgiveness. Since I was just starting to wear boots with a noticeable heel, I figured I would ask on the front end and if my manager said he didn’t have a problem with my wearing them, I wouldn’t hear about it on a performance review. It also helped that my manager is a cool guy (that plays guitar).

Rxrenesis –

Those are great looking boots for the office, or anywhere else for that matter.

Kittyinboots –

The boots in your avatar look great. Although it is a shame to hide them, I think they would work well under slacks. I’m sorry to hear that your work is stressful. Bummer. Mine can be, but I find wearing boots to be relaxing and that it lightens things up a bit.

TBG:-) I see your point and go along with your thinking. Although I have in the past had bosses that saved things all year long just so they would have something to show up on your evaluation just to make their bosses think well of them, no matter the consequences. You can have a squicky clean job evaluation, but they always have to throw in a zinger before it all ends. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 2 months later...

I stopped in the local Goodwill at lunch today and saw that they had 4 pair of size 11 knee high boots on the rack. Three pair were leather, two were the same style (rounded toe with a 3” narrow heel) in brown and black, and the third was a light brown with a square toe and a huge block heel. I tried the black pair on or attempted to since the size 11 was just too small. The pair with the block heel fit but the heel looked silly. The last pair was a black fabric with a 3¼” narrow block heel that fit nicely. I bought the fabric pair and a coffee cup that said, “Only one more shopping day until tomorrow”. I wore the boots back to work and for the rest of the afternoon. I gave the coffee mug to my female friend in the next cube and showed her my new boots. I got a thank you for the coffee mug and raised eyebrows and a nod of appreciation for the boots. Wearing boots at work has been one of the best things I’ve done for myself in a long time. :thumbsup:

I went back to the GW the next day and walked into a 50% off sales on shoes. I decided the size 11s would stretch so I bought the light brown pair with the big heel and wore them back to work. After work I went back and bought the other two pair (total for the day $15). When I came back to work with my new boots I told my lady friend in the next cube about the sale and asked her what size show she wore (7½). When I went back after work I saw a cute pair of brown boots ( 8 ) with a little heavier heel than she likes ( she prefers stilettos ) and bought them for her. I gave them to her the next day and she was delighted. I told her I had a pair very tall boots in 7½ at home that she could have if she wanted them. She took me up on the deal. She doesn’t know what the boots are yet. About 25 years ago I bought a pair of black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos in 7½ from Wild Pair for a friend who didn’t like them. I still have them in the original box. They are still unworn but the heel tips dried up and disintegrated. I took them to my cobbler to have the heel tips replaced and the leather revitalized. He said they would look like new when he was finished. I want to go slowly now. She knows I’m a boot nut and that I wear boots but giving a gal I work with a pair of thigh boots with 5” stilettos might be considered inappropriate for the work environment. I have to make sure she is Ok with this. While I was at the cobbler, I picked up a bottle of “Shoe Stretch” that, I think, will make stretching the new size 11 boots a bit easier. Last week I had purchased a pair of black short boots (taller than ankle but not knee high) with a 2¾” blade heel that were missing a side lacing ($6). While I was at the cobbler I picked up two leather laces and relaced both boots. The lace is long enough to finish up at the top with a large bow. I’m wearing these boots at work now. :thumbsup:

DawnHH –

The operative word in "lady friend" is "friend", nothing more.

I has a chat with her this afternoon and offered, “You need to reel me in. You know I’m a wacko about boots”

“Yeah.”

“Well I don’t want to do anything that is inappropriate. If it’s not Ok for me to have gotten those boots, tell me.”

“Oh no, that was fine. I haven’t had a chance to try them but I like them.”

“The other pair I have at home are 7½ are at least 25 years old but the heel tip disintegrated so I took them to my cobbler and he said he could restore the leather like new. I think they have a 5” heel.”

“Oh, I’m not sure I can manage that.” And she showed me the heel she was wearing.

“That’s about a 3½.” And she didn’t seem surprised that I knew that. “The boots are quite tall” and I indicated how tall.

“Oh no, I don’t think I can wear those.”

“Well, take a look when I get them back and see what you think.” Then we went on and talked shop.

I expect that eventually I’ll tell her that I wear a 5” heel.

Like I said, good friend.

:thumbsup:

I was wearing my new 2 1/2" pointy Cowboy boots to work this week. After 2 yrs. of wearing my 3 1/2" Italian Biondini's, no one seemed to notice the difference. At one point I showed them to a female co-worker. "How do you like my new boots? I had these custom made in the US." - "Oh yes, now I see. Wow, those are nice too." I explained to her about the proces of designing and ordering them and showed her the height and decorations on the shaft and how pleased I was with the end result. She said she was happy for me and advised me to go to the local cobbler if I ever needed to resole them. She took her husbands boots there too because of their expertise on Cowboy boots. Later I had to go upstairs to the cantine to get some coffee supplies and when I did it was just during the morning break. 4 women from our production plant, which I've known for years, were sitting round a table and I walked up to them. I greeted them and asked for what I needed. When I walked up to the table one of them immediately had her eyes fixed on my boots. We chatted a bit, everyone of them was nice and friendly, I got the stuff, said 'bye all' and walked back. Walking away I could just feel 4 pairs of eyes staring at my boots. As soon as I was out of sight (but not out of hearing range) they quietly bursted out laughing. I decided to halt and try to hear what they had to say. I distinctively picked up 'Heels! He likes to wear heels! Probably likes to trip over or something!' I went on and for a moment I thought of going back and asking them to have the decency to at least wait for someone to be out of hearing range before starting their gossip. But those people usually dig their heels in deeper (no pun intended) when confronted so I just let it rest (for now). So basically I heel in an environment where some people even consider male Cowboy boots to be too much for males.

Bootylicious, where did you get the western-styled boots that are in your avatar?

They look very slick, don't they. I haven't got the exact same ones though.

They were sold by Blicker in Germany once.

http://www.hohe-absaetze.de/shop/html/index.php?Cat=BLICKER-HIGH-HEELS&POS=1&LandVal=DE&sprache=10&DID=1

They only went up to a size 42 and now they're gone alltogether. They are from Biondini and you'll find alternatives in this webshop.

http://stores.ebay.de/High-Heels-Luxus-fur-die-Beine_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm

That's where I bought mine in a knee-high version. Also available in bigger sizes and longer shafts. The foot part with the heel and toe is the same as the avatar and that's the main thing I guess.

• 2 months later...

I have been wearing boots under jeans/slacks at work every day for several months now and no one even bats an eye anymore. I have been wearing blue leather boots with a 2” block heel on Friday with jean and the rest of the time it has been mostly a pair of stretch cloth black boots with 3.5” block heels. Occasionally I’ll wear a pair of calf high black leather boots with a 2”block heel or brown suede knee highs with a 3” blade heel. I did attend a meeting where some folks didn’t know me and got a furrowed brow look from one of the ladies and one of the guys said, “I just gotta ask you about your boots.” I said, “I like the style.” He said he had some boots with a heel but not as high or narrow as mine. I let the subject drop, and it has never come up again and I have been meeting with this same group weekly for two months now. Even with the weather warming up, I’m not planning on changing what I’m wearing. I really am enjoying this too much. My lady friend declined my boots with 5” heels and I let that drop also.

Bootylicious, I have a pair very similar to the ones in your avatar. I have worn them out under a pair of jeans a few times and never had any comments. I don't even bother to cover the heal. My only problem is they can be a bit noisy. My wife and I bouth the same pair at Off Broadway Shoes. They were cheap, but they're still fun. I think I like yours better though, wish I could find them. Cheers, NH Heels