I hate winter

Terry

You can't wear anything nice. At least not with the weather around here sometimes. You get snow, then it warms up and you've got slush. Or they spread salt around (for those of you in less snowy areas, they put a very coarse, non-edible salt down to melt the snow) and it ruins your shoes or boots. The only good about it is that those Ugg(ly) boots, made of suede and not very waterproof, will get ruined quickly and we'll be rid of having to see people wearing them.

to bad about the winter weather you guys are having. I know perfectly well what living in all that snow and ice is like. that's one of the main reasons I've moved to the southeastern part of the USA. Infact, I read in the newspaper this morning that winter in our part of the country has been canceled for this year.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Gee, I sort of like the look of the UGG boots - functionally simple and attractive - but they don't come in my size. I have my sheepskin moccasins for the cold weather, but not for outside. With all the rain we are getting, my new rocker boots with 2+ inch platforms work fine outside (no snow).

You can't wear anything nice. At least not with the weather around here sometimes. You get snow, then it warms up and you've got slush. Or they spread salt around (for those of you in less snowy areas, they put a very coarse, non-edible salt down to melt the snow) and it ruins your shoes or boots.

The only good about it is that those Ugg(ly) boots, made of suede and not very waterproof, will get ruined quickly and we'll be rid of having to see people wearing them.

(tongue firmly implanted in cheek)

Aw, c'mon Terry, it's not that bad in T.O. Up here in Ottawa we just got 13cm of snow yesterday and it was a balmy -2C or so today. T.O. is warmer than that even. I won't mention that you'll have to shovel it yourself 'cuz the army's busy :) Oops, maybe I just did :-)

But just think, if it snows at least it won't be -35 to -55C like it usually is this time of year.

(tongue out of cheek)

The salt is really hard on everything. The various governments try to reduce THEIR costs by putting salt down but it increases OUR costs when we have to fix our cars because of the rust. And what it does to leather isn't good either.

I'll be heading to Toronto shortly to take up a new job and have lived there in the past, so I really am just tugging on your leg :-)

Watch the ice under the slush, snow and water. I hate winter too, but if it has to happen I'd like snow instead of cold.

13cm of snow, huh? Wow, you got it easy. We had at least 20cm here in da Midwest, and Nebraska got hit REAL bad. 13cm don't even slow my VW down, man! My town is notorious for the salt, though. I think it was last winter, the weather report said that we might get snow. It rained instead, and they dumped the salt on anyway. It's a constant battle with rust, man. Jen

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

I LOVE winter especially while I am at the farm, I love getting "The Defect" sideways on wet grass! sensibly I must add! although unfortunately it got a little too hot :o (here during winter the worst you will have to fear is being soaked! :)

later,

TXT-1

Maybe I am wrong, but thought there are lots of heeled boot styles made for the winter weather. It is the time of year that boots really come into fashion! It's fun to walk in falling snow. You leave those heel prints that only a high heel can make, but it will be erased/buried within a short time. When people are bundled against the cold the "danger" of someone "noticing" will be much less unless the conditions warrant wearing your trousers tucked into your tall boots! (Zipped entry for tall boots makes this wear much easier!) Everyone is still bundled up...

classic style high heel boots

13cm of snow, huh? Wow, you got it easy. We had at least 20cm here in da Midwest, and Nebraska got hit REAL bad. 13cm don't even slow my VW down, man! My town is notorious for the salt, though. I think it was last winter, the weather report said that we might get snow. It rained instead, and they dumped the salt on anyway. It's a constant battle with rust, man.

Jen

Yep, it's been a fairly easy winter so far. Hardly any snow to slide around in. Salt's a rotten thing, for sure. Why can't they just use sand, or better yet, teach people how to drive!

Snow is only nice for skiing... But yep, boots are the things to wear in winter. When I travel to cold places, I always take a pair of warm boots to be sure I still wear heels... :o But yes, I prefer summer and wearing clogs without socks... :) Marc

I love snow and wearing heels in snow, it's soooo slippery! I love sliding around and generally having lots of fun in it!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Snow is only nice for skiing... But yep, boots are the things to wear in winter. When I travel to cold places, I always take a pair of warm boots to be sure I still wear heels... :oops:

But yes, I prefer summer and wearing clogs without socks... :)

Marc

Hi Terry and Marc,

naturally everyone likes the summer! But only if it's not so hot like the summer of 2003. Temperatures over 40 Cel for weeks in Frankfurt - that was no fun :x The first signs of a change of climate?!?

I like the four seasons in the northern hemisphere. The coulored leaves in the forests in autumn and the snowed up mountains in winter - I won't never miss them. And its the time for wearing boots :o

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

well I live in southern calif micha, & I'll tell you (I'm sure that you know any ways) that there has been a series of really bad storms that have brought record amounts of rainfall & in the mountains record snow! :) I try to water proof my leather boots (even the fake leather ones can usually benefit from this as well) so I love winter as the chance to wear my boots more often. there may indeed be a climate change happening, its hard to tell @ this point.

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I have to put up with the snow and slush up here in upstate NY. I have tried a lot of different things from boots to flats etc. I usualy end up wearing what I want for the day when I drive to work with my wife , I can make the walk from the parking lot to work , most of the time without getting to wet etc. Sometimes I just change into open toed slides (like my dr scholl sasys) or something else when I get to my office. And then change back when I leave. Wearing summer shoes inside durring the winter kinda makes you feel a little less depressed about the weather. But open toes suck when you go outside for a smoke! funny enough , most of the time I have trouble on floors of stores when I first go in ... you know the first 5 to 10 feet of wet crap on the floor , you have to get past ... for some reason I always almost slip there. the only time I ever did really slip in my heels was winter last year , outside , having a smoke ... wearing red pumps with ankle starp ..(nice shoes by the way) and was walking along while smoking and went right on my arse .... Not hurt but worse , was wintnessed by my smoking buddies ... who couldn't stop laughing ...oh well ... can't always be graceful can we?

It's not only stores, but most buildings have shiny marble or tile floors which are like ice with wet shoes. Why they persist in this for looks rather than anti-skid for safety always upsets me. Maybe a few lawsuits would change things, but it's been decades and nothing has changed.

I like Winter. Here in the UK we don't usually get enough snow for it to be much of a problem, and there's a part of me that will be forever a child that still loves snow! It's also boot season! Lots to choose from in the shops and plenty of chances to see women wearing them. I don't like the long nights though. Chris

its a tow edged sword for me. although it flushes out all the ladies in there boots and leather coats,gloves,etc...i dont like it because i can't use outdoor venues to swim/wade in my fetish boots and leather. i have to use the shower or indoor motel pools...which can get pricey