Heels in public

chris100575

I did it! This afternoon Daz and I met up for a walk around Ladybower in the Derwent Valley. I took my Faith stiletto boots in case I was feeling brave, and my new knee boots which are less obvious.

I started off in my Faith boots, but they were very obvious and I didn't feel comfortable in them. At one point a guy came past on a push bike and nearly rode into a parked car he was so busy turning round to stare! I actually thought it was quite funny! I changed into my knee boots after a few minutes, as I did feel too obvious clicking along on my metal-tipped stilettos.

After a quick pit stop, we walked right the way round the reservoir. Despite the fact that my heels were fully exposed either nobody noticed, or they did but didn't say anything. Either way was fine. Only being used to wearing heels around the house, my feet were pretty sore, but nothing I couldn't handle until we got back to the car. I'm not sure how far we walked, but we were out for a couple of hours.

It was two landmarks, not only my first time wearing heels in public, but the first time I ever recall looking forward to getting them off!

Chris

Posted Image

Well done, you've now found out how easy it is. It's good to have some moral support too. I was surprised at how different walking outside is compared to walking indoors on carpet. What a shoe feels like inside is no indication of how it will feel after a bit of walking. In Italy a couple of weeks ago, I wore some stiletto boots I've had for six months but never worn outside before. After about half an hour my left foot was in agony. I couldn't understand it. All was revealed when I went back to the hotel, and on investigation found a piece of cardboard packaging about 3" x 2" still in there. After that they were very comfy.

yeah well done chris. you handled it pretty well for the first time out. Like myself once youve took the guts to get out of the car, seen that a few people dont notice or react, you get more confident and the experience becomes more enjoyable. I think i pretty much distracted you anyhow with all the problems i had to tell you. From my side i took my mk one 4.5in block boots to half way where we went, then on the way back, changed into my 4.5in denim stilettos. Overall walk wise i had a good time, and enjoyed the chance to wear my heels again, however im going through probably the most difficult and upsetting stage of my life at the moment, so my mind isnt exactly straight in any fashion. In fact im suprised i didnt end up jumping off the dam :-? daz

Chris100575:-) Congratulations all around to you on you first ever outing. There should be no stopping you now. Each time you go out you will be less nervous and you will notice that it is exciting and much more fun. The first time that Mickey and I went out street-heeling, I was so nervous that I sweated my clothes so much by the time we go back that you would have thought that I had been out in a heavy rain storm wthout any protection. All of this eases as time goes by. Enjoy. Forborkenvv:-) What you say is so true about the difference in walking inside on carpets and bare floors and walking outside on the various pavements and non-pavements that you encounter on your route from place to place. It takes practice and skill gained only by repeating your outings as much as possible and as often as possible. Daz:-) Hang in there and get a grip on whatever is difficult and up-setting in your life at the moment. Thinking about jumping off of the Dam won't solve anything and will only put more stress on your loved ones. Besides that, you will not like the alternative results. Think about it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Emma: I am indeed oop North, not far from Buxton. I had underestimated how different wearing heels outside feels. The path over the dam is all gravelly, and very uncomfortable to walk on. It was also surprising how quickly my feet started to ache, that's what comes of only being used to wearing them around the house! Despite the discomfort, I did really enjoy being out in my heels and it was good to meet up with Daz again. Chris

A couple of more times out walking and they will feel much better. I find after I have had mine on for a while driving, my feet become accustomed to them and walking sfter driving works out well for myself. Have a great time out nice wearing...Jim

Walking on the give in a carpet I find a bit untrustworthy, especially the way my joints are these days. Then also, you are only taking a few steps at a time. I am much more rock solid and confident when walking on a hard pavement or a hard flooring and I can walk much better. Cheers--- Dawn HH

It was great to be able to actually walk in them, rather than just doing laps of the kitchen! Unfortunately many pairs of mine will never be street wear, as I prefer feminine styles. Still, I have got two pairs I know work pretty well. I don't know when I'll get the chance to wear them out again though, I'm coming off shifts next week and after working them for nearly seven years it's going to be a big change! Still, the main thing is that I have and the world didn't collapse. To be honest where we were was pretty isolated and we didn't see many people, but I think if we were somewhere crowded it would have been even easier. Chris

Yep, It will be better in a crowd. I cannot wear mine at home unless my wife is out which isn't often so out and about is my only chance and I have never had a concern, just enjoyment. The longest wearing I have had was last Christmas, shopping all day at the mall with major amount of walking. Had a great day but some tired feet at the end. Hope you get out again soon...Jim

Chris100575:-) Having more feminine styles to wear outdoors hasn't stopped a lot of the board members from street-heeling in them and they seem to be able to pull it off successfully. Get out and street-heel as often as you can now that you know what it is all about. Enjoy it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Well, I am really disappointed in myself. I had planned to go out on my first ever proper street-heeling expedition tonight, aided by the cover of darkness. Most of my collection would not be suitable due to being excessively high/pointy/noisy/attention getting, but I do have a pair of black matt leather over the knee pull-on boots with 4" stiletto heels with plastic tips - a nice easily manageable height, and not too noisy either. I have chickened out for 3 reasons: 1. All my trousers and jeans are not long enough and the leg only just reaches the floor when standing bare-footed, plus they are all pretty light in colour. I will buy some longer (I wear a 32" inside leg, so maybe 36" leg?) boot-cut trousers in black - that should enable me to get away with it, and they can be my special high-heel-only trousers. 2. Most of the major towns around here are infested with "Chavs" and louts who mainly seem to come out at night. I am worried that they might spot me and give me a hard time - the last thing I need on my first proper outing. I have read that many of the guys on this forum have had their worst reaction from these types, so I need to research my route/location a little better - preferably somewhere I will not run into anyone I know. 3. Those boots have no zipper/fastenings of any kind and they take a while to squeeze my feet through the rather narrow ankle. Once on, the fit is great, but I am well and truly stuck in the boots until I can get home and lie on my back, where I can use both arms to pull and pull. It typically takes me 2-3 minutes to get each boot off with the aid of furious ankle wiggling. Perhaps I should select a pump that I can whip off at a moment's notice and run for it/change into a pair of flats. Or perhaps not. Being stuck in those boots in public has a certain kind of wicked appeal to it - it would certainly make it more exciting! I have a pair of Jante 4" stiletto heels in an otherwise very plain style, also with plastic heel tips. They are so obviously more “femme” though, so I have kind of discounted those. I think the boots would work better. I also have ankle boots with only 3" heels, but those heels are really microscopically thin and metal-tipped, not to mention uncomfortable! I suppose I could buy some shoes/boots that would fit my frame better (I am 6'2" tall and on the wrong side of 250 pounds :-?. I am really not interested in block heels, and blade heels are even more of an aesthetic disaster to my eye. I don't mind a sturdy heel that tapers to a less thick tip. I really don't like it when it looks like the heel of the shoe contributes 50% of its mass!

Allyx:-) I also have a pair of black matt stretch over-the-knee boots which I recently bought and I street-heeled in them under my boot-cut jeans for the first time the other day while doing a couple of chores out and about. I never had such a pair of boots like them before and I have exactly the same problems as you do with them. When I put them on, I have a lot of trouble getting my foot through the narrow ankle part, but when on they fit perfectly and are quite comfortable. In order to aid my grip on the material, I put on a pair of wrist-length leather gloves and place my foot against the floor and wiggle until I can get my foot down into the bottom of the boot. Like you said, it takes me 2 to 3 minutes until I can get the boot foot and the shaft into their proper place. When I remove them, it takes me another 2 to 3 minutes to get them off again. I push the shaft down as far as I can while sitting on a chair, and grab the top of the boot toe with one hand and the sole with the other hand and pull and wiggle as hard as I can until I can get my foot out of the boot. I don't know whether it is the nature of the beast or not as I have only worn them around the house twice and only once out in public and they may loosen up a bit later. Cheers--- Dawn HH

2. Most of the major towns around here are infested with "Chavs" and louts who mainly seem to come out at night. I am worried that they might spot me and give me a hard time - the last thing I need on my first proper outing. I have read that many of the guys on this forum have had their worst reaction from these types, so I need to research my route/location a little better - preferably somewhere I will not run into anyone I know.

What's the definition of 'Chavs' .... I can guess that it means yobs or people looking for a bit of bovver.

..... anyway, it's been said before that the best time to wear heels is in daylight when these characters don't feel so emboldened with lots of other people about.

Xa

Chavs are the same as Neds. The typical male chav uniform consists of a knock-off Burberry cap, blue and white striped jumper, running bottoms tucked into socks and knock-off Rockport shoes. Optional accessories include gold jewellry from Argos, and a semi-legal girlfriend wearing too much make-up and not enough clothes, usually with visible love-bites and a bottle of White Lightning. The ultimate chav vehicle is a 1.1 litre Vauxhall Nova. This will have a Mitsubishi Evo style bodykit, oversized alloy wheels, and a shopping list of performance car parts / tuners stickers down the driver's door. According to chav lore, each sticker provides a 5bhp boost. Naturally, none of the parts / companies have ever been anywhere near the car, and are often not available for it in any case. eg the Mugen sticker I saw one sporting. Chavs naturally have two habitats, either wandering aimlessly around town centres or, for those blessed with the fire-breathing Nova, showing it off to other chavs in McDonalds carparks. Chris

Chavs http://www.chavscum.co.uk

Back on topic, I understand Allyx wanting longer trousers to cover the heels, and luckily Mrs shyguy has just bought me 2 pairs of jeans with an excellent length and style for covering heels from Matalan at £12 each. But I am short and its easy to get jeans which are too long :-?

Allyx, I hope you get to wear your preferred styles outside one day and thanks for posting about it here too.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Chris- excellent description and bloody funny as well :D Allyx - Join us on one of our heel meets. OK, it is broad daylight but we will deal with any chavs (probably by ignoring them :-? ) You don't have to wear heels but you may get ideas or confidence from the others,

Chris, I love that description!!. In our area they are mostly Honda's. Lowered, blacked out windows, big 'ol muffler hanging low in the back, tires with a sidewall so small you almost canlt see it.. Jim

I do plan to come along one of these days. I'll need to take a day off work, as I believe all your heelmeets have taken place during the week. I think I will be strictly observing for the first one. In fact, it will be the general public I will be keeping my eyes on. I want to see exactly what kind of reactions you get. It's not that I don't believe that nobody notices, but I wonder if those of you who are brave enough to street-heel in broad daylight really care what others think. You might be oblivious to genuine stares. I do know I'm being silly. If I want to wear shoes or boots that have funny shapes attached to one end, then that is my perogative. But I have always been a self-conscious beast at the best of times. This is not helped by the fact that I regularly get stopped by total strangers who stare at me and ask if they know me from somewhere, or if I am on TV. I have no idea why this happens so much, as I have never met or seen anyone else who looks even *remotely* like me. But one thing is for sure, I have a very memorable personality and face (and shape!). People who meet me once seem to remember me for years. I have the memory of a goldfish, and whenever I get stopped in the street, I have to pretend I know the person from somewhere - just in case I am supposed to know them!

Jim, I think you might be referring to the street-racers as featured in "The Fast and the Furious". Hondas are far too good to start with for a Chav to bother with upgrading. I believe the object of the excercise is to take a crap car and upgrade it by making it even worse. There is the notable exception of the Honda CRX, which was really an excellent rocket-powered rollerskate, especially in VTEC form. I once saw a chav who had attempted to ruin a CRX, but failed miserably. I do believe he managed to get as far a debadging it for that bewinged anonymous chavmobile look...