Unisex clothing worn differently

onyourtoes

On 2002-03-14 16:53, Firefox wrote:

Quote Inga "...put a few darts in it etc and result looks good..."

Yes, but the darts are often just to suit a female body shape ...

There was a time several decades ago that a man could buy fitted (tailored) shirts off the rack. I had some when I was younger (and thinner), but a few years ago when I had lost substantial weight all I could find were baggy shirts, even the dress shirts were baggy. With the general increase in girth of people these days, baggy clothes have become fashionable. So I like women's shirts that have the princess seams because they give some shape to the shirt.

--chris

I agree with you on the princess seams on shirts, and their equivalent on pants ( remember "saddleback jeans" or for that matter "Chemin de Fer" junior misses jeans, circa 1977?). Since the saddlebacks are not currently in fashion, I've taken to designing a pair myself from several women's riding breech patterns available over the internet. Now if I ever get them sewn up I'll have to post a pic of them.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

On 2002-06-05 23:40, azraelle wrote:

... remember "saddleback jeans" or for that matter "Chemin de Fer" junior misses jeans,

I had a couple of pairs of saddlebacks and liked them very much. I don't recall the "Chemin de Fer" jeans.

Now if I ever get them sewn up I'll have to post a pic of them.

I really hate sewing denim, though, although I haven't tried it with our newer machine.

--chris

Use schmetz denim needles, Gutterman all-polyester thread, and a "Hump Jumper", a thick plastic gadget that is the aprox thickness of 3-4 layers of denim--you stick it behind the fabric half way under the foot so the foot is level when you lower the needle and start sewing. <center><pre> ____ ____ | | | | | | | | | | | | | / | |____________| </pre></center> _________________ Hi-Heeled Boots, Bodysuits, and Back-Zipper Pants R wikkid-kool (on me, or U)! <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-06-06 00:08 ]</font>

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't know that but i shouldda guest by looking at some of his shits. The late sixties psychedelic fashion could be pretty outrageous. I remember wearing fairly feminine flowing eastern cotton blouse, beads and bangles, very long hair, earrings, mascara ... even platform sandals. The audience at rock concert was quite tolerant at the time. Vanessa

• 4 weeks later...

The late sixties psychedelic fashion could be pretty outrageous.

On the subject of the sixties, I just came across this picture of Albert Ayler wearing what appears to be a dress of some kind.

Not the sort of thing I would wear myself, but I do think it looks rather good.

Posted Image

Stephen

On the subject of the sixties, I just came across this picture of Albert Ayler wearing what appears to be a dress of some kind.

Not the sort of thing I would wear myself, but I do think it looks rather good.

Posted Image

Stephen

That is a Djeliba a kind of gown worn by arabs and north Africans. I went to a Nigerian Christening once where all the guys were wearing them and kind of tall hats.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The kind of tall hats are called a FEZ and were eternalized by Mr Cooper, an excellent visual comic that died on stage some years ago.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Stephen, thanks a million times for the picture of the late great Albert AYLER. I can hear him just by looking at the picture. He was unique, pigeon-holed as a "free" musician but his music was just too different. Are you a fan or did you come accross the picture by accident ? Vanessa

Hello Vanessa

Yes, I'm certainly a great admirer of Albert Ayler's music. As you said, utterly unique. Glad to hear there's another fan here, and that you enjoyed the picture.

In case you were wondering, the picture is from the latest (January) edition of The Wire magazine www.thewire.co.uk. There's an interview with Ayler from 1970, and also an absolutely amazing interview with his former bassist Henry Grimes, who disappeared over 30 years ago, and most people thoght was also deceased.

Stephen

"Music is the Healing Force of the Universe" - Albert Ayler

As Dr Shoe also thought, -It is a sad fact that Tommy Cooper passed away!!! He really was something. (Still I can't help but seeing the teardrop in the corner of the eye... :-( (I DO believe that he was one of the "merry" artists that in real life felt very sad inside when the camera was off)). -So if you have missed his performances, *please* try to watch at least one of the many he made onto video. -You will probably not regret it (except for having missed all the other...). TallSwede