Suggested definition of a high heel shoe.

HEY PJ!!!!!!!! Get a clue. You can call anything a high heel if you want to. You can even say a pair of 1955 Ford automobiles are high heels if you feel like it. Just don't expect other people to know what you mean without adding a few more descriptive adjatives. It's like saying "it depends on what your definition of "is" is........

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba

I think you might have misunderstood me. Sorry for not making it clear.

I was taking the literal dictionary meaning of the words to justify my definition. So "high heel" means "a heel that is high". How can anyone misunderstand dictionary definitions like that?

With your example, "high heel" means "1955 Ford". Now thats confusion in my book. Seems like you are using the figurative meaning of words where you can have them represent anything. I do not like figurative meanings since the mean different things to different people.

But then I looked up "low" in the dictionary. If you take the adjective definition, it means "having a small upward extension or elevation". And the example it gives is "a low wall".

You have convinced me to change my definition. Here it goes:

high heel shoe = a shoe where the heel is higher than a certain height above the ball of the foot.

low heel shoe = a shoe where the heel is lower than a certain height and above the ball of the foot.

See ... I'm flexible. Are we still friends? :roll:

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Like I said, PJ -- you can ascribe any deffinition you want to, to anything you want to. But, I'll say it again..... you might have to explain what you are talking about when you say a word because it doesn't have the same meaning to anyone else as it does for you.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I still stand by my definition that a high heel shoe is where the heel of the foot is higher than the ball of the foot. I realize this differs from what the fashion industry dictates.

Yeah, PJ, well it differs from just about everything anyone else would think of as a "high-heel shoe."

Forgive you for being eccentric? Sure! I am too.

But I can tell the difference between altitude and elevation when I see it. The first gives you nosebleeds. The second causes you to puff a bit as you're walking uphill.

following your lead, I can also tell the difference between altitude and elevation (now that I've looked it up)

The essential difference between elevation and altitude is that elevation

can carry a connotation of process, whereas altitude refers only to a pattern.

The OED entry for elevation.... groups definitions 1-8

under "I. Process or result of elevating" and 9-12 under "II. The height to

which anything is elevated", whereas that for altitude is "Height above the

ground, or, _strictly_, above the level of the sea; height in the air,

loftiness." So there nothing incorrect about using "elevation" and

"altitude" interchangably, but one might consider if pattern or process is

more relevant to the context.

So the act of wearing the heels raises you to an elevation, whereas the heel itself has altitude, due to it's height.

Miss Pedantic

High Heel: any heeled shoe that has a heel higher than 3.5" Heels: anything lower than that! Piece of cake, yeah I'm eccentric too, but I know that heels are meant to be HIGH and meant to be VERY obvious - like Bubba136's post of those black patent stilettos, not a pair of mens dress shoes with a LITTLE bit of a heel (firefox, where's that "crazy" Emoticon!) later, TXT-1

Genebujold:-) Emma J Nation:-) WOW!!! THAT'S HEAVY, MAN!!! Especially for us "country folk". I prefer to keep my postings a bit on the lighter side so all the folk can enjoy. Eh! Eh! Wink, Wink!!! Cheers--- Dawn HH :sleeping:

High Heeled Boots Forever!

But then I looked up "low" in the dictionary. If you take the adjective definition, it means "having a small upward extension or elevation". And the example it gives is "a low wall".

You (Bubba) have convinced me to change my definition. Here it goes:

high heel shoe = a shoe where the heel is higher than a certain height above the ball of the foot.

low heel shoe = a shoe where the heel is lower than a certain height and above the ball of the foot.

See ... I'm flexible.

Outstanding!