Couldn't believe what I heard

ShockQueen

I was in a Payless yesterday looking about (they seem to have stopped carrying anything above a 12 here - go figure), and noticed this lady trying on some sandals. They had a 2, maybe a 2.5" kitten heel on them, and I heard her saying to her friend "Now we'll see if I can stand or even walk in these". I thought "wow.....must not wear heels very much, if at all". Just seemed a bit unusual to hear that coming from a lady these days.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

There is a great diversity among human beings. Tall and short. Rich and poor. Heels and flats. Please consider: The scene was a recent singles dance at the Knights of Columbus Hall, in Bloomington, Minnesota. Three of the women looked on, with incredulity plastered on their faces. They addressed me. "HOW CAN YOU WALK IN THOSE?" "I can't wear heels that high." "Don't they hurt your feet?" "You did something to your hair," added the third, skinny little Chris. Then she said, "I can't wear heels." At the same event, A lot of the women were wearing beautiful heeled shoes and boots. There were quite a few very well-dressed women at the dance. Some even had heels (GASP!) higher than mine. Usually, I have the highest heels in the room. At this one event, the women's heels ranged from none at all (tennies or flats) to around 5". Everyone is different, in their tastes and capabilities. Some women wear heels. Some don't. That is the way of the world.

I have no doubt about diversity, but it does still seem odd to hear it. :D Not all people wear skyscrapers, and are just fine with flats....so when they DO wear heels, it kinda throws 'em off kilter some. I do love wearing mine as much as possible though.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Not unusual at all. I hear that same refrain at the office. Some of the women who marvel at the shoes I wear tell me they can't wear heels even half as high as the ones I sport on a regular basis.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

ShockQueen: 2-2 1/2" heels seem to be viewed as medium height heels. Also if they were thinnish heels, the lower they are, the more weight they carry in relation to the ball of the foot and thus the more control over the heel will be required. Perhaps that is what they were referring too. You may well be used to 5" heels, but come down to a 3" stiletto in your size which will be eqivalent to the heels the ladies were trying, then you may understand what they were on about. My solution would have been to suggest going higher so more weight is on the wider ball of the foot. Then again, I could be soooo wrong. :D TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

doesn't shock me much, given the current seasonal/placement styles for women: when it's hot (or not cold), flip-flops when it's cold, ugg boots when flip-flops are forbidden or taboo, sneakers or sequined flats homecoming/prom night, heels which will come off within an hour or two of course there are women who wear heels on a near-daily basis, and pretty much all of them do it VERY well, but they are in the minority these days it seems

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Like just about everyone here, I'm a foot watcher. Of course, how a man/woman walks makes a huge difference in how they appear wearing heels. (there will probably be some differing opinions here, I'm open) Normal - heel-toe, heel-toe, heel-toe. the goal is a nice smooth heel-toe stride. As the heels get higher, the steps get shorter. Surprise - heel-FLAP-toe, heel-FLAP-toe. Hard to describe, but it's someone who walks like they forget from step to step that they're wearing heels. The heel hits the ground, they're surprised, and their foot levers forward on the heel then the toe lands. Guy walk. A variation on the Surprise method, except no surprise, just the way they always walk regardless of heel height. Tip-toe - rarely seen though occasionally given as the proper way (I think this is so, so, wrong). Land toe first, then heel. I don't wear heels method. Clomp, clomp, clomp. A combination of surprise and guy. Steps forward and hits the ground with heel and toe simultaneously. Looks sortof like a marionette walking. Ouch-ouch - height doesn't matter, maybe even flat. Walking as if every step hurts (it probably does)