Help Me Understand Please..

There is so much wrong with on-line journalism I hardly know where to begin. And if I did begin, i wouldn't be able to stop. The dumbing-down, gross simplifications, emotional manipulation, lack of research, indifference to accuracy, total lack of nuance....

There is so much wrong with on-line journalism I hardly know where to begin. And if I did begin, i wouldn't be able to stop. The dumbing-down, gross simplifications, emotional manipulation, lack of research, indifference to accuracy, total lack of nuance....

I also like :)

Using sites like Twitter as a "News source" does not help, as more often then not getting your precise intent out there does not fit into 140 characters.

I also like :)

Using sites like Twitter as a "News source" does not help, as more often then not getting your precise intent out there does not fit into 140 characters.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Twitter is not about journalism.

There are several sites existing that do publish real articles by real journalists such as "http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/"

usually I find that if I want to know what's going on in the world then I tend to read between the lines of the financial times or take a peep into news published on oil industry websites. Having a close friend or two who attend Bilderberg meetings is also very handy.

By the way, Aljazeera is the news site that wins most of the  international journalism awards.

Having a close friend or two who attend Bilderberg meetings is also very handy.

By the way, Aljazeera is the news site that wins most of the  international journalism awards.

The ' Bilderbergs '? Do you really associate with them?

There is so much wrong with on-line journalism I hardly know where to begin.

Its not just ' on-line ' journalists. Look at people Like Sean Hannity. Rachael Madcow. Huffington Post.. ( The list is absolutely endless.. ).

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

And, of course, on line it's not just a problem with journalism.  Across the board there's a problem with a lack of quality/editorial control, and that spreads to conventional media.  One can regularly read newspaper articles and even novels that have been spellchecked, as though that's sufficient.

At least online articles often provide references which can be crosschecked. That rarely if ever happens with mainstream media.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

At least online articles often provide references which can be crosschecked. That rarely if ever happens with mainstream media.

What if we reference things with our own lives for a comparison?

A couple of examples :

NY just passed an absolute ban on ' fracking '. Half the planet screams ' green ' and says ' fracking ' does all this damage. They can have their beliefs ( however wrong they are ). I have a spring water well thats within 50 FEET of a field that was fracked in the past. The water has been tested and its quality is higher then that of the bottled water people buy every day. The ' convinced ' and mislead public will cry foul.. and I will continue to drink better water then them.

As in the original posting and follow ons, I mentioned how the shootings were supposedly ' racially ' motivated. Yesterday, a pair of Police Officers ( Asian and Latino, both of which are categorized as ' minorities ' ) were killed ( its being called an assassination by some in the press ). The shooter was Black. I dont think the shooter really cared what color the Officers were.. Yet Al Sharpton is already trying to distance himself from the fires he started.. while all his ' flock ' are still out there protesting and the NAACP is still fanning the flames..

Why does the media even put either of those 2 groups in the spotlight when they KNOW whats going to happen? Are they intentionally promoting more violence in a very conscious manor? *I* believe they are.

The Lemmings are en masse!

Thus why I said ' see ya! ' to the larger part of society/humanity in general. People dont see things for what they really are. They wear filtered glasses and only believe whats fed to them from certain sources and despise anything outside of those sources.

Not so. Anyone could cross check any fact they like in any story they read, if they want to. On line stories do provide links, something impossible with print, obviously, but if you wanted to check a source or fact in any story, written or on line, it is quite do-able. It just takes time. The people quoted are generally named, unless there are journalistic imperatives for not doing so (and this would be the case no matter what the format) and any other fact or figure can be checked.

Indeed.  Providing links doesn't make slovenly thinking and slovenly writing any more acceptable.  I think my point about editorial and quality control holds.  The printed word in whatever format wears authority that it may not have.  Too easy to publish and anyone can find authoritative sounding drivel that reinforces their prejuidices.  Oh, I know you can find that in the conventional media too, but it's generally less easy for it to slip in under the radar.  Ideally, nothing should be published that hasn't been read by someone whose job is to spot the humbug.

Heres what it has boiled down to :

"In the wake of those decisions, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose wife Chirlane is African American, said in a press conference that the couple has had to have painful conversations with their biracial son, Dante, about “how to take special care with any encounter he may have with police officers.”

Police organizations immediately blasted the mayor’s comments as anti-cop. On Saturday, Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said, “The blood on the hands starts on the steps of City Hall, in the office of the mayor.” That same night, as the Mayor arrived at the Brooklyn hospital where the two dead officers were taken, a line of patrolmen turned their backs on him, forming a line of blue in what observers called a dramatic show of disrespect."

http://news.yahoo.com/wake-police-killings-york-officers-edge-225958080.html

This is an ultra-progressive Mayor whom tells his son things as if his son is already a victim of something. Heres a father putting racial issues into his sons head and causing division or a disdain for others even before any act has been committed towards his son to justify such a thing.

From the same article :

"On Sunday, police officers said that more and more of them were signing a new petition asking de Blasio not to attend their funerals if they should die in the line of duty.".

Can people not recognize how big a scumbag this mayor is? How hes NOT at all fit to keep a city running and how his actions/sentiments are causing massive divisions within its populace?!?!

Im waiting on the armed/violent riots. Its bound to happen and many people whom want no part of such things and people whom just wish to be left alone will get dragged in or be ill-effected by the events.

Because of the actions of a few individuals ( Mike Brown, his lying friends, a couple of cops bad decisions and race baiters like Al Sharpton and the Mayor of NY ), MANY people believe these ( supposed ) ' protests ' should be tolerated and celebrated ( IE: Forced onto everyone else ).. then they will cry foul when the violence happens.

Its laughable, such a mindset.

EDIT:

Just found another article. Dr. Shoe, I gotta ' break em ' on ya! ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/man-shouting-allahu-akbar-drives-crowd-france-injuring-211915875.html

"Dijon (France) (AFP) - A driver shouting "Allahu Akbar" ("God is greatest") ploughed into pedestrians in eastern France Sunday, injuring 11 of them, just a day after a man yelling the same words was killed in an attack on police officers."

How many rounds did that car hold? Was it an assault car or just a regular semi-automatic one? :D Second Assault Car used in 2 days time.

That car, just like a knife or gun, was just a ' tool '.

We need to ban cars, they assault and kill too many innocent peoples :D

CHEERS!

-ILK

Indeed.  Providing links doesn't make slovenly thinking and slovenly writing any more acceptable.  I think my point about editorial and quality control holds.  The printed word in whatever format wears authority that it may not have.  Too easy to publish and anyone can find authoritative sounding drivel that reinforces their prejuidices.  Oh, I know you can find that in the conventional media too, but it's generally less easy for it to slip in under the radar.  Ideally, nothing should be published that hasn't been read by someone whose job is to spot the humbug.

Exactly. Most of the more reputable, magazines employ fact checkers and researchers for precisely this reason.  They will go over a story word for word and ask the writer to provide sources, references, contact details for anyone quoted in the story, etc. This kind of thoroughness is not always possible with fast breaking news, of course, but even so, a writer for any of the better newspapers better have their notes in order in case there are questions later. 

These same precautions are almost never followed on-line - even on the websites of publications whose printed works are fact-checked to the nth degree. They just 'do their best' and try (hope, sincerely) not to screw up. And as for the 'lesser' publications, especially on line,  anything goes. Just churn it out quick. Professionalism is not a criteria. They do not pay enough to hire anyone who is any good, let alone bother with fact checkers.  And plagiarism is so rife that if one outlet drops a clanger, you will quickly hear the same clanger - worded identically - dropped dozens more times across the web. By-and-by, as a result of so much repetition, it becomes 'fact'. 

We shouldn't need it. I don't know about you, but most of the (non keystroke) errors I find in my copy I can sheet home to the auto correct function on my laptop or iPad. These programs appear to have been written by illiterate morons.