Springolators

Paul (North-East)

I came across this add which I asume is from the 50's advertising "Springolator" type mules. Apparently this elastic strap fitted to the sole of the shoe was designed to stop the mule from slipping off the foot.

Does anybody know if this actually worked and why this idea seemed to die out? Was it because the design of mules got better or perhaps it detracted from the visual aspect of the shoe?

Personally I think mules are sexier for having that slipping off danger element to them.

Any ideas anyone?

Posted Image

Thanks, Paul.

My goodness Paul - "Springolators" - I remember them well! Dreadful things! In the sixties, several shops proudly offered some of their mules as "Springolators". It was mules-for-wimps! When we put our feet into them, the elastic would push up from below, keeping the top of our feet in firm contact with the toe-strap, especially at the part of our stride when the shoe flops to it's maximum and would stand the greatest risk of flying off. For me, this totally spoiled the lovely loose, unfettered, slappy feel of a great pair of mules. Instead, my toes felt as if they were in a frumpy elastic stocking, and the slapping of the shoe became prim and ultra-safe and no longer daring and sensual. I only ever got two pairs of "Springolators", and on both pairs I ended up operating with a sharp Stanley knife and taking the springolator elastic out! After that they flew off from time to time, but that was part of the fun! Thanks for jogging yet another momory of the sixties, Paul! I hadn't heard the name "Springolator" for donkeys years! Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

What an interesting post, and an unusual topic. The ad was a great find Paul, and Lucy's input into the feeling of wearing them adds the icing to the cake. It does sound as if the springolator took the danger and excitement element away from the mules making them nothing more than shoes. Would be interesting to wear them and a normal mule and see the difference for myself. Great detective work finding that gem Paul, and great memory Lucy well described.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Terry DeHavilland used them on all his mules right up until the early 80s. The only difference was that they actually enhanced the experience because they made the mule slap as you walked.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I remember them well. The young girls where I worked all wore them, usually barefoot. I think that's what got me started with high heels. The spring-o-lator part disappeared after a while. It was patented.

OMG, I haven't thought of Springolators in decades! Those were the very first "real" heels I ever wore. They were my cousin Susan's and I took a walk around in her house while everybody else was outside having a cookout. My sister came in to use the bathroom and when she saw the terrified look on my face, she kept asking me if anything was wrong. I somehow managed to convince her I had just stood up suddenly and was dizzy for a moment -- she never noticed the shoes. Susan owned about 25 pairs of various colored spike heeled pumps and sandals (though I never saw her wearing anything but white canvas Keds sneakers). She kept them in their boxes on shelves under a vanity table in the bathroom. I used to spend hours in there trying to find a pair that fit, then she got the Springolators -- my feet could hang off the backs so I could wear them. Later that day I put them in a hall closet. A week later I came back and stole them! I don't know if she ever missed them or not; certainly nobody ever mentioned it to me...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In past years I never had the opportunity or the inclination to try wearing Spring-o-lators. At that time I stuck to wearing pumps and an occassional sling-back and wearing boots never entered my mind. I did date a lot of girls who wore mules and as soon as the Spring-o-lators hit the market they immediately went out and bought and wore them. Before that I was retreaving mules all of the time during my dates that would not stay on some very cute feet. The Spring-o-lators made my dates much more fun for the ladies and I could turn my attentions to other things of much more interest to both of us. A-H-H-H-H-H! Great times in the 50's and 60's. A great era in MY life, and the lives of all the pretty young girls that I dated. Cheers--- Dawn HH :roll:

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 4 years later...

Here is a link to an excellent spring-o-lator (springolator) website!

http://robynmichaels.home.sprynet.com/

~john

Mule Freak

Republic Shoes in Denver Colorado still has some new vintage spring-o-lators (springolators) high heels in stock.

http://www.republicshoes.com/

~john

Mule Freak

I remember them well. The young girls where I worked all wore them, usually barefoot. I think that's what got me started with high heels. The spring-o-lator part disappeared after a while. It was patented.

Ditto! Your experience is exactly the same as mine.

~john

Mule Freak

• 2 years later...

:winkiss:Hi. My Mom wore these in the early sixtys, and when I was twelve I started to sneak her clothes and learned to wear heels with her SpringOlaters. She caught me but didn't get freaked about it at all. In fact, she thought it was cute and bought me my first pair in black leather. I never looked back. I was allowed if not encouraged to share her wardrobe to some extent and had very happy teen years. I've worn womens clothes ever since high school and wore heels much of the time, but the spring o lators were my favorites. Just really fun to wear. I really miss their passing, since I'm retired and now live as a woman.

For me one of the joys of life is wearing a mule that gives the appearance that I am about to walk out of it with every step. As the others have mentioned, there is a daring sensation when I do wear a mule and a feeling of accomplishment that I wear one all day with no problems. I recall as a child watching mom clean a closet and come across two pairs of springolators. To satisfy my curiosity, she explained what the web was for and then slipped into them and took some steps to demonstrate their clinging power. In fact she wore them around the house all morning and well into the afternoon. I was fascinated by the lack of a heel cup or back strap and how mom's entire foot was visible. They did not reveal as much toe as today's mules do and the heel was more to the chunky side. A few months back I was at a local Goodwill just browsing around and came across a pair of springolators. I was disappointed when I discovered that they were a size 10 and I wear a size 8, and the web was not as taught as when the shoes were new, but yielding to my curious nature I slid into the left shoe. There were many customers with puzzled facial expressions as I glided about the store in one shoe and on crutches. The shoe still clung to my foot more than the mules of today. I returned two days later to purchase the springolators, but to my disappointment, they were gone. My thoughts were to purchase them and have them available to someone here that requested them. The store manager remembered me, took my phone number and promised that if springolators in any size should appear, she would set them aside and notify me. E

This is SUCH a useful post Honey. Of course, you know I love mules - and I can always trust you to find little gems like this.

I could buy them ALL....!!:)

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I first remember Springolators when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old back in the 50's. My parents were throwing a party with people from the neighborhood. I was fascinated by one of the ladies who was wearing this shoe that I'd never seen before. She could walk perfectly in them and I couldn't understand why. It was only sometime later when I began to visit the thrift stores in the 60's that I realized what made them work....that little elastic strap under the arch of your foot. I still remember this neighbor at another party taking one of her springolators off and pretending to whack the gentleman's hand that was sitting next to her. As a kid looking on, it was very mysterious to me and I wondered why all of the adults were laughing at her antics.

Looking to share my fetish with like-minded individuals. I love to wear classic opera pumps in public with 4-5 inch stiletto heels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:winkiss:Hi. My Mom wore these in the early sixtys, and when I was twelve I started to sneak her clothes and learned to wear heels with her SpringOlaters. She caught me but didn't get freaked about it at all. In fact, she thought it was cute and bought me my first pair in black leather. I never looked back. I was allowed if not encouraged to share her wardrobe to some extent and had very happy teen years. I've worn womens clothes ever since high school and wore heels much of the time, but the spring o lators were my favorites. Just really fun to wear. I really miss their passing, since I'm retired and now live as a woman.

wow- what interesting story. Would like to chat with you on our similiar interests of Springolators. Wow, thanks,

frank