Advice -- High heels

buffy

Hello, I am new here, and this seems just the place to ask for some help... I usually wear platforms or heels but not higher than 4-5cm.... I am getting married soon and my shoes are 9cm..... I have been trying to walk in them and look ridiculous, I was told to maybe cut down the heel to 7cm, any suggestions how to walk and look normal? Thanks :roll:

Buffy,

Have you already found Jenny's website? It contains an extensive guide on "how to wear high heels successfully", including training tips.

http://jennyspage.co.uk/wearing.htm

And then you should practice, practice, practice ...

That will take time though - I hope you have enough time left until your wedding day arrives.

Good luck, and I wish you a great wedding day and marriage.

Buffy,

You should build up your training gradually, it is not like you start wearing them all day long straight from the start :-)

For example, Jenny mentions how to build up doing "heel raises": start with doing them for 3 seconds and repeat 3 times, and in the end do it for 10 seconds and repeat 10 times. That is to be built up over days and weeks, not in 1 day! But you can do such exercises several times per day.

(taken from http://jennyspage.co.uk/wearing2.htm#train )

About being able to wear high heels or not: unless there is a medical reason, you probably can wear "some form of high heels". I deliberately use that strangelooking phrase, because different people have different ideas as to when heels should be called "high". the size of your foot plays an important role in how high you could go. Wearing a 3½ inch heel is easier when you are a size 8 UK then when you wear a size 5 UK: your foot is less "steep" on the same heel height.

But those are just general observations. Experienced wearers are probably a much better source of practical information for you than I can be.

It would be nice to hear later from you, how things went on your wedding day and during your training.

how often should I practice?

Hi Buffy,

Practice in your wedding shoes as much as possible, but listen to your feet - when they start to ache, change to a lower heel. This means that at first you may only manage an hour or so, but after a few days or weeks you will be able to manage a whole day (which you will need to cope with for your wedding).

You say that you usually wear heels of 4-5cm. Is that your normal height for work, and out & about? If so, it might be worth buying some shoes around 7cm high and try wearing these to work as your normal day to day shoes. (And still practice in your wedding shoes in the evenings.)

If you only wear 4-5cm heels occasionally, try wearing them much more often.

This should all help you master the higher heels. Good luck with your wedding! :roll:

Thank you!.. you are right last time I was on the shoes for an hour and after that I had to take them off....my dress maker suggested I also wear the shoes around the house e.g. while I iron or other activites that aren't "dirty"... I have a very small foot (36 European 4 UK)... but the shoes aren't uncomfortable... I actually found out that wearing high heels is easier on carpets than on the stone floor I have at home...

UK size 4!!?? for that foot size that small you are wearing an equivalent of a 10 to 11 cm heel, but it's manageable to adapt to with some time. I think the most important question is how close are you to your wedding day?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Well in that case get your self a few more pairs to have for daily wear in various heights for training. You should be able to master them before your wedding day. Also check in once in a while, there are a number of members who are women that could help you out as well. I have one more suggestion, find a pair of heels that are higher like a half inch or more difference than the ones you are going to wear at the wedding and just wear them around the house when doing chores. You don't have to master them to wear them all day long, but they will stretch your foot so when you wear your wedding shoes they feel much lower and easier to wear then before.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hi Buffy! As one of the Forum's lady wearers of very high heels, I think I can help you! In fact, it is very important to help you master 9 cm heels, because that will not only help you look good on your wedding day, but will be invaluable in launching you into an enjoyable lifetime of high heel wearing! It is such fun, and will help you in many ways! Here are some random points: 1. You CANNOT cut an existing pair of 9 cm heels down to 7 cm! The shoe's "balance" would be destroyed. Instead of the toe-box being flat on the ground, the shoe would rock backwards and the toe would stick up into the air. 2. Can I suggest your reading the early chapters of my "Lucy's Story" (my life in high heels) - find the thread below "Stories With A Heely Theme" and click on to "Lucy's Story". This will prevent you from looking ridiculous. Girls usually think they look ridiculous if the heels make their knees stick forward or their bottom stick backwards, or they don't know how to wear the high heels with elegance and dignity. My chapters at Business Acadamy describe the excellent training that I received in all those things. Also, if you cannot stand in high heels for more than an hour, read my chapters 22 to 24a,b,c on footcare and tips to lessen such problems. 3. Don't despair or give up! 9 cm is not that high, even for a size 4 UK foot. I only take a size 5 (4 1/2 in some brands) , and my story relates how I graduated from 2" (5 cm) kitten heels to 6" (15 cm) ultra-high heels, and the story is still ongoing! You will never regret it - it will give you an accomplishment for life! 4. Lastly, much of it is in the mind. Don't feel ridiculous! tell yourself that high heels always make a girl more elegant, attractive, sexy and sensuous! ENJOY wearing in them and moving in them and living in them! Savour the THRILL that they can give us girls when we put them on, and glide and slink around in them! Wear them every day, even for a few minutes, and then the next day for a bit longer and so on. Believe me, if you stick to this advice and ENJOY it, you'll soon find yourself mastering them and feeling GOOD in them, until your like me or Anita or Anne-Louise in that you LOVE wearing them every day, and eventually instead of wanting to go lowever that 9 cm, you'll find yourself wanting to go higher, just as I describe myself doing in my stories, and like the other lady members of this Forum describe. Good luck, and relax, and ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE! Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

Hello,

I am new here, and this seems just the place to ask for some help... I usually wear platforms or heels but not higher than 4-5cm.... I am getting married soon and my shoes are 9cm..... I have been trying to walk in them and look ridiculous, I was told to maybe cut down the heel to 7cm, any suggestions how to walk and look normal?

Thanks

:roll:

Hi, Buffy!

While you can train to wear a higher heel, it definately takes time. If you push it, you can wind up with ankle problems, or worse - one misstep and you may be wearing crutches down the aisle, not heels.

If you're used to wearing 4cm heels and want to go to 9cm, obtain several pairs of heels with intermediate heel heights. To save $, check out Payless, Walmart, etc.

Wear a 5cm heel for about 20 minutes, then go back to wearing a 4cm heel for the rest of the day. Take some time off the heels, too, at least 2 hours a day wearing flats/barefoot/slippers, etc.

Do that for a week, then include a 6cm heel in the routine, wearing first the 5cm heel for 20 min, then the 6cm heel for 20 minutes.

Repeat until you're wearing a 5cm, 6cm, 7cm, 8cm, and 9cm heel for 100 minutes (20 minutes each).

After your fifth week you'll be ready to wear the 9cm heels at your wedding!

By the way - forget the "no pain, no gain" mantra, as pain is an indicator you're doing something more than your body can handle. If you experience anything worse than "mild discomfort," you're pushing too hard.

By the way - it took me two weeks for me to work up from my 4" (10.6cm) heeled Franco Sarto boots (icon on the left) to these 4.5" (11.43cm) heeled sandals from Payless, and I wear a size 11 US!

Posted Image

When I first began, standing up straight resulted in slight ankle pain. I followed the plan I oulined above, using these and another pair of 4-1/4" (10.795cm) heeled sandals to make the transition.

I'm not going any higher (dry your eyes, people) but the novelty of knowing I could wear something higher if I wanted to is nice, and by pushing the envelope a bit I'm much more comfortable wearing my 4" Franco Sartos.

Almost forgot - tuning your posture will help, as well, giving you grace and poise. Imagine a string is attached to the crown of your head. Imagine the string is being slowly pulled, straight up. Let your head rise with it, and let you neck, back, and legs follow your head. Keep pulling until you're standing tall without any additional discomfort. Relax your other muscles and practice pulling that imaginary string while walking in heels.

You won't look the least bit ridiculous - you'll look terrific!

Hello again Buffy! I'm delighted to see that you are reading my Story - I hope it helps! I must just post again and respond to Genebujold's above advice. I think that in my experience, for the vast majority of us girls, it is far too daunting and over-cautious and might put you off. We girls are more supple than the average fella, and in all of my long experience, most of us girls find little or no difficulty in going straight from flat to 9 or 10 cm (3 1/2" or 4"), which, after all, is only medium height. Apart from my kitten heels bought by Mummy (which were so low that I hardly wore them), I went straight into 4" heels, as in my story, and so did quite a few other girls posting on this forum. Buffy, unless you are one of the tiny minority of girls whose legs are lacking in suppleness, you should be absolutely fine going straight into your 9 cm (3 1/2") heels, as long as you don'y overdo the time spent in them each day. As I have already said, on the first day only walk around in them for a few minutes, but then increase this a little each day. When you can manage two or three hours around the house, then go on a short shopping trip in them, and then a bit longer etc. At the risk of upsetting Genebujold, speaking as a woman with many heel-wearing girlfriends and business colleagues, I really think it will unnecessarily slow things down if you work up in tiny little heel-height increments, unless of course, you are one of those very rare girls with inflexible ankles. Most of all, let's hear that you are making progress towards that all-important wedding day! Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

HI.. At the moment I can definately wear the heels for a long period of time but I do look silly walking in them i.e. my balance isn't right...also because it is very hot at the moment my feet aren't happy about being in heels but I am taking it slowly and will see how I progress with the heels.

Lucy - this is not a contest. There are no gold medals for highest heel wearer - and many serious, and sometimes problems for those who tried too high, too fast.

If you and those you hang with are capable, more power to you!

But the average individual, be it guy or girl, needs to work up to these things. Joints do not accomodate significant changes in activity overnight. Far too many would-be atheletes lie semi-maimed on the sidelines as testimony.

I am one.

My sister-in-law is a sports physiologist who has helped me tremendously in my recovery from a very bad ankle sprain I received while playing soccer in 1996.

While our earlier conversations focused on physical therapy, when she learned of my heel wear as an alternative response a few years ago, the discussions turned to high heel wear.

She wears high heels.

On occasion.

Bottom line, she and others at the university hospital where she works see many patients who, for a variety of reasons, pushed their bodies farther, and faster, than their bodies were willing to adjust.

You may very well be in the top 10% in terms of those who're able to adjust the farthest and the fastest with the least damage!

But when you encourage others to "follow in your footsteps" you encourage them to run a serious risk of temporary, possibly permanent ankle damage that about 30 years from now will have them walking with a cane.

Yes - most people can wear higher heels - but only if the rate of increase is commensurate with their own body's ability to compensate for the change, and that rate depends on many varibles which may be quite different from your own, include the composition of hormones running through your body to overall nutrition levels to BMI ratios to repair factor to genetics, including tendancies towards rh arthritis and other auto-immune responses.

Just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for others, and by claiming it does you seriously risk their health.

I hope the readers of this post will scroll back to the comments I posted earlier about how to slowly, safely, increase heel height. This information is the recommendation of medical professionals (not me) who've said "if you must do it, then do it this way."

That doesn't mean that wearing heels is inherently bad for you!

What it means is that everyone's body is different. Everyone responds to physical stressors, particular in the joints, differently, and that difference depends on many factors totally outside the wearer's control.

When I was 15 I played tackle football without helmets, pads, or cleats. In the snow. On the ice surface of a frozen lake. In jeans, a pair of thermal underwear, and a flannel shirt.

When I was 19 I could run 5 miles at the drop of a hat, and usually out-sprint even the most conditioned runner at the end.

When I was 21 I used to leap off an 87 foot high cliff near where I went to school.

When I was 26 I could run 3 miles in 19 minutes.

When I was 27 I rode a bike more than 45 minutes in less than 3 hours.

When I was 28 I climbed Half Dome (Yosemite) wearing a full pack (45 pounds), and back (19 miles from our campsite) in 14 hours. Up and back down more than 4,000 verticle ascent.

When I was 33, I ran a six-mile race in Charleston, barely completing it.

I'd already begun degrading with age. Some people don't, some people do. Some people, by the time they're 18, are in the same condition I am at 41. Some people, by the time they're 35, are in the same condition I was at 18.

My point is - everyone is different.

Please do not try to hyperencourage others to do what you can do simply because you can do it.

Have the caring and the sensititivity to understand others may outpace you, or lag far behind, or fall somewhere between. Encourage others where they're at, instead of where you would like yourself to be.

If someone wants to up their heel height 1/2" per year, say "that's great!"

And say the same thing if they say, "I'm sorry, but I'm topped out at three inches."

True - this is indeed a "high heel" website. But what good do we do if we make lame a few people who would have been quite happy at half the heel height we wear?

Please consider the tone of your posts, folks. If you sincerely expect to receive respect for wearing higher heels, reciprocation is in order - you must be willing to respect others for remaining, regardless of their reason, at a lower heel (or even flats).

Thank you for your understanding.

Wow!

Hmmmmmm! Unless I'm wrong, 45 minutes is less than 3 hours (180 minutes) isn't it? :rofl:

(Didn't you mean "miles" instead of "minutes"?)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba 136 said

Wow! Quote:

Hmmmmmm! Unless I'm wrong, 45 minutes is less than 3 hours (180 minutes) isn't it?

Was it microwave bicycle???

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Wow!

Hmmmmmm! Unless I'm wrong, 45 minutes is less than 3 hours (180 minutes) isn't it? :rofl:

(Didn't you mean "miles" instead of "minutes"?)

And if you divide one into another you've got a dimensionless quantity!

It's been a while since I worked with Reynold's numbers...

Hi Buffy, I feel sad that your simple thread has become so cluttered and confused and off-topic, when all you wanted was some simple advice! Don't for goodness sake be put-off by anyone over-complicating a straightforward thing like going into 9 cm (3 1/2") heels. Anyone would think you were talking about going into 6" heels! In my opinion, anyone saying that the average girl wanting to go into that fairly modest height needs to work up to it in small increments is nothing but an over-fussy alarmist. As a businesswoman wearing heels daily, I have freqented many ladies' shoe-shops for over four decades and have seen thousands and thousands of girls (including large numbers of my own friends and colleagues) go straight from flat or near-flat shoes into 3 1/2" (or commonly 4" or 4 1/2") with no ill-effects whatsoever. You only have to spend a morning or afternoon in such a shop, and you will see it all the time! The suppleness of girls' feet and ankles (as opposed to boys') allows the vast majority of them to accommodate immediately with no problem at all. It is only when encountering heel heights around 5" plus that a noticeable percentage of girls start having difficulties. I did qualify my earlier postings by saying that you might just be one of a small minority girls with stiffer, less flexible joints, in which case Genebujolds advice might just be useful to you. However, You have already said that you can already cope with having heels on for a decent period, and I am worried that Gene's incredible long and convoluted posting might put you off the whole idea of wearing heels without giving it a chance. You say that your balance is the only problem. Is this the fore-and-aft balance (where you feel that the heels are pushing you forward off-balance) or the side-to-side balance (where you are wobbling sideways on your heels)? Love, Lucy

After I doubled checked my conversions from metric to standard the previous ones I did from my head before were inaccurate, :) Sorry, oh well... Any way considering that Buffy is a size UK 4 adapting to a what is a equivalent of a 4" heel should not be a problem for her, considering that I was wearing 4" heels (in a size 12) with in a short period time when I started wearing heels. Men take longer to adjust to heels because we wear flat shoes during most of our lives, so our feet are less flexible. Buffy, forget what I said before, Lucy is right about it easer for women to start wearing higher heels. Just put those wedding shoes, or equivalents on and just walk, but make sure you listen to your feet. :roll:

I did qualify my earlier postings by saying that you might just be one of a small minority girls with stiffer, less flexible joints, in which case Genebujolds advice might just be useful to you. However, You have already said that you can already cope with having heels on for a decent period, and I am worried that Gene's incredible long and convoluted posting might put you off the whole idea of wearing heels without giving it a chance.

Lucy - I have no desire to get into an arguement with you. But I care more for her desire to attend the wedding in any heel than in the highest she can possibly achieve.

You and those who frequent your store may very well be among the top 1% with respect to the ability to wear heels. Or even the top 50%.

That doesn't matter.

What does matter is your demeaning my post about trying "put her off the whole idea of wearing heels." Any rational reader (who actually read my post) would thoroughly understand that is not what I was attempting to do, as explained above.

Furthermore, I find your comment about her being among the "small minority girls with stiffer, less flexible joints" quite classist. Please do not take what God has given you and turn it into a way to look down on and demean others!

Then you add the sexist claim about how "the suppleness of girls' feet and ankles (as opposed to boys') allows the vast majority of them to accommodate immediately with no problem at all." Judging from the sharp responses to an earlier post, I strongly believe the majority of men on this board will take exception to this claim - but I'll let them speak their own piece, if they even debase themselves with a response.

A love of high heels is one thing. Fanaticism to the detriment of another's health is another.

Gene - What horrible and unfair things to say to Lucy! Your verbosity is exceeding only by your arrogance and your ability to twist and distort her words. To correct your distortions: She was clearly talking about all of the thousands of girls who she has seen buying high heels in shoe shops, not 1% or 50% of them as you misleadingly interpret it. She emphatically did not demean Buffy as having stiffer joints than some girls. On the contrary, she said that because Buffy reported than she was able to stand in her wedding shoes for decent periods, flexibility did not appear to be the problem. In any case, in answering Buffy's call for help and advice, Lucy has clearly been trying to help Buffy to the best of her very considerable experience and ability, not trying to demean her in the slightest. Regarding women normally being more supple than men, it is an unquestionable accepted fact, in the same way as men are more strongly muscled than women. Why should you pillory Lucy for re-stating it? At my fitness classes, I always envy the fact that the women can touch their toes, stand more vertically on tip-toe and perform many other contortions much more easily than us men. Although I regularly street-heel in 5" heels (and now and again in 5 1/2"), I can't do it nearly as much suppleness and fluidity as women. Why should it upset me or any of the other guys if Lucy reminds us of the accepted normal differences in supplety between the sexes? Whilst I recognise that you and I are both street-heeling guys who might like to try and pontificate about heels, this is the "For The Gals" Forum. If I were Buffy, I know it wouldn't be guys like us that I'd be listening to, it would be the nice, warm-hearted, ultra-experienced heel-wearing Lucy! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Heelfan, in response to your post, I took great pains to re-read both Lucy's and my own posts very carefully, and very open-mindedly, considering all of your comments with the utmost adherence to every sense of chivalry and fair play.

Having thoroughly reviewed all postings and your concerns, I have absolutely no recourse but to stand by my original posts. That she demeaned my post by calling it "incredible long and convoluted" is beyond question - it's right here for all the wold to see. Same goes for her wrongly saying I was trying to put Buffy off of wearing heels, when it's clear beyond question I spent considerable time and effort outlining a plan whereby she might have success (rather than failure) by her wedding day. What I labeled as "sexist" is also just 11" away from this line, readily viewable by anyone interested in the facts.

The tone of Lucy's post was as it was - those are her choice of words - as were yours. And I respect that! As I do the tone of your own post.

I must ask, however, as one friend to another, why, exactly, are you riding my case, Heelfan?

Is it because I cared enough about two newbies to interject and say, "woah! There's a right way and wrong way to go about increasing one's heel height, and the "just go for it approach" may work for a few lucky people, but not the majority of us?" It so happens that's precisely the case, long since proven by medical science.

How would you have felt if I said nothing and Buffy stood at her wedding in crutches, having overdone a good thing at the zealous, yet ill-considered advice she received from this board? While this was an unlikely outcome, to be sure, it was nevertheless a looming potentiality, particularly with the well-intentioned, but ill-considered, one-sided advice she was receiving.

Yes, I care about Lucy! Just as much as I care about Buffy!

The issue isn't heels. The issue is what's right, and what's wrong. If Buffy wants to wear heels, then outlining a safe, workable plan with safety checks and workarounds was the right thing to do, regardless of how "convoluted" some might think it may be.

All of us deserve an equal say on this board, and I think all of us have had our say on this thread. I took the care and time to thoroughly reread, word for word, line by line, all posts on this thread.

All I ask, Heelfan, is that you do the same.

Finally, I refuse to take offense to any post on this thread.

Why?

Because we're friends! Think about it - how many more hours have we spent together supporting one another than your average group of barfellows? I'd say quite at least as much, if not quite a bit more.

All of us are fighting for a relatively common cause. Like all humans on the planet, however, we're bound to have disagreements.

Like this one.

Being friends is more than always being super-polite. The best of friends care enough about one another to risk rejection when they feel it's in the best interest of their friend (often at the expense of their own), to call into question a friend's error.

As expected, true friendship results in the occasional tiff.

Whatever, I've said here has been said kindly, gently, and without any malice whatsoever.

I care enough about my friends (that's all of you on every thread of this board) to share with you from my heart. Yes, it is indeed riskier - but it's a far healthier, more rewarding path, in the long run.

Even if you absolutely disagree with my approach, Heelfan, I sincerely hope you agree with my principles, as I value your friendship, and would hate to loose you as a friend.

Woah! Hold on fellas! Please remember that this is Buffy's simple little thread, and I'd hate your big autocation driving her away! Whilst I thank Heelfan for gallantly sticking up for me, I'm sure Buffy would agree with me that it will be much nicer if we can return to a friendly little girlie heel-chat. Genebujold, please don't wrongly accuse me of fanaticism. On the contrary, I've constantly spoken-out against such things as becoming "permanent" etc., and please appreciate how much time and trouble I've put into writing footcare and tendon-care advice for my fellow ladies. For the record, I was restricting my advice to Buffy to seeing no harm whatsover in girls choosing ORDINARY (3 1/2") height heels from ORDINARY ladies shoe shops to wear for ORDINARY lengths of time with a view to wearing them at an ORDINARY type of wedding i.e. being thoroughly ORDINARY throughout, as girls virtually everywhere on the planet are currently doing. What on earth is "fanatical" about my doing that? I leave other readers to judge whether that is "fanatical", or whether maybe they will choose to think you might be fanatical for carping on about the imperativeness having to work up to such an ordinary, modest heel height in gradual little stages. There you are Buffy! As Heelfan pointed out, you've got one view from a fella and one from me - take your choice. But importantly, as good old Hoverfly wisely pointed out, whichever route you take towards accustomising yourself to your wedding heels, just take notice at all times of what you feet say to you! Good luck and best wishes, Love, Lucy

Hi, Lucy - thank you for a very reasonable post! I'm in much agreement with your points, and glad we can close the loop on this issue. I do hope you understand I really had Buffy's best interests at heart without trying to unsafely limit her desires? Thanks again for your interjection.

Sometimes people say much more than is needed and, at other times, not as much as is needed. :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi... Well you will be glad to hear that I was practising this weekend and it is going really well, I still feel the heels are very high but I am looking more normal wearing them and the BF really likes them :roll:

Sounds good Buffy, I hope you will get some practice in during the week as well.