Unisex clothing worn differently

onyourtoes

Men wear ball caps just to cover their heads. Women will pull pony tails through the back, or perch them to go with a style, sometimes. Men: Hat covers head. Women: Hat is an accessory. Often men tuck in shirts, women leave them out? That might be one.

Women wear bras, men might use them as jock straps!!! :smile: Cause if they want to wear high heels in public it's going to need some serious support!!!! B)

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

On 2002-03-10 02:33, Laurieheels wrote:

Often men tuck in shirts, women leave them out? That might be one.

Here in England it is very common to see men wearing their shirts outside the trousers.

Around Nuneaton on a Friday/Saturday night it is very common to see the girls wearing very little - example is a spaghetti strap top with bare shoulders, short skirt and no coat - in February. The men usually run to a shirt. Coats/Jackets are optional for both sexes.

It seems that women uncover their arms much more than men.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Women wear tank tops a lot. Men have muscle sleeve tops but don't wear them much. Women's shirts can be exactly the same as men's apart from they have the buttons on the other side. It comes from the time when the lady of the house never dressed herself, so to have a garment that was easy to put on one's self (for a right handed woman) was a considered lower class thing.

All men that I seem to see have shirts tucked in. Macho cowboy thing? Most are not cowboys. Women tend to wear shirts out more often. As for nobility and having servants button clothing, it is proof that wealth is a physical handicap. How easy is it to button a shirt? Quite easy, but for some reason, these rich people needed someone to do everything. Certainly a handicap, sprained wrist from lifting the coin purse, I'll guess.

Have a look on the pictures of that guy, looks very coordinated and acceptable, even stylish, and he seems to like pumps as well.

http://www.geocities.com/clairemil690/

It all could be unisex if people didn't have such prejudices.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-03-11 03:07 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Don't really have much to add to this thread, just thought I'd post how many of the posted trends I tend to follow... Besides the ones FireFox mentioned I tend towards what is mentioned as the female norm in every instance mentioned thus far despite my being male. Perhaps this shouldnt be surprising though as my general attire and fashion sense has always tended to be slightly on the effeminate side.

You know...This thread might show how restricted men's fashion really is. Women can take pretty much any thing that men wear and make it acceptable.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I like some of the styles men can wear. It is just that they do not wear them. Masculine styles, too! They are different, expressive, like the shirts that have no collar but still button up. I have seen some that look great! They are very different and certainly not limiting in choice. However, they are not seen much by me. I think it just takes some experimentation to find something that works for a man, looks manly and is still expressive. We shall see, I suppose...

Lessee, out here in the retrograde west, both men and women wear cowboy boots and hiking boots in pretty much the same way. Sadly, the very bland "roper" boot, with wide round toe and low heel, is the most popular style among men and women both. Indian women and Hispanic women really seem to be roper boot fans. Here's a strange twist: cowboy boots with high heels are still around, but mostly worn by men. The style that rules has a high underslung heel (2-3 inches), with a very tall (16 inch or taller) top. I've never seen a woman wear this sort of boot lately, and I've fallen off my share of horses in the past few years. Speaking of hats: out here, the "ball cap" is a ubiquitous male accessory, worn forwards, backwards, tilted, to the side, etc. I still am not privy to what all this means. Older types still wear cowboy hats, which tends to be a male accessory. Young women are taking to the "ball cap" habit in droves, and wear it pretty much like the dudes do. Both young men and women are really into the "athletic gear" baggy look, whereby one wears huge oversize heavily logoed jackets, shirts, and pants. They do so in such similar ways that from a distance, it's not possible to make a gender determination. Odd, that androgynous clothing of the 21st century is shapeless, it's value being generated not by good fit or shape, but by cool and desireable logos.

For me, I generally have two looks - suit and 'not suit'. Suit kind of speaks for itself. 'Not Suit' is jeans and a shirt, but I tend to buy big shirts and I never tuck them in! Now, to find some shoes to go with each outfit :smile: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Quote Inga "...put a few darts in it etc and result looks good..." Yes, but the darts are often just to suit a female body shape, although I agree some of the baggy clothes in fashion for both sexes would definitely benefit a more tailored look :smile:

• 1 month later...

I've seen one MAN besides myself, in my lifetime, wearing side-zipper pants--they were on the RIGHT side (Women's are on the LEFT side) and he was my High School gym teacher who fancied himself rather a gymnastics expert; my assumption at the time was that male gymnasts wore them as a sort of training uniform. I learned how to sew from a college course nearly 3 decades ago...a few of the things that men don't generally wear (unless they shop at International Male) but could, and still be considered masculine: Raglan-sleeve shirts; "pirate-sleeved" shirts (eg Poet's Blouses); crushed velvet, velveteen, satin, or any other shiny or textured fabric pants, except corduroy; colorful denim anything; exposed-button fly jeans; darted shirts; bodysuits; non-fly front fastening pants; hoop earings; ad nauseum.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

and one very logical sewing perk that I put on all of my shirts that I make is horizontal buttonholes--that way they stay buttoned even if one is a bit overweight (the major force on a buttonhole is, after all, from left to right, NOT up and down).

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

I originally got the idea to make buttonholes horizontally from noticing that many women's blouses had them, and I thought they looked, well, cool, Inga. I honestly never thought about the why that you refer to until just now!!! Believe it or not. Thanx for the insight! _________________ Hi-Heels and Back-Zipper Pants Forever... <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-05-16 12:50 ]</font>

• 2 weeks later...

I guess these jeans I just recieved from http://www.talletc.com don't qualify as "unisex" but I'm wearing them anyhow

Posted Image</img>

Just couldn't resist when I saw them, size 19 with 36inch inseam (and in cotton/lycra denim too).Posted Image</img>

Hi-Heels and Back-Zipper Pants Forever...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-05-25 06:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-06-19 10:47 ]</font>

Firefox wrote : "Women's shirts can be exactly the same as men's apart from they have the buttons on the other side. It comes from the time when the lady of the house never dressed herself, so to have a garment that was easy to put on one's self (for a right handed woman) was a considered lower class thing". Hence my preference for woman's shirt / blouse: i'm left-handed Cheers Vanessa trying to get rid of her comfy loafer <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanessa on 2002-05-25 08:24 ]</font>

Azraelle wrote :

I guess these jeans I just recieved from http://www.talletc.com don't qualify as "unisex" but I'm wearing them anyhow

This pair does really look good.

What kind of top / shirt would you wear with them ?

By the way, jeans are "unisex" by excellence.

I always buy mine in the ladies part of the store. The fabric (due to the use of Lycra) is much more comfy. I also light tube jeans and men's tend to be baggy.

Cheers

Vanessa

On 2002-05-25 08:28, Vanessa wrote:

...What kind of top / shirt would you wear with them ?...

Cheers

Vanessa

So far, a rayon black, blue, and tan Hawaiian type shirt with repeating "foliage" pattern; and a lycra/poly "moleskin" ladies' shirt in navy blue. Nothing daring or earth-shattering--no guys around here, and very few girls wear lace-up jeans; likewise, no males wear "whisker-wash" jeans of any style, hence my doubt that they could be called, truly, "unisex"! But they were so irresistably foxy...

On 2002-05-25 06:44, azraelle wrote:

The sort of thing I'd wear!

Hi-Heels and Back-Zipper Pants Forever...

(Not to mention leotards and thong underwear!)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

While in "Blockbuster Video" yesterday, one of the sales girls, probably about 21, said "I like your pants". It made my day! All I could do was croak "thanks" (I have a mild case of laryngitis at the moment).