Priceless Shoes

Puffer

This UK company (and its associate, Big Shoe Boutique) is often mentioned as a UK source of larger-sized footwear (up to UK11) at reasonable prices. It is part of the Barratt group which has been in administration for some time but continues to trade, and new products are appearing.

However, there are now almost no shoes of any type in sizes above UK8 or 9. I have asked the company if it intends to supply the larger sizes again and got this immediate but unhelpful 'stock' reply, with a distinct whiff of BS about it:

'I have spoken with our Quality Control Team and our Merchandisers regarding your query and have been advised that the type of stock that we purchase from our suppliers is based on current trends and historic sale success.

Whilst we endeavour to cater for all demands through our websites such as Petit Feet and Big Shoe Boutique, there are unfortunately some dimensions that we simply do not have sufficient demand for to purchase in bulk from a supplier.

Please accept our apologies that we could not help further on this occasion. However, please feel free to look at our websites to check for updates.'

I don't hold out much hope of seeing the larger sizes again (so Big shoe Boutique will, presumably, be closed down!) but maybe we shall be lucky sometime in the future. The excuse about 'current trends and historic sale success' would hold more water if it was not the case that (i) the trend is for more women to have larger feet; (ii) the largest sizes seem to sell out quite quickly - although that might be because few were ever supplied.

It seems that there is now no reasonably-priced UK source of anything worth buying if one wants a UK11. Evans no longer stocks any and its UK10 footwear, although sometimes generously-sized, is generally neither exciting nor cheap. If only New Look would go above UK9 ...

A few thoughts crossed my mind on your posting. Theres another thread right now discussing Bakers Shoes and how they are going bankrupt ( I believe thats what those of you across the pond call ' administration ). Its not an uncommon thing happening right now. This isnt just in Shoes, but all facets of the market place. I have found that shopping in what some would call ' The Ghetto ' has yielded bigger sized shoes/boots as the ladies there do have larger feet. A Size 10 or 11 U.S. isnt hard to find at all. Im fortunate enough to wear a 9.5-10 USW and can find things in quality boutiques/stores in most places I go. I believe the most common sizes that the average woman wears would be from a US 7.5 to US 9. 10's used to be very rare. Anything made outside of that range would be what they call a ' loser ' or less likely to be sold. You and I would tell them they are wrong as would many of the others whom frequent here but after making those sizes for so long and not having them sell, they have had to lose profits in those areas. I think if anyone is a US size 11 or larger.. I believe finding larger sizes is hard now, but will become even harder in the future as markets tighten up on their products. Their letter they posted makes sense. Its not what *I* would like to hear, but I understand whats happening. Markets are contracting, contrary to all the news reports of things getting better.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I have found that shopping in what some would call ' The Ghetto ' has yielded bigger sized shoes/boots as the ladies there do have larger feet. A Size 10 or 11 U.S. isnt hard to find at all. Im fortunate enough to wear a 9.5-10 USW and can find things in quality boutiques/stores in most places I go.

I believe the most common sizes that the average woman wears would be from a US 7.5 to US 9. 10's used to be very rare.

Anything made outside of that range would be what they call a ' loser ' or less likely to be sold. You and I would tell them they are wrong as would many of the others whom frequent here but after making those sizes for so long and not having them sell, they have had to lose profits in those areas.

I think if anyone is a US size 11 or larger.. I believe finding larger sizes is hard now, but will become even harder in the future as markets tighten up on their products.

Gotta agree with you an this - Finding shoes in a 9 to 10 is still pretty reasonable, but as soon as you go to an 11, it seems the selection dwindles fast. Lucky bor both of us, we can still get a good selection in that 9 to 10 range. Never thought having smaller feet would be an advantage.

I am seeing a trend though. Some shops like Aldo seem to have a smaller supply in size 10, and Journey's seem to have cut back also. I was in a charlotte Russe for the first time recently, and they seem to have plenty in the larger sizes although the location may have dictated that too.

On the other hand, try and find work boots in a mens size 7 - - - !!!

I'm now shopping the womens aisle for work boots these days.

There has to be ways to influence the market into supplying the particular footwear that people (men and women) actually want, instead of having to choose from the random flooding of miscellaneous footwear on to the shelves, racks, counters, and bins. When I go on-line or to the store, I may find some heels that I really like, but they have sold out in my size and the prospect for getting them restocked is about as likely as winning a lottery that you didn't enter. You would think somebody would get the idea that since these shoes are selling means we would have a sure income, if we continue to supply the product until the demand is no longer be there. When that happens we can withdraw the line for a time. The demand for good quality and particular styles never really leaves. As an example, look at YSL and the Tribute Too. They are so very expensive, but they continue to sell. As most designer brands sell out relatively fast, they are gone and a buyer has little to no hope of ever getting their desired pair of heels. The knockoffs hardly ever seem to meet the quality of the originals and/or usually these substitutes don't even look as good.

You hit the nail on the head Puffer, i was thinking the very same for a while that the choice of UK10/11 on Big Shoe Boutique was virtually non existant. In the good old days i bought up pretty much everything (within reason) ghat BSB was selling. Most of their shoes were true to size...then in the last year or so they were coming up with some contemporary styles in large sizes thats where it started going wrong in my opinion lots of these styles were a least a size smaller , 2 was not uncommon and sometimes even more. I took this up with them along with some other customers who noticed the same, their pathetic excuse was they were now continental sizing so a 10 was a 43 and an 11 was a 44 according to their thinking. So in one foul swoop they alienated a whole sector of their business because they didnt fit. From that moment on things had gone downhill (along with the administration). I have to agree with Puffer, they seem not to give a fig about the customers they were targeting, so its no wonder they are in the perilous state they are in. A real shame and a missed opportunity, its complete bollox that there is not sufficient demand for larger shoes, if that was the case Long Tall Sally, Magnus and Evans would have reduced their shoe lines years ago. Girls are getting taller and their feet are getting bigger FACT, they must know men buy their shoes a lot of reviews make no bones that they are male customers. I really hope that some retailer opens their eyes and sees there is demand for their product. They could start by doing a national survey (or the Shoe retailers association) on shoe sizes, i believe one hasn't been done since the 60's as far as i am aware, their attitudes are still in the 20th century, time they woke up ans smell the coffee. It would seem for the moment i will have to purchase my shoes from the states or wait for Long Tall Sally shoes to be sold on Ebay or in a sale as i cant justify the high price they sell them for retail. So Barratts are the cause of their own downfall., and yes Big Shoe boutique will probably fold , size 8's and 9's no longer qualify as BIG feet so the name is a bit of a misnomer now.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!