Scotch!

Ok, so I've been thinking back to our trip to Scotland last year.... and since we can't get decent Scotch in this province (Ontario, Canada) because of the grip the liquor control board (LCBO here) has on the alcohol supply, I've been wondering what we're missing. So, what are people's favourite Scotches? What's available out there? Personally, I've kinda stuck to 8+ yo single malt scotches, preferably 12+yo (though some are $$). The ones from Spey are nice though the Islay malts are really nice once in a while too. Takes a couple shots to get used to the peaty taste though :-) Sometimes the heavy peat flavours are distracting though. We had some cask strength (60%) single malt from Benromach near-ish Glen Fiddich (the Microsoft of Scotches) and it was very nice though you had to be careful, it being 60%. It would cure the common cold with one shot. Atholl Brose was elixer from heaven though. It's a Scotch liquor, kinda like Drambuie, but if you've had Atholl Brose, Dram is crude. And to keep on topic (sort of) - how high heels can you wear while drinking said Scotch :-) And is it required to wear a kilt while drinking Scotch?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As hard as it is for me to belive (and as much as I drink its real hard) I've never had scotch. I typically just drink Everclear or Captin Morgan or Vodka or Corona or something. Wouldn't mind trying it though.

It's all good. ~Arron.

Can't stand the stuff! The nearest I get is Southern Comfort and Coke. A nice pint of scrumpy is another matter though!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Okay, favs of mine are...... Cider, beer (BOB) from Wickwar Brewery near Bristol. Vodka with either vanilla coke or sprite. Sloe vodka (like sloe gin but much better) Red wine, I mention this last as the wife and I sink loads of it. at the moment Tesco do a Bulgarian Merlot for £2.99 a bottle. not bad for a good bottle of plonk. Nigel, Hic!

The angels have the phonebox.

Realise I will butcher names in this post. Hrm.. Macalan cask strength, on the rocks with a shot of water is quite good, also had good luck with Glenmorangie port wood finish is also a good choise. I got lucky a few years back and picked up some 18 year Macalan for less then $100, but at the time that was the only scotch I'd ever had.. and made sure that it would only be the first drink, since after a few drinks the subtleties are lost. I have some Laphoraig.. not much for the cooked peat taste. Oh well I also like Irish whisky (mom was a Flynn), Favorites include aged bushmills 10, 16, and (currently on the shelf) 21 year. Tullamore Dew, both regular and 12 year. Jameson reg and 18 year. I also enjoy Jager shots.. and mixed I like Jack Danials and Makers Mark. If I am feeling cheap I just go for Captain Morgan, never liked the taste of Bacardi *shrug* I have shipped a bottle of Tequila to a friend since I could not stand the taste, but knew she would enjoy it. I have 2 bottles of Golden grain from GA, but only use it for disinfecting and cleaning the grill at this point. I'll end the post at this point and give my liver a little breather :P Have fun guys Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I gave up smoking years ago but my brother recently sent me a bottle of 10 year old Laphroaig and a box of Cohibas. I guess I am getting old because I'm starting to actually like that carbolic taste with the odor of burnt tobacco.

Michael

I have some Laphoraig.. not much for the cooked peat taste.

Michael

Just got a bottle of Jonny Walker 18 year gold. It's actually a bit like the Laphoraig without quite as much of the burnt taste. For my next trick I'll probably try a bottle of Glenmorangie Sherry wood finish.. Not 100% sure.. will decide when I get there. Seeya Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I still have a couple of bottles (one still unopened) of Glenfidditch on my bar that I purchased in the UK almost 20 years ago. (Don't drink much).

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I still have a couple of bottles (one still unopened) of Glenfidditch on my bar that I purchased in the UK almost 20 years ago. (Don't drink much).

Posted Image

Unfortuately scotch doesn't age in the bottle, but having a couple bottles of decent scotch is a good thing :-) Besides, it's not like it'll go bad.

Enjoy them.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be off topic but has anybody tried a Pan-galactic-gargle-blaster??????

Um, no, but I wouldn't mind trying. Do you have some rehabilitation organizations to recommend, or should I just flip open the book to find some :-)

What's the recipe?

Scotch tut tut tut.....

Keep it real, Keep it Whiskey!.... Famous Grouse all the way :wink:

I had some Famous Grouse when in Edinburgh a year ago. It's one of the few scotches we get in Canuck-land but since it's a blended it never really appealed and it had to wait until vacation. It wasn't bad. A little thin but tasty nonetheless. Would be nice if you were going to drink a lot that evening :-)

• 5 months later...

There's a brand around here called "highland mist" that tastes remarkably well for being $9 a bottle. I usually only drink it after having 2 glasses of Johnny Walker Red. After two glasses of Red it the $9 scotch doesn't taste half bad if you know what I mean. I have had the Black label before but it almost tasted too smooth. I like to taste a little kick when i'm drinking liquor.

There's a brand around here called "highland mist" that tastes remarkably well for being $9 a bottle. I usually only drink it after having 2 glasses of Johnny Walker Red. After two glasses of Red it the $9 scotch doesn't taste half bad if you know what I mean. I have had the Black label before but it almost tasted too smooth. I like to taste a little kick when i'm drinking liquor.

We get something here that is named the same. Whether it is the same, who knows? For us it's more than $9/bottle (after the gov gets through with the taxes, that is). It wasn't bad as I recall. More of a liqueur though.

• 2 weeks later...

For an inexpensive, but good, blended Scotch, try Grants. I think I paid less than $10 at Trader Joe's the last time I bought it. Surprisingly smooth.

Vern

I've seen Grants but haven't tried it. I'll give it a go. It's not $10 here though, more like $30-$40.

Given the [lack of] strength of the CDN $ and your outrageous taxes its a wonder anyone can afford a good drink.

Vern

I'll say. If anyone thought Canada was a free country, guess again. The provincial liquor board (LCBO) doesn't carry much stock in scotch (some stores hardly have any) and won't bring it in unless you order a case. You are allowed to bring it in yourself but you pay - get this - 100% tax for wine and 150%!! for hard liquor, and that's in addtion to the shipping and handling and markup from the seller.

The dollar is actually doing better than it has for quite a few years though it's not like the 70's where our dollar was actually worth more than the US$.

• 2 weeks later...

I vistited the Tobermory distillery on the Isle of Mull (must have been somewhere like 1997). I hadn't liked whisky before then, but theirs really changed my opinion. It's an unpeated scotch single malt and the output volume of that place isn't that high, so whenever I get to the UK and my stock is running low I bring back a bottle. The Heathrow airport whisky shop has been stocking it for the past few years (perhaps because I have been badgering them about it? :D )

This thread had me look them up on the web and here is an excerpt from their site:

In February of 1998 the highly regarded American spirits magazine "Wine Spectator" featured the results of a "blind" tasting during which 39 of the most popular and established Single Malt Scotch Whiskies were compared.

Of the 39 malts tasted, 5 were deemed to be so good that they merited Classic status, while the rest were divided into the categories "Outstanding", "Very Good" and "Others".

Both malts from the Tobermory Distillery, Tobermory and Ledaig, were awarded "Classic" status, with the following judges comments:

Tobermory "Spicy and exciting. A malt with hay, salt and butter and hints of earth and wood. Concentrated and full of flavour. Superlong aftertaste. Got to love this."

Seems like I 've hit on a good one! (No ice, just a wee drop of water)

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

I've just comitted a cardinal sin, I've tipped a drop of Laphroaig into a cup of Lemsip, a sun dried tomato nearly went in as well, I noticed my spoon wasn't in the honey jar just in time.

I've just comitted a cardinal sin, I've tipped a drop of Laphroaig into a cup of Lemsip, a sun dried tomato nearly went in as well, I noticed my spoon wasn't in the honey jar just in time.

What's Lemsip? And what were you making?

• 2 weeks later...

Lemsip is a cold remedy in the form of a hot drink. It's consists of Paracetamol and decongestant and has a sort of lemon flavour. It's flavour is vastly improved by the addition of honey, and/or cooking brandy, whisky or crushed fresh ginger. I wasn't feeling too well when I posted that

Lemsip is a cold remedy in the form of a hot drink. It's consists of Paracetamol and decongestant and has a sort of lemon flavour. It's flavour is vastly improved by the addition of honey, and/or cooking brandy, whisky or crushed fresh ginger.

I wasn't feeling too well when I posted that

We have a similar thing over here (just can't remember the name of it right now) - same stuff, different name. Hope you're feeling better.