My custom boots....finally

heelme

I can't even remember exactly when I took these boots in for "customization", but I know it was well before Thanksgiving last year. The guy I took them to specializes in cowboy boots, but is also well know for period boots like those you'd see at renaissance faires. These boots started out as the Pleasers 8898 (I think) and I cracked a heel at the tip taking out the trash one day. He said he could fix them, but what I really wanted was something more substantial in the heel and sole. I told him I wanted a stacked heel 4" high, narrowed down, somewhat like Zodiac used to make. We went back and forth about whether to do that to these boots or to start new. He convinced me to reuse these as it would not take as long and be somewhat cheaper. He's a stickler for how the boot would fit me and espeically the balance point, saying that at 4", it was not going to be easy with my high arch. Then he took an outline of both feet and several measurements. Since that time, I have been back once to have the measurements rechecked so he could finish his foot forms for me. About a month ago he called and said they were done. I wasn't happy when I saw them though. The heel was 4" exactly, but they were very thick and wide like an average cowboy boot, just taller....and heavy as hell! I agreed to take them home and wear them for a spell to get an imprint on the sole so when I did bring them back, he'd know if other adjustments needed to be made. After a few revisits, we arrived at what you see below. I'm happy with them except for him dying the sole and front of the heel black. Maybe some solvent will fix that.

I also used these boots for my very first and second out-of-the-house streetheeling, which I chose to describe under the "Thighboots In Public" thread rather than start one of my own. I did want to showcase these and started a Photobucket album just for my boots and heels to share. I plan to showcase more of my meager wardrobe next week when I have time.

Posted Image

This one is insprired by another here who's name escapes me at the moment. I'll have to try riding in boots at LEAST once.

Posted Image

This one shows the boots pretty well. I'll have to get some closer shots of the heel and construction next time. The whole photo album is found by the "WWW" link on my posts. Comments and criticisms cheerfully accepted.

heelme

Similar to one of my favorite skirts, which I often wear with my own 4" heeled boots. Instead of trying to de-dye the soles and front of the heel, have you considered making the whole boot black? Kiwi black leather polish works quite well on hard surfaces such as heels to make them as black as the boot - it's what I used on my stacked leather heels and bottem edges to change them from light brown to pitch black so they match the black leather of my boots. I'm not much into contrast stitching, either - Kiwi's good for that, too!

dr1819:: I appreciate that for a lot of people, having the heel all black is desirable. On the other hand, the heels were black before being honed down and I wanted the contrast of the leather sole and heel on the black boot. It was that look I was going after from the start, really. At least on this pair of boots. I really like the denim skrt, probably more than the leather one. Just wish it was a bit longer, but I guess they're not made for big guys like me anyway, right?

heelme, I love the look of the boots!! The heel does have a nice contrast and they look quite masculine too!! I also like the bike in the jeans pic...Goldwing 1500...1992 or so?? (going by the color...) Just curious, how much did this bootmaker charge you for all this customization? Happy Heeling!!

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

dr1819:: I appreciate that for a lot of people, having the heel all black is desirable. On the other hand, the heels were black before being honed down and I wanted the contrast of the leather sole and heel on the black boot. It was that look I was going after from the start, really. At least on this pair of boots. I really like the denim skrt, probably more than the leather one. Just wish it was a bit longer, but I guess they're not made for big guys like me anyway, right?

If your waist is around 38 or less, Newport News offers a number of skirts that are 38 inches in length, more than long enough to fully meet ankle length criteria, even for us taller guys.

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/subcat_twelve.asp?gpcatID=1875&pacatID=1878&catID=1896

The thicker heels should work out great on the bike, my pleaser 8868's were a bit tricky to ride around town while wearing, but that may be due to the fact I was riding a dirtbike. My b/f has a Suzuki Katana that I rode once while wearing my 3" wedge boots, but I think that having the seperate heel would have been a bit more comfortable. Those boots look great, since your guy is a stickler for fit then I doubt the rest of us will have any luck sending things to him mail-order. oh well have fun with those boots Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I tell you I'm seriously thinking about getting Achilles to do the same with my beige thigh boots. They'd look just like Zodiacs then!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Shoeiee: The bike is a '97 SE that has 60K of 2 up riding/touring by my wife and I. Going out tomorrow as a matter fact. Love the bike. The cost of the boot "repair", which amounts to a nice thick leather sole and stacked leather heel, was, I hate to admit, pricey. When I took the boots in, he quoted prices of $200.00 to $300.00 for resoling what I had and $400.00 and up for thigh high new ones. In the end I paid $275.00. I've spent more on a pair of boots I don't wear because the heel is too high. These, while more than I wanted to spend, are actually comfortable on my feet. I have a tough time with off the rack shoes of any kind. That's why the boot looks a bit arched, he built it to fit my feet with the heel hitting as close to my center of balance as it could. Thinking of what kind of care went into them eases the pocket book a little.

dr1819: Thanks again for the tip. When I was shopping for these skirts, I look a Newport News and Jessica London. London had the items on sale and each was only an inch shorter than NN. I do like their current line though - maybe it's time to add :roll:

JimC:AHA! You're pics in thighboots in public were the inspiration for the ones I took. I sat on the bike for a spell, trying to figure how I could ride with comfort. If the bike had floorboards it would be easy. The peg is the problem. Still, I'm going to have to give it a go.

Dr. Shoe: Beige or tan thighboots are what I want next and yes, a nice stacked heel with the right tone would look fantanstic and very much like Zodiacs (my all-time favorites). In this guy's shop is a couple of fairly high flat-heeled boots he made for the civil war reenactment participants. I like the cut of leather and how they slouch juuuust right at the ankle.

There's been some interest to work with this guy, so here's the low down.

Renick's Western Boots

9243 Magnolia Ave.

Riverside, California 92503

(951) 688-1897

BUT, here's the rub. Don't be in a hurry! If I ordered a new pair from him today, I would not expect to see them until Christmas or longer. He's backed up AND very popular. I saw the cowboy boots he made for a player on the NY Yankees. The detail is awesome and all hand stitched and tooled. We got past the fact a man wanted high heeled boots right off the bat, but it didn't stop him from trying to make the heel to wide - more like a traditional western boot, or the one's from Rancher's. His concern is strong that the boot is right for the wearer's foot and it took a few tries to get the heel as narrow as it is now. I think it could go further though. He doesn't work with "sizes" because he makes a foot form of each customer's foot. That way, no matter where they live, they can just tell him what they want and it will fit well. I did get him to admit that he would allow a customer that could not come in to take their own measurements, but he followed that up right away that the best fit would be if he did the measurements. I told him about this forum (in general terms) and that I wasn't the only man interested in high heeled boots. I don't think he believed me, LOL. If any of you are interested, I'd urge you to at least call him and talk to him about what you want. If anything, he's a guy that enjoys a challenge. I'd like to hear how it went and would be happy to intermediate if need be.

heelme

Chudbeast:-) Welcome to the Forum. What an interesting story that you told us all of your first outing. That's a very good looking pair of thighboots you have got there. I'm looking forward to reading more stories of future outings. Heelme:-) After looking at your pics, I have decided that you have a good looking pair of boots also. Enjoy them to the fullest and keep us all posted on your adventures in them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dawn HH: I am pleased with your decision :roll: I hope to enjoy many more outings with these boots. I'll continue to post them to "Thighboots In Public".

As somewhat of an update, I spoke with Nicholas of Renicks the other day about a couple of things. Foremost is that he can and is willing to put together some sort of measuring guide so that those not able to come to him can provide measurements for him to build the foot form. He is technically challenged, so no email address and no web site. His "hi-tech" is an answering machine. I also misquoted the cost of new thighboots in my response above. For a shaft the height of the ones I have (27") and the same heel/sole as what he did for me on my current pair, would cost about $700.00. Dammit! Then again, I can really appreciate the solid feel of these boots over the heel, sole and fit they came with. I expect to wear these for a very long time. That helps defer the cost some. His will be all leather, no lining, but I can have about any color and he knows the proper cut to use for the effect I want, like slight slouch or not. I'll get to pick the leather to be used from a huge stock he has in his shop. Now, I just have to save my pennies.

I want to make a note here about measuring for things like this, it's something I did not think of until I went to Renicks. Have someone help you with the measurements and here's why. When tracing your foot on paper, you should be standing with feet shoulder width, head up and balanced. The trace should be as accurate as possible for any lumps and bumps are important. When measuring around areas of the foot, you should dangle one leg over the other while sitting and relax the foot and lower leg.

I've been searching the NET for some time looking for a custom maker so I can get the heel I want. It may seem stupid to be so obsessed with the style I have in mind, but for me it's a culmination of many years of searching, buying, throwing away, buying more and yet unsatisfied. I found places like Dark Fashions, Glamour boots, Demars and recently eBay stores that have boots, thigh and higher, in my size women's US13, but the heel is always the stopper. I like stilletos, don't get me wrong, but for my wearing pleasure I've found I need more substance for my weight and height. That's probably why I have so many pairs of platforms with one piece heel/sole, because there is a support there that I don't get with thin soles and stilletos. The boots I had customized are the closest yet to my "dream" boot. The sole is thicker and more solid and the heel is much less of a wobble for me to manage. Pardon my rambling.