High-end shopping in heels

fashionablefun

When I'm out-of-town, my confidence factor goes up. Though I regularly street heel in my own city with all my footwear -- when I'm out-of-town any reservations about what I wear, where I go and who I might see are pretty much abandoned. This past weekend I was in Southern California on business. Friday was work-related, but Saturday was all fun. I wore my Nine West black stiletto boots with dark Seven jeans, and a T-Shirt under a black suit jacket. I think the suit jacket, paired with the heels, gives a more coordinated dressy look, while the jeans and T-shirt provide a casual contrast. I first wore the outfit to the complimentary breakfast in the hotel, then clicked my way across the lobby, checked out of the hotel and headed to the rental car for a trip to one of two high-end malls where I had planned to do some shopping. I first went into Nordstrom's, where the half-yearly sale was going on and was very crowded with people. I have bought a number of shoes from the women's shoe department at Nordstrom's before, with helpful, unconcerned sales associates, but with the sale going on, it was a mad house and I headed into the mall instead. Though I have a preference for boots, they're not as appropriate for summer wear as for winter, so I was on the look-out for pumps. I've purchased pumps only infrequently before, but due in part to the experiences of others here, I decided to look for some. I all ready own one pair of Stuart Weitzman boots, so the first place I stopped was a Stuart Weitzman store, a small high-end women's shoe boutique. I told the female sales associate that I was looking for a classic pointy heel, in black, as a Summer alternative to the boots I was then wearing, which I pulled up my pant leg to display. I picked up a possible selection, which she pointed out was last year's model and she recommended another that had just arrived. It was a fashionably current-looking, suede leather, black pump, 4" heel, but round-toed instead of pointy. She said that round toes were going to be very popular this fall and although it wasn't what I was looking for, she seemed so excited about it, I thought I should try them on. I'm closest to a 10.5 in a women's shoe, but wear anything between 10 and 11, depending on the fit, in part because size 10.5 are not as common. She only had a 10 in stock, but we tried it on and the fit wasn't bad. She complimented me on how I walked in heels saying she couldn't do it anymore (though she wasn't very old). I kind of liked them. The round toe makes your foot look very small compared to pointy's. But I didn't like the price -- $295. I've paid $200 for women's shoes before, but not $300. I told her I had to think about it. She checked her computer and said she could ship me a size 10.5 and gave me her card and a Stuart Weitzman catalog and said to call her anytime. In parting, I said, "You probably don't get many guys shopping here for themselves." She said, "Actually we do". Next I went into a Jimmy Choo boutique, the famous women's shoe designer. At Weitzman's, there weren't any other customers besides myself, but at Choo's there were a couple young asian women shoppers in addition to the two female sales associates. But with the positive experience I had had previously, I went in undeterred. As it turned out they didn't have a lot I liked except my perennial favorite, boots. I thought the decimal point was in the wrong place on the first pair of boots I picked up, but on second glance, I decided it was correct -- they were a pair of brown ostrich leather, pointy toed, stiletto heels for $3,925. Though I liked them, I thought it a bit disingenuous of me to actually to try them on, so I opted instead for another slightly more-down-to-earth pair on sale for just $350. They didn't have them in black I asked for, but she brought out the brown which I tried on instead. She asked what brand I was wearing and when I said, "These are just Nine West", she said they looked good. (I think she meant "Looked good anyway".) While there, I never even had a glance from the other shoppers and just a friendly smile from the other sales associate, but before I left, she said, "If it would be more comfortable for you, you're welcome to come in sometime before we open up and try on anything you'd like without others around." I said I appreciate the offer and I'd let her know. I wandered around the mall for awhile and found another pair of boots that attracted me in the window of a women's store called St. John. The first to approach was a male sales associate, but he quickly retreated, and soon a female showed up and asked what size I took. Before I knew it I had on a truly beautiful pair of tan leather ankle boots, pointy, with a 4" stiletto heel. I really liked them, but they were another pair priced at $295 and besides, I was actually looking for pumps anyway. I looked around Macy's, saw some nice Franco Sarto's I liked, but not in a classic pump, checked out a couple other stores and then headed back through the crowded Nordstrom's store. Later, I had lunch at a Boudin's Sourdough Bread restaurant, wandered through Neiman Marcus and an outdoor shopping plaza, all the while in my stiletto boot heels with very few glances and certainly no comments from anyone. I think when you walk with confidence and style, there is little that looks out of place. Though I never made a purchase, I had a lot of fun.

Sounds like you had a good day none the less fashionablefun, even if you didn't get the pumps. Shoe stores here around where I live are fashionably dull with lots of low and mid heel footwear for women. Not a high heel in sight.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Fashionablefun:-) I really enjoyed reading your adventures through the shoe stores. What a grand time you had. More power to you. You should try that adventure sometime again and maybe you will find what you are looking for then. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Great story...keep em coming. The last couple of times I've street heeled in black pointy pumps during the day I went to Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, and Filenes. Filenes is a store that sells name brand products at deep discounts much like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. They have all their shoes displayed for people to walk in and do a self serve. If you find a style you like, you just pull the right size from the shelf and try them on. While I didn't try any on, I did walk around the two girls who were in the dept at the same time as me and they didn't even bat and eye. Great story though...keep em coming

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Fashionablefun: Welcome aboard! I hope you'll enjoy the board! I found your adventure quite entertaining, and it sounds like you had a good time shopping. However, I must admit to a small amount of envy since I wear a size 13 and can't go just anywhere to buy shoes, but, clearly you can, and do, so I'm greatly impressed with your boldness, and your sense of style. More power to you. I hope to read more of your exploits! :wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I think I was at that mall back in Feburary.. Right on the edge of the "gas lamp district". I had packed a pair of 4" Cole Haan heeled boots since I was getting into town sunday, and didnt have to work till Monday morning, but I was a few minutes late for my plane and could not take any luggage.. so I ended up at the mall to get socks/underwear/work pants. Oh well. At the time Nordstroms had a pair of the 2.5" heel rubber boots in green for $40, but I could not pack them anywhere, so I had to leave them. That area of San Diego seems very heel friendly, as I have seen a higher percentage of people wearing heels 4" and up then I have in Fort Lauderdale or Miami/Miami Beach. I also prefer boots, and have been looking for a pair of pumps/etc that would be a little more heat friendly as this summer has been particularly brutal. Keep up the good work Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 2 months later...

Following up on the story that begins this thread, I finally bought a pair of pumps, although not at the high-end stores I was shopping at out of town. Just the opposite in fact. I went to the Nine West outlet near my town and bought a pair of tan colored Bandolinos pumps in size 10 1/2. I'm not as comfortable wearing them in public as I am with a boots, even though many of my boots look much the same -- at least when standing or walking. I've worn the new Bandolinos to lunch, dinner and walking in the downtown area and on at least one occasion in the exact same outfit you see here. No observebale reaction on any occasion. We'll see if I get more comfortable with him. But of course we're getting into boot season now and I've got plenty more to choose from in that category.

Posted Image

I shopped in heels today, but not in a high end store. It actually was our local NAPA auto parts store. I had on 3" wedge heel leather open toe sandals from Bass. I still have painted toenails from last summer, one red and one green. I went in to order some brake parts for my VW van. There were guys at the order counter, most mechanics in grubby clothes, some farm types, no women. I had not a single look or comment. My jeans break at the top of the heel, so the entire heel was in view. I was prepared for some stupid comments, but none came. That was the good news. Bad news from my wife. One night last week she threw all of my women's shoes on the bathroom floor and said to choose, either our marriage or the shoes. She went on to say how seeing the shoes on me made her sick. I quietly put the shoes back in their places and went to bed. She was having a bad day, and I thought I would let it ride. I ony have a coulple of pairs of men's outdated shoes (wing tips), but I can wear less obvious womens shoes. This really gets to me because what she is asking is for me not to be me anymore, and to pretend I feel comfortable in men's shoes. She did get over it, we are still married, but our relationship is not the same. There is some tension there. Any advice?

fashionablefun: That's an awesome picture. Very well coordinated from head to toe, and the pumps looked great on you! Bravo to you! blackslide: Wow! Hard to beleive your wife got so irate over something as simple as shoes to the point she issued that ultimatum. Not knowing how your wife thinks, I can only guess she probably equates women's shoes on men with being gay. Unless you're willing to chuck your marriage, I can only suggest that you give in to her demands, at least for now. In the meantime, perhaps you could ask her why the shoes upset her so much. If she didn't know about the shoes until she found them, then it's not hard to understand why she was so angry. You kept a secret from her, and no doubt she's probably wondering what else you're hiding from her. It's time to come clean, lay all the cards on the table, give her a full explanation about the shoes and see what happens from there. I hope this will be of some help to you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

fashionablefun I think the outfit you posted looks great! Between your belt, your jacket, the details on your shirt, and your shoes, you coordinated the brown well.

Great presentation for the cause!

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

blackslide, IMHO, I have to concur with JeffB. I will let the storm pass; lay low for a while and then figure out what are the reasons she is so upset. I don't think giving up the heels for a little while will change who you are. HH are just a part to a whole; but this change can help save your marriage ... and that I think is a strong reason. Best of luck Pam

blackslide, Although my wife never issued an "Ultimatum", early in our marriage she did get at points where she asked me to throw my shoes away and I of course complied. One piece of advice that maybe I should have done myself back then, did you ever consider marriage counseling? Perhaps they can help you both come to terms with your heel wearing, assure her you are you, they are just after all shoes, and lastly, see if maybe there is a deeper issue that she has and is pushing it onto the shoes? Good luck! Scotty

Posted Image

Great look. I think it's great on you. That's the sort of look I'd like to achieve (although I would probably choose a different shirt - IMO of course!). I think looks like this are great for heel wearing men as it shows that we can wear heels and still look masculine! This look I find is very unisex. I've never actually considered the jeans and blazer look on myself but it's something to look into.

Happy street heeling! ;)

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Blackslide:-) Congrats for your preformance at the auto-parts among the locals and mechanics. You did well. Now on the flip side...at this time, I don't think I could offer anymore than what JeffB has contributed above. He has expressed it very well and I quite agree that you must lay low for a while until you can assertain just what the underlying problem is that set your wife off in the first place. I also think that the suggestion of the both of you getting marriage counseling is a valid point that you should seriously think about. There is some underlying point here and I don't think it is your wearing of heels. I think that she is using that fact to undermine you quickly and to hide the real reason behind what is actually wrong. The best of luck to you on this problem. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my wife problem. We have been married 7 years and I showed her my closet and explained to her that I preferred women's shoes before we got married. Her response then was, I am marrying you, not your shoes. Two things I think are happening. She says my "problem" is getting worse since we have been married. That may seem so to her since I have been getting bolder, and I think people are more accepting of the unusual. The punk rockers have helped in that regard. Visiting this site has given me more confidence in wearing what I want and buying higher heel heights. She says she just wants me to be normal (I say to her define normal), and not be embarraseed when we go out. I told her that sounds like her problem, not mine. The second thing is our daughter was murdered 3 years ago and there is yet to be a conviction. September is the month all of this happened, and it all comes back her on that month. For those of you who said maybe the shoes are not the underlying issue, you may be right. The shoes are a convenient thing for her to criticize. I am cooling it. There are many low heel shoes I can wear, that do not upset her as much. I love her very much and want this marriage to work. I also can't change these feelings that I have had as long as I remember. It is a juggling act for me.

Thats a good style for heel wearing guys fashionablefun and it looks great on you..the bag btw, adds a nice practical touch. ! ;) I do this look often but mostly with stiletto boots. I usually opt for a slightly longer shirt thats not quite so busy in either white or dusky pink. When teamed with my dark Pierre Cardin jacket (very fine pinstripes) over well fitted designer lowrise bootcuts, I look well dressed and am good to go for most occasions. For a more casual outing I'll swap the collared shirt for a plain T and to soften the look I will do the boots in suede and perhaps wear a cuff. Good luck with your street heeling. :lol: jim