Scotch!

• 7 months later...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I've been thinking back to our trip to Scotland last year.... and since we can't get decent Scotch in this province (Ontario, Canada) because of the grip the liquor control board (LCBO here) has on the alcohol supply, I've been wondering what we're missing. So, what are people's favourite Scotches? What's available out there?

...We had some cask strength (60%) single malt from Benromach near-ish Glen Fiddich (the Microsoft of Scotches) and it was very nice though you had to be careful, it being 60%. It would cure the common cold with one shot. Atholl Brose was elixer from heaven though. It's a Scotch liquor, kinda like Drambuie, but if you've had Atholl Brose, Dram is crude.

... And is it required to wear a kilt while drinking Scotch?

Well laddie, let me bring ye upt speed on the national drink o Scotland. First of all, whil ye do na ha to be in kilt for a wee drink, it is preferred. However, ye must leave ye Claymore and broadsword at the door. (we would na want to see ye hurt yerself if the floor should become wobbly or slippry an ye fall. Moreover, after 3 wee drinks ye should pull ye other blades outta yer socks & shoes and check those wi ye server, lest some other accident befall ye an ye hurt yerself.

Now any decent barley Scotch will do fer clearing out the sinusus & colds an whatnot, but my lassie much prefered J&B Scotch because she said it was smoother. Many lads like Johnny Walker, but ye must remember that the reason Johnny walked wuz because he could na get on his horse after a wee bit too much one night. I cannot er remember having tried Chevias, probably 'cauz the price wuz too regal for me blood.

Now the lads up in the highlands 'll ha me drawn & quarterd fer sayin this, but when I was a much younger lad travlin in them there Japans, they had a whiskey there, they did, that wuz as good as any likker er to come down from the highlands. It wuz called San Torri Golden, as I recall, and it wuz sure to warm a highlander's heart, it wuz. Not quite as smooth as J&B, but a whole lot better 'n most of the bilge water they's been talkin' here a bouts.

As fer them likker board poms, ye'll be wantin' to read up on William Wallace and find out how he & his ladds sorted out them English on just such tripe as yer speakin.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Aye William Wallace and his lads really gave us English something to think about. We thought about it for 200 years, and then walloped the living daylights out of you at Flodden. :rocker: Back on topic though, I'm a big fan of Glenfiddich. My mum and stepdad live not far from the distillery, the tour's very interesting and there's a free dram at the end. I want to get back up there in the summer to see the highland games. Chris

Aye William Wallace and his lads really gave us English something to think about. We thought about it for 200 years, and then walloped the living daylights out of you at Flodden. :biggrin:... Chris

A mere 200 years, ye say? And wi the highlanders only outnumbered about 10 to 1, it was a jolly good row at that! :rocker: Wi just a few more lads we coulda showed 'em how real men fight - even if we did show up in kilts!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I can see why the Scots fought so fiercely, most of those battle fields are crotch deep in heather and thistles, and there's you lot running through them wearing skirts and no knickers! :rocker: I've not tried the Tesco one, although I do like the Islay and Speyside malts. £13 is only a cough and a spit from a bottle of Jameson though. The Irish do whiskey very well too. Chris

I can see why the Scots fought so fiercely, most of those battle fields are crotch deep in heather and thistles, and there's you lot running through them wearing skirts and no knickers! :rocker:

I've not tried the Tesco one, although I do like the Islay and Speyside malts. £13 is only a cough and a spit from a bottle of Jameson though. The Irish do whiskey very well too.

Chris

AYE! See what kind of fightin mood yer in after ye had yer backside wiped with about 100 yds of thistle.:biggrin:

And to be sure, them Irish do make some good whisky too.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 weeks later...

I've not tried the Tesco one, although I do like the Islay and Speyside malts. £13 is only a cough and a spit from a bottle of Jameson though. The Irish do whiskey very well too.

Chris

Apples and pears - £13 is in comparison with something like Laphroig - which admittedly is better, but is almost twice the price. I might pour myself a snifter.

I vistited the Tobermory distillery on the Isle of Mull (must have been somewhere like 1997). I hadn't liked whisky before then, but theirs really changed my opinion. It's an unpeated scotch single malt and the output volume of that place isn't that high, so whenever I get to the UK and my stock is running low I bring back a bottle. The Heathrow airport whisky shop has been stocking it for the past few years (perhaps because I have been badgering them about it? :rocker: )

This thread had me look them up on the web and here is an excerpt from their site:

Seems like I 've hit on a good one! (No ice, just a wee drop of water)

Posted Image

Ah lass, yer bonnie report would melt a true highlander's heart.

My wife and I were out to, of all places, an Irish pub fer a wee celebration. They proudly sported many of the scotch brands I've seen mentioned here. But when I say proud, I'm meaning jus that! 13 pounds fer a bottle sounds cheap compared to what that lot wanted for one wee drink! Clearly, we'll be takin our custom elsewhere.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here tried Parker's? I was just in my wine shop and spotted a bottle of the stuff, but I've never had a wee dram of it.

Well, it's been o'er a month and none of you lot have had so much as a gill of Parker's to report on, so I'll just ha to stop by me package store an bring home a wee bottle. What'er it is, it ought to at least be good fer fight'n this artic chill that's upon us.:wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I've not seen any, but on my last trip abroad I did pick up a litre of export-strength Glenmorangie. That's going down very nicely!

Chris

Ahh, right ye are. An wha wid the freezin cold Arctic temperatures we now ha outside, ye can bet the whiskey bottle has been sampled frequently aroun 'ere too.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

A wee dram helps keep the cold away that's for sure! So far I think Glenmorangie is my favourite scotch, although the Glenfiddich Solera reserve is giving it a run for its money. Have you ever tried Welsh whisky by the way? I didn't even know it existed, but it's actually rather nice. Chris

A wee dram helps keep the cold away that's for sure! So far I think Glenmorangie is my favourite scotch, although the Glenfiddich Solera reserve is giving it a run for its money.

Have you ever tried Welsh whisky by the way? I didn't even know it existed, but it's actually rather nice.

Chris

No laddie, I was na knowin' them Welshers had any brew on the market. I've never seen any in the markets hereabouts. But 't stands t' reason they'd be wantin' a wee drop too.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Welsh Whisky has been around for a while - it's the sort of thing that makes the local news on telly when they've got a quiet day. I've never tried it, I suppose I should. Has anyone tried Australian single malt. I saw some in a supermarket in Agen (France) just before Christmas. I didn't buy it, it was €43, which seemed expensive when you could get aberlour for €20.

Welsh Whisky has been around for a while - it's the sort of thing that makes the local news on telly when they've got a quiet day. I've never tried it, I suppose I should. Has anyone tried Australian single malt. I saw some in a supermarket in Agen (France) just before Christmas. I didn't buy it, it was €43, which seemed expensive when you could get aberlour for €20.

Well now, those Welsh lads probably make a real fine brew. But I'm figurin' they's drinking it all up, 'cause I'm not findin' any on the market. As for that Aussie brew goin' fer €43, well it'd hav'ta be a mighty fine brew afore I'd be partin' wi' that many coins. I've heard of those sellin' a pound o brew fer a pound o gold, but that's much too steep fer my blood.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Japanese distill some mighty fine scotch whiskey. I was really suprised how smooth it was. (don't remember the brand. I am a burbon man, myself)

AHEM! Technically no one can produce Scotch whisky except the Scots. However, I have been to Japan & Okinawa where I tasted a whisky called Sun Torri Golden that tastes remarkably like J&B Scotch. It's a good whisky:thumbsup: , but it cannot rightly be called Scotch.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Well laddie, I was just in my local wine & spirits shoppe jus this morning. Now this is a big shoppe, mind you, an they did na ha' any Welsh brew on hand. I found the Irish brew, along with plenty of Scotch brew, t' be sure. But n'er a wee drop of Welsh whisky to be found. Are ye certain they're shippin' it here to the States?:wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I like single malt with some water - two drops! It is ok. if you like blended ones. IMO blended whiskeys are allways similar, always with soft taste. Chivas Regal is a good example of good blanded whisky. Single malts are an adventure, becase the taste a bit different every year. Taste is wild, burning, sometimes soft but not tame. maybe Nigella Lawson could say it better with her lovely flirty eyes. My favourite is Bowmore single malt. Some year ago I could feel taste of smoke and tar. Another year was different. I still miss the tar taste. It is funny because we talk here 12y or 15y whiskeys. Remeber it is the minimun years. If you don't drink your whisky it older than the label says. Or does the year says the age in barrel or cask before whiskey is inside the bottle. Is there any expert who knows?

I like single malt with some water - two drops! It is ok. if you like blended ones. IMO blended whiskeys are allways similar, always with soft taste. Chivas Regal is a good example of good blanded whisky. Single malts are an adventure, becase the taste a bit different every year. Taste is wild, burning, sometimes soft but not tame. maybe Nigella Lawson could say it better with her lovely flirty eyes.

My favourite is Bowmore single malt. Some year ago I could feel taste of smoke and tar. Another year was different. I still miss the tar taste.

It is funny because we talk here 12y or 15y whiskeys. Remeber it is the minimun years. If you don't drink your whisky it older than the label says.

Or does the year says the age in barrel or cask before whiskey is inside the bottle. Is there any expert who knows?

AYE laddie. The age is the number of years the darlin' brew spent idlin' away in the cask. After 'tis pour outta the cask an into the bottles it makes no difference if 'tis there a thousand years, 'tis still th' same age.

BTW, if ye ere seen the darlin' brew when 'tis comin' straight outta the still, 'tis clear as loch water. 'tis the aging that gives the colur and th' taste to the darlin' brew. What's more, no self respectin' brewery ere uses the same casks twice. Once the darlin' brew is poured up, them casks are smashed an' burned. That's why there'll always be a need for good oak trees in Scotland.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels