99 per page...

dr1819

Do you remember when doing a search on Zappos in your size revealed nothing? A couple years later, something finally appeared, but the selections stunk. Then, one day, just over a year ago, I actually reached the 99 per page mark. Suddenly, I had more than 100 selections from which to choose, and to top it off, that was in the highest heel category (High - 2-3/4" on up), instead of the dreaded "Any Height" category - dreaded because you knew you'd soon be staring at either some cheap plastic shoes or some sneakers. Today, I just realized that I was looking through three pages of heels, all in my size, and all around 3" or taller. What a selection! We've still a very long way to go, though, for a search on size 8 using the same parameters returned 118 pages, which means the next time I hold my breath will be at the century mark, when Zappos returns 100 pages in my size. To those who've taken the time to write shoe manufacturers and say, "Hey! Nice shoe, but do you have it in my size?" - Thank you for helping to advance the selection of styles from which we can choose. To those who haven't, you might give it a try. Over the years I've received a very favorable response, and given the fact that about half the companies that are now popping up that didn't before, I strongly suspect letter-writing to companies (and actually buying their products when available) have a lot to do with the significantly greater selection in my size. Good luck all, and keep heeling.

I've noticed the same thing too, over at Nine West and their sister company, Bandolino. When I first joined this forum in October 2002, Nine West carried only up to an 11. Now, the 12's have a very wide selection as well, but you have to be QUICK to order if you find something you like.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Chris - I'm happy for you! Help the rest of us out who aren't so lucky by dropping a line or two to your favorite brand, asking them to carry heels in an additional size or two! Thanks.

dr1819--just a thought here...do you have a sample letter that you could post? It might give others an idea of how to approach the companies -- and from a professional entrepreneur as yourself, I'm sure it could inspire an effective template for duplication by the masses. Also, we could provide all the addresses for the companies that we are communicating with here in a central database. I'd write letters too, providing I had the convenience of copying and pasting them.

Chris - I'm happy for you!

Help the rest of us out who aren't so lucky by dropping a line or two to your favorite brand, asking them to carry heels in an additional size or two!

Thanks.

Sorry dr1819,

I'm not convinced. I have sent already a lot of complaining mails to big german companies. For example to the biggest german mail-order company "Otto-Versand" or to "Buffalo London". In truth Buffalo is a german company residing directly in my neighbourhood nearby Frankfurt. No answer from Buffalo and a meaningless answer from Otto :D

Buffalo is sizing down. Some years ago they still had 2.5 '' wedge sneakers for guys up to EU 47. Today their biggest shoes are EU 42 (mostly at Otto - my success?) but usually their limit is EU 41 = US 10. Instead they have now a boring male collection. Mismanagement or simply acceptance of the reality?

micha :cry:

The best fashion is your own fashion!

I'm sorry to hear of your plight, Micha. It appears they're not listening! I have received two responses from shoe manufacturers that specifically stated they were keeping their sizes as is because they're marketing to women, not men, and they do not wish to loose their lion's share of the profits to women because men are wearing the larger selections of their styles. Personally, I think this is an irrational fear, primarily because I've had two women ask me about my heels then purchase the same, because of what I've read of the adventures of others on this bulletin board, and because other manufacturers have increased their sizes between one and three since I've been writing over the last two years, but have not increased more than a single size since I began looking at women's heel sizes more than 30 years ago. Perhaps it's just the times, perhaps my efforts have had something to do with. I don't know. I do know I've received well more than 10x as many positive responses from manufacturers than negative ones. Not all of the positive responses have been "we'll increase our sizes," but about 20% of them have. The remainder have been polite letters say they'd research the matter further. Well, thank you all for putting in your two cent's worth - and it does take the collective effort of a lot of people to make a change in industry, so thank you in advance for sending an e-mail or two to your favorite manufacturer asking them to increase their shoe size offerings!

...Over the years I've received a very favorable response, and given the fact that about half the companies that are now popping up that didn't before, I strongly suspect letter-writing to companies (and actually buying their products when available) have a lot to do with the significantly greater selection in my size.

I have received two responses from shoe manufacturers that specifically stated they were keeping their sizes as is because they're marketing to women, not men, and they do not wish to loose their lion's share of the profits to women because men are wearing the larger selections of their styles.

Personally, I think this is an irrational fear, primarily because I've had two women ask me about my heels then purchase the same, because of what I've read of the adventures of others on this bulletin board, and because other manufacturers have increased their sizes between one and three since I've been writing over the last two years, but have not increased more than a single size since I began looking at women's heel sizes more than 30 years ago.

Perhaps it's just the times, perhaps my efforts have had something to do with. I don't know. I do know I've received well more than 10x as many positive responses from manufacturers than negative ones. Not all of the positive responses have been "we'll increase our sizes," but about 20% of them have. The remainder have been polite letters say they'd research the matter further.

So what exactly did you say in your letters to provoke a good result? Were your letters differently worded from one another and conducive to different emotional tones? This is WHY I'm hoping you'd be so kind as to share a template for duplication so that others here, including myself, can more rapidly achieve the results we are seeking.

This is unchartered territory for me, as I'm sure it is for others, so sharing your years of experience and learnings would seem appropriate.

Hi, Kneehighs. I simply let them know that as a wearer of size x, I was very pleased of their styles and selection, that I wanted to purchase a few pair, but was sad to learn that they were not offered in size x. I mentioned one or two competitors (mainstream, not fetish) who currently offered their selections in my sizeand with whom I was very satisfied, then mentioned that I'd appreciate it if they would follow suite, as I would be a very happy customer indeed to be able to walk away with a pair of A in size X. Thank you for your considerations! Yours truly, dr1819

dr1819

It is a real shame that your $100 Poll posting didn't get more response. Considering the number of members here who are keen to wear heels on a daily basis and would very much like to have mens heeled shoes to buy, I was disappointed to see that although it was read with interest, it didn't generate the quantity feedback you wanted ( I presume). Perhaps it is time the thread was dug out.

IMHO, its all very well for designers to have men strutting in stilettos on the runway, but we all know this is not real life, just getting attention for the designer. How can we get styles on the mens rack like:-

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

to be in the shops. Both very wearable for all day. Both around 3" heel height.

I dunno, sadly this is not my industry, or I know I would certainly push that way.

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

while Ive certainly noticed a prolific increase in the number of larger size heels available, regretably, most of them are in deplorable styles that I wouldnt wish upon my worst enemy. Oh well, I suppose im not particularly enamoured with most of the current shoes being sold today in stores or online. I have however noticed a fantastic increase in the number of larger listing on ebay in the past few months. there are plenty of size 11/12 shoes/boots listed all the time. certainly a good sign :D

Yeah, eBay has even modified their search parameters so that you can use the drop-down box to find shoes up to a pretty big size (I know for sure you can do 13 and 14). That's a definite helper; bravo eBay staff!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde