Scotch!

As a genuine Scots lass let me weigh in with a wee recommendation or two: my very favourite is Talisker from Skye, but a nice recent find (as discovered by my dad!) is Ledaig (pronounced 'Lay-check' I think) from the Tobermory distillery that somebody else mentioned above. You can get it from the whisky shop but no doubt elsewhere too. Slainte Mhath to all, have a great weekend. ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's more, no self respectin' brewery ere uses the same casks twice. Once the darlin' brew is poured up, them casks are smashed an' burned. That's why there'll always be a need for good oak trees in Scotland.

I can't swear as to whether the casks are ever used for whisky again, but Glenfiddich use casks that have previously been used for rum, bourbon or sherry depending on the whisky. The excellent Solera reserve for example is aged in the usual bourbon casks, plus sherry and new oak before being combined in the Solera vat prior to final aging.

Chris

As a genuine Scots lass let me weigh in with a wee recommendation or two: my very favourite is Talisker from Skye, but a nice recent find (as discovered by my dad!) is Ledaig (pronounced 'Lay-check' I think) from the Tobermory distillery that somebody else mentioned above. You can get it from the whisky shop but no doubt elsewhere too. Slainte Mhath to all, have a great weekend. :smile:

Ah lass, yer report's enough to warm a Highlander's heart.;)

Unfortunately, those lads at Tobermory 're right proud o their brew. The last time I checked they's askin' upwards o' $40 a bottle hereabouts. A mite too steep for this poor lad.

Slainte Mhath to ye lassie.:o

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 weeks later...

Ah lads & lassies, I'm sad to report that the price o' a decent brand of Scotch has got outrageous, hereabouts. I was jus in me fravorite spirits shoppe an I'll ha ye t' know that they's selling bilgewater fer right near $20 a quart. A wee pint was goin fer $12, an for anything fit to drink you'll be leaving yer paycheck behind! Ahrrrrr!;) Are ye certain those lads are still cooking the darlin brew up in them hills?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Well, I'm happy to report that my job taking me overseas netted me a litre of export-strength Glenfiddich Solera Reserve for £26! Just enjoying a wee dram of it as we speak. It's a toss up which is my favourite Scotch between this and Glenmorangie. Chris

Well, I'm happy to report that my job taking me overseas netted me a litre of export-strength Glenfiddich Solera Reserve for £26! Just enjoying a wee dram of it as we speak. It's a toss up which is my favourite Scotch between this and Glenmorangie.

Chris

Aye laddie, ye've done yerself right proud. :o An have a wee drop fer me too, while yer at it.;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been thinking back to our trip to Scotland last year.... and since we can't get decent Scotch in this province (Ontario, Canada) because of the grip the liquor control board (LCBO here) has on the alcohol supply, I've been wondering what we're missing. So, what are people's favourite Scotches? What's available out there?

Personally, I've kinda stuck to 8+ yo single malt scotches, preferably 12+yo (though some are $$). The ones from Spey are nice though the Islay malts are really nice once in a while too. Takes a couple shots to get used to the peaty taste though :-) Sometimes the heavy peat flavours are distracting though.

We had some cask strength (60%) single malt from Benromach near-ish Glen Fiddich (the Microsoft of Scotches) and it was very nice though you had to be careful, it being 60%. It would cure the common cold with one shot. Atholl Brose was elixer from heaven though. It's a Scotch liquor, kinda like Drambuie, but if you've had Atholl Brose, Dram is crude.

And to keep on topic (sort of) - how high heels can you wear while drinking said Scotch :-) And is it required to wear a kilt while drinking Scotch?

:o

My favourites are the Islay malts. There are quite a lot of them, mostly ££££££££££s. The most common, if you'll pardon the term, is Laphroaigh. If you are not used to it, Medicine sounds like a good name for it. It is so smooth. It can be found at reasonablely affordable prices here in the UK.

My all time American is Wild Turkey. My daughter brought me a bottle of 12 Y.O. single something American, I made it last for ages, as I knew that I would never see another.

Some of our supermarkets sell "Own Brand"malts at fair prices. They are not bad for the price.

Muddypaws:spin2: ;)

My favourites are the Islay malts. There are quite a lot of them, mostly ££££££££££s. The most common, if you'll pardon the term, is Laphroaigh. If you are not used to it, Medicine sounds like a good name for it. It is so smooth. It can be found at reasonablely affordable prices here in the UK.

My all time American is Wild Turkey. My daughter brought me a bottle of 12 Y.O. single something American, I made it last for ages, as I knew that I would never see another.

Some of our supermarkets sell "Own Brand"malts at fair prices. They are not bad for the price.

Muddypaws

Well now, laddie, if yer goin to go American, that Wild Turkey is a right good brew, as is Rebel Yell. But you'll hard-pressed to find a smoother whiskey than Jack Daniels Black Label. I've actually been to the stills where they cook the darlin brew, back about 30 years ago, an it was quite an experience. One interesting thing that might be hard to fathom, is the fact that Jack Daniels is actually produced in a county where 'tis illegal to sell or serve alcohol (a dry county):P . So they don't offer any samples when yer taking the tour. But 'tis possible to get a pretty good buzz while yer walking around the vats where they's cooking it.

I've not heard of any accidents since that one man wuz overcome by th' fumes and fell into one of the vats an' drowned. They still talk about how 4 or 5 stout lads tried to rescue him and pull 'im out. But he managed to fight 'em off.:o;):smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 months later...

now hows this, i love canadian club! so whisky goes both ways !! Had a decent whisky liquer a year or two ago, if i can remember the name i'll b in touch again. You could ring the Scottish Tourist Board and ask for Angus McCoatup, and he'll tell you where to go........ (work it out....!)