comments at shoe repair places?

heelma

Did you guys ever get funny comments or looks when you brought your man-size supertall stilettos for heel repair? So far, I heard twice "Oh, these are high shoes!", but nobody asked me yet if they were mine :rocker: What's your experience?

I brought my original pair of ballet boots (tlsb) to a repair shop in Fort Lauderdale that was recomended by a local fetish shop. He said it would be no problem replacing the heel tips, and said "you can walk in these?" I've brought other boots to him, one pair of 4" heels he recomended a padded heel cushion, insisting I try them out before paying for them :rocker: I'd like to find a place in southern Florida that makes custom footwear, but that seems a bit rare now.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I paid £7 for metal tips on my J-Los - more than I paid for the boots, but it was worth it. It does mean I have to be really careful crossing my front room floor though. I had a kind of attitude from the guy - a sort of exaggerated helpfulness. Just made me want to wear them there and then, so I did.

Hello. Larry here and I think that I posted this once before. If memory serves, We were on Vacation in northern Canada.. Montreal or Quebeck. I kinda tripped and loosend a stiletto heel from my shoe. I put the shoes in a bag and took them to a local shoe repair / leather shop. The owners (man and wife) appeared to be Portugese or Maltese or something and they asked if they were my shoes. I sez yes. The lady said that the repair would be ready in two hours and she wanted to see me walk in those 5" heels. I came back later wearing nylons under my slacks with deck shoes and I was invited in the back of the store. Those people were suprised at how well I could walk in my high heels. I put on a real show of shoe play and they charged me a fair price fot the repair.

Love those heels!

Man, if the exchange rate is anything like what I suspect, that really is through the nose! I figure £10 translates into about $16.00. To my mind, that's highway robbery!:rocker:

It's worse than you think, that translates into just under $20. Ordinarily I've have gone somewhere else, but there was only an hour before the shops shut and I really wanted the boots re-heeled. Ah well, I'll not be going back there.

Chris

Achilles seems to charge a standard £5 for most repairs though bigger or more complex jobs go up incrementally to around £15. Heel tips will set you back £5 but if you ask for another small job such as a heel re-attachment it will be thrown in as long as it's the same pair.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, I have almost never had any of my footwear repaired. They go out of fashion; I toss them and get something new. There was an exception just recently however. I decided to repair a pair of riding boots I’ve had for 13-15 years. When I took the boots in for repair I was wearing new, brown, round-toed, 4-inch, thick-heeled boots. You can see the riding boots in my Fashionably Fun Collection photo #17 and the boots I was wearing in #18. http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/5763-fashionably_fun_collection-6.html#post120007 A stylish, older woman was being helped at the counter. She first looked at the riding boots I plopped on the counter and then glanced down at the brown boots I was wearing, then up to my face, and back down to the floor again. She didn’t say anything -- but I think she liked them (or at least I choose to think so). The shoe repair guy certainly thought nothing of either pair of boots.