Suggested definition of a high heel shoe.

Great to be talking about shoes falling sideways. One tiny little thing though, why are we talking about such an enjoyable thing on the "Rant" forum? I find myself positively enthusing about such a terrific subject! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Bloody shoe throwing test thingy! Happily asleep when woken by loud banging, thought the sky was falling! Ran upstairs to see Chris throwing para boot around bedroom! Fool! Damn hard to type with these paws too! Kane (Chris' dog) - mutter mutter grumble leave your keyboard for five minutes and find the wretched dogs posting on your behalf. That would explain the google searches for "hot great dane bitch" in the history too. Chris

My narrow heels can't stand if I don't lean them towards eachother, sometimes not even then. High Heels?? :D My husband thinks it's very amusing to look at my vain attempt to keep them standing up, especially when we are guests somewhere and I have to take them off. He claims he's charmed?! I've read the definition for Stilettos or Stiletto Heels. They are at least 8cm (3.1") high and gets narrower at the tip. It's picked from some Italian Shoe Designer working many centuries ago. The expression "stilett" comes from an old (I think) Italian well-known weapon. Right me if I'm wrong. I'm more interested in wearing them :D:lol::D

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

The term stiletto is the diminutive of the Italian "stilo" which means dagger. A stiletto is technically a short stabbing dagger, with a blade which is triangular or square in cross-section, although it is often applied to any knife with a slender blade. It is also a tool used to pierce leather or heavy fabric. Presumably stiletto heels are so-named because of the similarity in shape. Vanity is right that the definition of a stiletto heel stipulates that it is "high", and this seems to be generally accepted to mean three inches or more. Personally I prefer the term "stiletto heel" to "spike heel", it sounds sexier! Chris

Being that a lot of people prefer to be a bit "politcally correct" these days by more properly naming and titling objects, I haven't heard or seen the term "spike Heel" in quite some time except in Stilletofan's and Chris's posts. I too, think it "sexier" to use the term "Stilleto heel". :D Works for me! Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

You're right, Dawn HH. The term "spike heel" is very seldom used in this forum. We're all experts on this subject, I think :D But on many other websites it is used quite extensively. Just as Chris said above, "stiletto" just sounds a lot sexier. I don't think it has something to do with the so called "political correctness".

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Stilettofan:-) This forum is the only high heel forum that I read as I feel it is the best one on the net. Even though I have been wearing heels for many, many, years---I myself, don't consider myself an expert on the subject of high heels as I'm still gaining tons of information from all of you guys and gals from around the world. I do know one thing---I just love wearing my heels daily. BTW, Stilettofan---High Heels - A true feelgood-factor for everyone---really sums the whole thing up very nicely. A GREAT "signature". Sure does work for me! Dawn HH

Hi Dawn HH, thanks a lot for your compliment about my signature. I agree with your view on this forum, no doubt about it. I consider all of us folks around here as some kind of experts (with a :D ) in high heels. Whether we wear them, just admire them, own them or whatever. We look at shoes in a different and more intensive way than most people do, therefore we are more sensitive when it comes to a "heely theme". That doesn't mean we know all about it. In fact, getting loads of information and sharing other point of views here in this forum broadens our knowledge. So we are all kind of experts, don't you think? :D

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

stilettofan:-) My signature is kind of plain compared to yours, but says how I feel as I am quite into boots, although I also have heeled courts as well. I actually do wear my heels daily after work and I am beginning to "Street-heel" as well. And your right---I'm always looking at heels on people we pass everywhere. So I guess I definitely have a "heely theme". I sure do enjoy sharing information with the girls as well as the guys on this forum. I value the girls opinions deeply. So, I guess we are a kind of expert after all. I don't complicate anything. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 1 month later...

To Hell with political correctness!!! "Stiletto" is sexy because it's Italian, and there's no better reason! As for what constitutes a "high heel," I would have to say that varies considerably with the size of the shoe, not to mention the individual wearing it. Therefore, I would like to propose the following: A "high heel" is 2/3 or higher of the maximum heel height that can be comfortably worn by the wearer while walking 1,000 yards (meters). For me, 4-1/4" is about all I can manage for this distance, so that would make anything 3" and over a "high heel." And that about fits with respect to the way it feels, too. A 2-1/2 inch heel feels mid-like. Extending the 2/3 rule to the 1/3 rule realm, that would indicate anything less than 1.5 inches would feel like a flat, and that's pretty much been my experience: For me: 0 to 1.5 inches - flat 1.5 to 2.5 inches - mid-heel 2.5 inches to 4.25 inches - high heel 4.25 inches and beyond - painful Again, this applies to me and my heel wear. Some of you no doubt can walk a mile in 6 inch heels. My hat's off to you.

Gene: My heel height menu parallels yours, Gene, until we reach heights above 4½". I do not experience any pain when wearing heels higher than that. In fact, my wife claims that I can run a marathon race in 5" heels. And, I can wear 6" heels almost as long. I still have a little difficulty with 7" heels. Can't walk very far before I have to rest. While I really prefer 4" to 4½" heels for every day wear, I don't usually wear heels that high in public where I will be meeting with clients or other places where a man in heels that high would not be appropriate. On those occasions I stick to shoes with chunky (broad) 2½" or 3" heels.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Genebujold:-) Your listing of heel heights parallels mine exactly until you hit 4" which is my limit. Anything taller than that and I would fall off of them and have to crawl around till I could find something to grab onto. I know the limit of my body and pushing it further just does not work. I am quite satisfied with what I can do at the present time. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Dawn, Bubba - I like your comments. And I think you've underscored my point, namely, that what constitutes a "high heel" is relative to the wearer. If the highest someone could wear was 3", then to them, 3" would be a "high heel." What did you think about my 1/3, 2/3 rule of thumb?

Genebujold:-) Your 1/3, 2/3 rule may not apply to all of the guys and gals on this board---but it sure applies to me. Anything 1.5" or lower, I consider a flat. I have 2 pairs of black patent shoes with 1.5" heels and I wear them as flats. They are very cute and feminine looking and are quite comfortable to wear but I only wear them around the house as they really make my ankles look very thick and heavy. Now a high heeled shoe or boot makes my ankles look very slim and sexy, so I wear them out when crossdressing or street-heeling in public. Besides that---I like the looks and feel and fit of a high heel under me. Now some of the guys here may groan when they find out that my heels are much lower than what they are able to wear. I envy them. My limit is between 3" and 4" and to me that is a high heel. All of this seems to fit with what you Gene have posted before. Cheers--- Dawn HH :roll:

Any shoe that positions the heel higher than the ball of the foot is a high heel shoe in my book.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Dawn HH - thanks for the nod on the 1/3-2/3 rule of thumb. The good news about it is that for those who can easily walk in 6 inch heels, the math is easy (<2 inch is a "flat", between 2 and 4 is a "mid" and between 4 and 6 is "high").

The bad news is that most of us can't comfortably walk in a 6 inch heel!

So, here are the conversion factors:

Max Heel Ht | 1/3 Point | 2/3 Point

2 | 5/8 | 1 3/8

2 1/4 | 6/8 | 1 4/8

2 2/4 | 7/8 | 1 5/8

2 3/4 | 7/8 | 1 7/8

3 | 1 | 2

3 1/4 | 1 1/8 | 2 1/8

3 2/4 | 1 1/8 | 2 3/8

3 3/4 | 1 2/8 | 2 4/8

4 | 1 3/8 | 2 5/8

4 1/4 | 1 3/8 | 2 7/8

4 2/4 | 1 4/8 | 3

4 3/4 | 1 5/8 | 3 1/8

5 | 1 5/8 | 3 3/8

5 1/4 | 1 6/8 | 3 4/8

5 2/4 | 1 7/8 | 3 5/8

5 3/4 | 1 7/8 | 3 7/8

6 | 2 | 4

6 1/4 | 2 1/8 | 4 1/8

6 2/4 | 2 1/8 | 4 3/8

6 3/4 | 2 2/8 | 4 4/8

7 | 2 3/8 | 4 5/8

I hope everyone here can wear at least a 2 inch heel... :roll:

Hi, PJ. You wrote: "Any shoe that positions the heel higher than the ball of the foot is a high heel shoe in my book."

Ok, so you're saying this is a "high heel shoe..." :drinking:

Posted Image

.....Hi, PJ. You wrote: "Any shoe that positions the heel higher than the ball of the foot is a high heel shoe in my book."

Ok, so you're saying this is a "high heel shoe..." :drinking:

Posted Image

Yes, it does fit my definition. High heel is exactly what is says .... a high heel, no matter how subtle it may appear.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Yes, it does fit my definition. High heel is exactly what is says .... a high heel, no matter how subtle it may appear.

Then, by your own definition, a "low" heel would be one where the heel is actually lower than the ball of the foot!

While I respect your opinion, you must know that it's contrary to the generally accepted conventions throughout the fasion industry. Just check out any catalog - none of them ever call "flats or even a "kitten heel" a "high heel."

PJ:-) I respect your opinion and your definition of a high heel, but I also must respectfully disagree as I feel it doesn't apply to me as I posted earlier. So lets respectfully agree to disagree. Genebujold:-) I must agree again with what you posted as no household gets anymore catalogs than ours as we do a lot of purchasing through the mail from catalogs. I have yet to see a flat or a kitten heel referred to as a "High Heel". Cheers-- Dawn HH :roll:

Genebujold:-)

I must agree again with what you posted as no household gets anymore catalogs than ours as we do a lot of purchasing through the mail from catalogs. I have yet to see a flat or a kitten heel referred to as a "High Heel". Cheers--

Dawn HH :roll:

Thanks, Dawn HH. Although we always have the freedom to invent our own language, at some point in time, for no other than to be able to communicate with the rest of the masses, we most adopt some acceptable standard. Since that has already been reasonable set with respect to heel hight as agreed upon by the vast majority of wearers, it would behoove us to adopt this standard universally and press on with more pressing matters at hand that whether or not my New Balance running shoes constitute a "high heel."

Thanks.

Out.

you guys are cutting semantics. The logical image that pops up in a person's mind when they hear "high heels" is:

Posted Image

Not:

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I still stand by my definition that a high heel shoe is where the heel of the foot is higher than the ball of the foot. I realize this differs from what the fashion industry dictates. Many foreigners who try to learn english complain how difficult it is because some words mean different things depending upon how they are used in a sentence. I prefer unambiguous literal meanings. So by my definition, a lower heel shoe should be referred to as a lower high heel. Here is another example. I tell people that I drink a lot. Without any further explanation, I think most people would get the impression that I'm an alcoholic. However, I only drink lots of milk, fruit juices, soda and water. I do not drink any alcohol, champagne or wine. So sometimes following accepted practices can lead to misunderstandings. Forgive me for being eccentric.