Embarrising Stupid Moments

Ok, The sole on the inside of my one shoe has been coming undone for a while, so lastnight I decide to superglue it back down. I have the brush on type to make it easier to control and less likely to make a mess. Well, that is until you knock the bottle over onto the floor (BTW, was sitting in the kitchen in my bare feet. Some of the glue splashed onto my foot. Fortunately, my wife just bought some of the right kind of nail polish remover. So I walk just on my heel, toes in the air (so has not to get stuck) over to grab a paper towel so I can start the job of getting the superglue off my foot. I go back to the same chair I was sitting in and cross my leg over so I can start using the remover on my foot. Anyway, I THOUGHT I had my other foot planted away from the "puddle" of superglue on the floor (we have old linoleum flooring which we are planning on replacing anyway, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been if we had say nice new wood floors). Ok, here is where the stupid moment comes in. I go to stand back up again, except, my old OTHER foot (and I mean the entire foot) is firmly glued to the floor. Again, luck has it, wife is up and also in the kitchen. As I proceed to tell her what I just did she says "Well, night hon" (fortunately joking, would be interesting to try to explain to the kids why daddy is sleeping with his foot glued to the floor all night). After she finishes laughing (and credit to her, not taking any pics) she proceeds to poor the remover on the floor where I slowly unhook my foot. Needless to say, I think I will be alot more careful with superglue..... Scotty

Back in High school, I use super glue on a text book to the floor. :evil: I heard that a teacher tried to pick it up and all most pulled him self to the floor!! :D

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I find SuperGlue annoying. It has this nasty little habit of instantly bonding that which you do not want glued to something to which you do not want it glued. Yet you can hold the items you want bonded together for what seems to be an eternity, only to watch them fall apart -- and immediately glue themselves to the surface upon which thhey land. I prefer epoxy for non-flexible joints and rubber cement (like Pliobond or DAP Weldwood Contact Cement) for flexible bonds. Silicone rubber (the real stuff that smells like vinegar) can make a dandy flexible bond too.

Have a happy time!

• 3 weeks later...

I find SuperGlue annoying. It has this nasty little habit of instantly bonding that which you do not want glued to something to which you do not want it glued. Yet you can hold the items you want bonded together for what seems to be an eternity, only to watch them fall apart -- and immediately glue themselves to the surface upon which thhey land. I prefer epoxy for non-flexible joints and rubber cement (like Pliobond or DAP Weldwood Contact Cement) for flexible bonds. Silicone rubber (the real stuff that smells like vinegar) can make a dandy flexible bond too.

Superglue only works if you apply it to one surface.

• Like 1

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 1 month later...

Just thank God it wasn't any worse. I've heard horror stories of people who have glued their eyelids, ears, and lips with superglue. At least you had the acetone handy. Personally, I never use more than a drop or two of the stuff and always have the acetone within easy reach.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

A few further thoughts on cyanoacrylate (superglue):

1. The surfaces to be joined should be thoroughly cleaned beforehand and one of them ideally 'activated' by use of either a purpose-made spray or alcohol (preferably iso-propyl alcohol), which is allowed to evaporate. The cyano is then applied to the other surface and the joint made.

2. Cyano can be bought in various consistencies for different jobs. Some types have fair gap-filling properties but cyano is usually best for 'intimate contact' joints (and I don't mean those involving one's private parts!!).

3. The small tubes of cyano sold in 'pound shops' and the like are often of poor quality and have a shortish shelf-life, although probably OK for a quick repair or two. Equally, the better-quality and larger 'trade' packs may be a false economy unless they are used up over a few months as they can solidify and become useless. Keeping cyano in the fridge is a helpful life-extender.

Some years ago, a train from Brighton to Victoria was detained for a significant time at East Croydon station. A highly-embarrassed man draped in a blanket was then observed being carried off the train sitting on a lavatory seat to which his posterior was firmly glued. Yes, some joker had spread superglue on the seat and waited for the inevitable. (Don't get any ideas about similar activity on your bus, Lindsay, will you?)

I forgot about keeping it in the fridge. Very true. Also, superglue only solidifies if it's kept open to the air. In a sealed container, it will, over time, jellify, rendering it useless. If it's not viscous (runny) like water, it's no good.

Sorry to be picky, but viscous is the opposite of runny! :rocker:

Chris

I agree that activation before supergluing is not essential and it does depend on the type of material and joint size/condition etc. The object is (I think) to introduce negative ions which improves the 'setting'.

Also, as I pointed out before, some cyano is in fact intentionally 'thick' (or viscous, if you prefer) to permit gap filling. Cyano does not have to be runny to work, but it must (as Linday says) be kept airtight in storage, or it will set in the container - been there, done that!

A few further thoughts on cyanoacrylate (superglue):

Some years ago, a train from Brighton to Victoria was detained for a significant time at East Croydon station. A highly-embarrassed man draped in a blanket was then observed being carried off the train sitting on a lavatory seat to which his posterior was firmly glued. Yes, some joker had spread superglue on the seat and waited for the inevitable. QUOTE]

I DIDN'T DO IT! Honest! :rocker: I've never even been in England.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels