Cheap Shoe Design

Alix

My question is, what is it about cheap shoes and low arches? With a few Pleaser exceptions, it seems like if you want a high heel without a goofy platform, you have to spend a lot of money. Why can't lower-end designers make actual high heels without dumbing them down with giant platforms?

My question is, what is it about cheap shoes and low arches? With a few Pleaser exceptions, it seems like if you want a high heel without a goofy platform, you have to spend a lot of money. Why can't lower-end designers make actual high heels without dumbing them down with giant platforms?

Oh that's easy - - - Platforms allow people who can't handle a 5" heel to actually get a 5" heel or higher, and not have the problems of walking in a true 5" heel.

Alix : Ontop of what Heelster stated, its also about ' trends '. While many people absolutely LOVE their platforms, I personally dont care for them. I have 2 pairs that were bought for me as I wouldnt buy them for myself. Finding a ' Classic Stiletto Variation ' these days is becoming a task.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Especially the mass produced 2"- 2.5" plats it' no longer nice to see the odd one but when it's half a fashion stores range it's a bit much. Al

Oh that's easy - - - Platforms allow people who can't handle a 5" heel to actually get a 5" heel or higher, and not have the problems of walking in a true 5" heel.

Obviously that's true, I'm just wondering why actual high heels must be so expensive. It's like steep arches are patented technology only Louboutin and Gucci can get their hands on. Annoying

I disagree. In the shops in the UK there's some of the highest heels I've seen anywhere (apart from fetish shops). For example River Island, Topshop and Zara have some incredibly high shoes. Online there's shops like Kandee where you can get shoes with only a nearly 5 inch rise. Most 'high' heels have a rise of 4.5 inches in 'normal' female sizes. Any higher than that and they don't sell as they are just slightly too high for walking etc. That half an inch difference between 4 .5 and 5 inches is a killer for most people.

post-2110-0-35142500-1344508597_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-30814100-1344508607_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-23060800-1344508612_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-74862500-1344508617_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-07535300-1344508624_thumb.jp

Edited by benno

It is fashion and it's also a cost issue too. When you're turning out shoes for £2.50 per pair, you do not want to invest in new lasts every time there's a new design so you compromise. You use the old lasts and adapt the design to suit. If you have some 4" heel lasts, you can use them to make heels with 6" heels and a 1.5" platform because you can make the platform thinner at the front than the back (the foot is pitched forward). You could even go up to a 7" heel and a 2" plaform using the same idea. However, when you are producing shoes for your own shop where they retail at £600 then you don't mind paying out for new lasts.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Quick question Dr Shoe, Are there any traditional style shoes with stitched/glued together soles and uppers that are made without using a last? I don't mean molded or cast techniques as on Melissa's plastic heels.. Cheers, Ben

Edited by benno

No. AFAIK you cannot practically produce shoes without lasts unless you use a foot as a last. During the Medievel period, shoes were made inside out and turned the right way in during the last part of the process. Even then they were made on a last. Ballet shoes are still made this way.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Actually that must refer to the certain types of shoe that must needs be made with a last. However my leather flipflops were made from a design and without a last but were adjusted in place before final gluing. In the Netherlands there are shoes also made from a pattern. Then the opposite of that would be Alan Murray which cannot even be thought of without a last which they make. Then do not lease them.