Fashion critique

xaphod

With the ease, courtesy of 'theforumisdown', we can include pics, I thought we could start a thread where we could post fashion shots (from the net or wherever).

The idea would be to share our critcisms, both good and bad, on the co-ordination and elegance of the whole outfit, naturally including the shoes.

To start, here's mine.

Posted Image

As you might have seen elsewhere, I don't normally go much on baggy thigh boots, but these are an exception. The way the designer has co-ordinated the bagginess of the boots with the top is rare. The overall black of the outfit matches the model's hair and the leopard print trim tones in with her face.

I can only guess that the heels are about 3", but with the looseness of the rest of the clothes, I guess this whole outfit would be reasonably warm and comfortable to wear.

I think this overall look allows a woman to wear thigh boots without looking fetishy, rather she looks more like best part of a million dollars.

Very dressy indeed, but I would prefer her having hair dropping down loose around her shoulders, to complete the long flowy looks of the boots. I agree this outfit alows a girl to wear thigh highs without looking tarty. Must feel great around the body with those leopard cuffs etc.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I think I understand the picture and the ideas of the comments... If you look rich, you look like you cost a lot, so no one would think you a tart or slut or any such thing. Money means class (how sad it has to be that way) so look like you have it, and change the image of the boots. In a way, I like the concept. :smile:

I think I understand the picture and the ideas of the comments... If you look rich, you look like you cost a lot, so no one would think you a tart or slut or any such thing. Money means class (how sad it has to be that way) so look like you have it, and change the image of the boots. In a way, I like the concept. :smile:

I have to admit that I didn't think it was possible for thigh high boots to not look tarty. This photo sure proves that wrong. Charlie P.S. I think I'm finally rid of those awful kitten heels now! :smile:

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Here's a style for Spring.

Posted Image

Timeless elegance, or just slightly wide of the mark. To me, it doesn't quite make it .... lose the umbrella or the sunglasses possibly ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xaphod on 2002-04-03 19:37 ]</font>

I like this second one, Xaphod. Yes, the umbrella must go, and different sun glasses are needed. But the outfit as a whole looks like something I would be happy to wear. I am sure I can put together an outfit very similar to that, but with a different colour for the sweater. I might do up one more button, however. I've been in storms while wearing heels, and some thin ones, even if they were not as high. I'd take the chance. :smile:

Hmmm, funnily enough, Laurie, I was thinking of saying something about buttons. I don't particularly like big buttons because they tend to draw attention to themselves and spoil the overall effect .... as for zip fasteners for sweaters yuck.

In this case, I think she has more buttons undone to show the cut of the dress, which you can just see between her cleavage and left shoulder. As it stands, it is a bit unsubtle. I suspect commercial off-the-peg dresses would be cut more modestly.

I just wonder .... those slightly browny red Legende pumps/courts would pick up on the lipstick and the nail varnish; however the usual bright red patent that is so favoured by the fetish shoemakers would push the whole look over the top.

It is very easy to change a sophisticated look into a tarty one by just one change of detail.

I am much more like #2 than #3. Many women who work in the same uilding as me are much like #3, and they all seem to have their perfect lives. Maybe men see me as unapproachable because I am not like everyone else? #3 is nice, but I think if the pants are going to stand out with the colour and material, the sweater should not have as many attention getting details. it is a bit busy. A red skirt might be a better option for that outfit, to bring the focus up more to a proper blend of the sweater and a short skirt. As it is, a frumpy sweater and tigh pants seem out of place. part fetish, part waife. Nice boots, of course

I like the styles in #2 & #3 also. In 3 I don't care for the color of the pants. Too much. But I love the boots. I should also add that the pants leg are short enough to show the boots. I've noticed some women would wear stiletto boots with pants that were to long and would cover most of the heel and boot. :smile: I hate that!

Well, som thoughts from me. Pic 1, very nice combination, however little dark coulors for me. She looks great in the way she is dressed, well composed. Perfect for a dinner in town or similar. Pic 2, free and lose clothing with nice high heels, but I would have prefered some boots. Once again the coulors are a little to dark for my taste. Perfect dressing for seing a museum, holiday in Austria or something like that. Pic 3, wow, here is some coulor, I think she is very nice dressed, perhaps a little to much plastic shine on pants and boots, but it doesnt matter that much. Perhaps perfect for clubbing or shopping in a big city like London. I'm a person who loves coulors and prefer coulors before black and white and grey, however the combination together could be very good.

I'll stick with #1 as being my favorite. I could do that type of look with little to no problem. I just love the way the black and the leopard print click together.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

On 2002-04-07 18:00, Beeblebrox wrote:

I'm a person who loves coulors and prefer coulors before black and white and grey, however the combination together could be very good.

Black rules! Everyone woman needs black in her wardrobe. I prefer a mix, though, as I agree that colours are important.

I love bright blouses and shirts, and black or dark coloured skirts. My tops are the most expressive part of me, with reds, purples, and blues being my favourite. Even pink is wonderful, and I hate pink. The whole pink is for girls stereotype.

Still, black is important, for dresses, skirts, sweaters, tops, whatever and whenever. And most importantly, for shoes. :smile:

Just make sure you have an endless supply of lint rollers. :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Black rules, and dark blue, purple and red. I think it depends on skin colour as well though. My skin is quite light and I don't think light colours suit it. This is even truer for women's fashions where more skn tends to be exposed.

It is true sometimes, Fox, but it depends on eye colour, hair colour, and other factors. When I was red, a light blue or teal did not look as good on me as it does now. Blond hair changed everything. Everyone has an image, a look, based on the body, and clothing then adds to it. Black still fits in so well, of course. :smile: And yes, hooray for showing more skin. It is a real bonus when the weather turns criminal and decides to by muggy.

Skin, well I tend to always show some. Like I never button my shirts/bouses to the top (ie to the neck), generally I have at least three buttons undone with shirts that button to the neck. Inga :smile: _________________ HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-04-08 11:52 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I have a simple way of deciding which coulor to wear. Wear the coulor you truly like and most times just that particular coulor is just perfect for you. Well, almost, persons with coulorblindness might get interesting combinations. Anyway, it is their reality who rules. not the surrounding, I hope. However, you might get rid of all socially created norms and values first. It is most likely in the same way as wearing heels.

• 1 year later...

I've got around to reloading some pics on the server and resurrecting some old threads .... have a look back to page 1.

Hope you like them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Personally, I think the photography of the second deserves merit.

Xa

I've got around to reloading some pics on the server and resurrecting some old threads .... have a look back to page 1.

Xa

What are those things on the right side of the first model's right boot?Looks like little buttons.

Michael

I just read an old article which was an interview with French shoe designer Christian Louboutin. Some excerpts: Q. How high is too high? A. It depends on what you do with your shoes. Shoes can be for different moments. I'm doing some shoes that I call "bed shoes." Some shoes should only be worn to the bed. A shoe [you wear] when you're nude, or in bed, can be really 6 inches high, I would say. But to walk in the streets, too high might be over 4 inches. But it depends on the woman. I love to design for the woman who feels it's never too high. Ain't no high heel high enough. That would be my song, actually. They didn't ask the obvious question: Do you ever wear high heels yourself? It sure came to my mind right away. :wink:

They asked that question to Manolo Blahnik, and he said no he didn't. "His shoes were made to enhance feminine grace and beauty etc etc ... (insert rest of sales pitch here! " It's interesting how all these designers can do their job without experiencing the problems and design issues for themsleves. Maybe they do try them but just don't admit it.

Maybe we need to send him an invitation to this board? His shoes only got to a size 11 as far as I know. I would wear a pair of those boots, but with a chunkier heel if they were available.

They asked that question to Manolo Blahnik, and he said no he didn't.

"His shoes were made to enhance feminine grace and beauty etc etc ... (insert rest of sales pitch here! "

It's interesting how all these designers can do their job without experiencing the problems and design issues for themsleves. Maybe they do try them but just don't admit it.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!