Court shoes, Pumps

"Courts" is bicorz vey get court in ver graytin wen you step on ver graytin. "Pumps" is becorz wen vey fillup wiv worter wen it rayns, yer foot pumps ver worter aht evry time yer tayk a step. Innit? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan On a more serious note though, when the aristocracy had shoes for virtually every occasion ("Brogues" for perambulating in the country, buckled "Opera Shoes" for attending operas and galas, etc.) maybe the design of court shoes with plain, low-cut uppers was for attending court (although I can't guess as to whether this was the royal court or the various law courts), hence the name being bestowed upon the aforesaid footwear, m'Lud. Innit? Still Cheerful!, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Courts got their name because they were worn at court, pumps came from the pumpmen (coachmen) who used to wear plimsoll type shoes which were slip on without laces. Heeled courts are not called pumps in the UK. Pumps are still the plimsoll type flat shoes mainly worn for sport or gymnastics.

Thanks for that information. When pumps have a strap across the front they are often called Mary Janes. Are they still pumps or are Mary Janes yet another name?

I would say that Mary Janes are a completely different style. I believe pumps/courts have no additional straps with maybe the exception of ankle straps.

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Courts got their name because they were worn at court, pumps came from the pumpmen (coachmen) who used to wear plimsoll type shoes which were slip on without laces. Heeled courts are not called pumps in the UK. Pumps are still the plimsoll type flat shoes mainly worn for sport or gymnastics.

................................................................... What you say is true of the U.K. I've read in a book by an expert here in the U.S. that the word pump was given to high heels because they resembled the handles on the old time waterpumps..............Larry.

Love those heels!

Mary Janes are little girls shoes. Usually worn with white ankle socks, pinafore dresses and startched white blouses.

These are Mary Janes:Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

No matter where in the world you live, and no matter what you call them, as long as they have a high heel and can give you that sensuous feeling the first time you slip your feet into them and then to get another feeling at the same time when you first stand up in them, you can call them anything you want because the name will not change any of those incredible feelings. I just love buying and wearing new heels and boots and the pleasures they give me. And those pleasures and feelings never wane as time goes on. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey! I really like this style. Even though the heels are just short of 3",I think they're very chic and would go well with trousers.

Posted Image

How about it, JeffB? What do you think?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hey! I really like this style. Even though the heels are just short of 3",I think they're very chic and would go well with trousers.

Posted Image

How about it, JeffB? What do you think?

Oh, yes! Those shoes DO look mighty interesting indeed! The style and colors would work quite nicely with dress pants at the office. The lizard print is da bomb! I like 'em! I like 'em! Did you happen to notice what sizes they go up to? As everyone here knows, I lumber around in size 13 battleships, but I can work either wide or medium widths.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Bubba136:-) JeffB:-) I quite agree with both of you fellows. Those colors and style would certainly work well for office use. Very nice. I would need a bit of a chunkier heel for my use and I still think it would preserve the style and look of the shoe. Jeff, in the size of shoe that you need, the heel would be over 3", but well within your range for work use. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Jeff, in the size of shoe that you need, the heel would be over 3", but well within your range for work use.

Well, that would be fine with me. I think I've mentioned a time or two in other posts that I can't bring myself to wear anything LOWER than three inch heels, so that shoe would work just fine. Besides, it's just so damn stylish!!! :D

At http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Emarc-carlson/shoe/RESEARCH/GLOSSARY/define.htm, I found this definition:

PUMPS - First mentioned in the 16th Century, a low cut turnshoe, thin soled, shoe without any lacing, straps or a heel. They were worn principally by footmen. The term remains until the 19th century when it dies out, only to be used in the 20th century for a totally different style of shoe.

Also, according to http://www.issicn.com/shoes.htm;

The court styles of the 18th century originate from the French court of Louis XIV; the court shoe, recognized by its low cut and continuous topline with no adjustment, is still popular today.

And according to http://www.english2american.com/dictionary/wholelot.html;

court shoes n. These are lightweight heeled women's dress shoes with enclosed toes, known better to Americans as "pumps".

Finally, if you want to see a picture of a court shoe or the "pump" style, just look at my avatar.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

JeffB:-) I'm like you, I don't wear any heels under 3" as I don't have the feeling that I have any heel under me at all. Then there is no challenge in wearing heels. I do have a couple of pairs of shoes with a 2" heel and I wear them occassionly as FLATS but only around the house as they make my ankles look very thick and unfeminine. I don't use them much at all, but I like wearing heels around the house as well as other places as they make my ankles and calves look very femme and sexy. I also think those shoes shown in the pics are extremely stylish and would look good under pants or a skirt whether male or female. They just scream "Work Place" to me. Cheers--- Dawn HH

JeffB:-) I'm like you, I don't wear any heels under 3" as I don't have the feeling that I have any heel under me at all. Then there is no challenge in wearing heels.

Ahh! I love it when great minds think alike! :D As things progress, I suspect there will soon come a day when four inchers will be my bare minimum. My Ros Hommerson Ingras are four inchers and I'm very comfortable in them.

I also think those shoes shown in the pics are extremely stylish and would look good under pants or a skirt whether male or female. They just scream "Work Place" to me.

I agree. For a man wishing to transition to women's shoes, that would make for a nice style to wear in public.

JeffB:-) It tickles me also to see 2 minds thinking alike and running smoothly on the same track. TOOT! TOOT! You say that the day may come when 4" heels may be your bare minimum. That sounds like your thinking of wearing 4½" or 5" heels to the office. More power to you. I'm quite a bit older than you and at one time I had worked up to a maximum of 5" heels, but with shakey joints, I'm on the heel height decline. It appears that my maximum now will be 4" tops and I'm quite happy with that. At my age, I think I'm doing as well as I can right now. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Well, even though I've yet to wear anything over 4 inches, I think I could handle it. At the same time, I don't want to go too overboard since I do a fair amount of walking during the course of the workday. I believe that four inchers will eventually become my everyday heel height. At 45, I'm not exactly a spring chicken! :D

JeffB:-) You say that you are no spring chicken. Shouldn't that be Rooster? Ur-Aur-Ur-U-r-r-r-r. I'm 69 now and in 2 months I'll make 70. I'm part of the "Over-the-Hill" gang. Eh-Eh!!! I agree with you that your work heels shouldn't be over 4". You could always use the higher heels for use at home or your out-and-about chores. Cheers--- Dawn HH

No, Dawn HH, I believe it is I who am "over the hill." You've managed to find a quaint valley villa and are probably settling in with your heels on the bar, a wench in hand, and a beer at your elbow... Or is that that a beer in hand? I'm so confused - I must be getting senile!

JeffB:-) I'm 69 now and in 2 months I'll make 70. I'm part of the "Over-the-Hill" gang. Eh-Eh!!!

Well, good for you that you're still going strong at the big 7-0! I hope to be that active when I get to that age! :D

Genebujold:-) You think that you are part of the Over-the-hill gang? How old are you? You can't be near my age. You would be right about us living in a valley villa as we live between 3 hills. You are also right about the wrench in hand as well as a lot of other tools. I have always been mechanically minded. There is nothing I like better than to take something that doesn't work and make it work again. But you are wrong about resting my heels on the bar and about drinking beer. I don't attend bars and I don't drink. Make that a rootbeer, sir. Confused eh, maybe, and then again maybe you aren't. cheers--- Dawn HH