Comfort Or Style

Mike Hinch

There has been an idea that I have been processing that being the idea of choosing a pair of shoes or boots for practical comfort or painful pointy toe for looks. There are a few trade-offs that happen all the time. Somehow those cursed pointy toes keep getting on to our streets while a square toe looks just as good and does not kill the toes. There must be a reason and my best guess is that the decision is made to scrap comfort for style. Another feature is the slant of the inside of the heel. When I take a two inch tall block and put my heel on it I can easily reach my toes to the floor. So from this I figure that a heel only two inches higher than the sole need not be slanted down. Actually I have made shims to correct this design error and they feel great. Even though I have been so comfort and safety minded I have still on occasion sacrificed comfort for style. So why do people buy those unhealthy shoes. Maybe there is something going on here that I am not aware of. Also hope that this does not duplicate any existing subjects as this new system the search does not work as good.

Well for me the obvious choice is comfort. I am not interested in having deformed feet in my old age. While it often seems the most stylish shoes do end up being the most uncomfortable, its not always the case, you can get lucky with a bit of patience and find a really pretty/stylish shoe that is also comfortable as well :wave: Also since you mentioned it, I personally don't even find very pointy shoes all that appealing, a slight rounded point on a shoe is nice, sure, but otherwise, meh I can do without.

There is a lot of truth in that. My experience also that with some perseverance I can find something in the style that I desire with a good fit. However the rounded toe most of the time will just kill that corner of my big toe and get painful after an hour or so. And another thought might be if comfort is so important then why go for HH to begin with and for me actually that is comfort. While so many of us here started with mommy's old shoes or big sister and kept it out of the main stream. What got me going was a pair of Famalorie from a thrift store. While they were a high heel they were not too girlie to wear out and about. And the comfort was there. Another good thing last month I got another pair slimier to the Famalorie but with a bit higher heel. Also that thing about age is probably some part of the equation so if one decides to ruin their feet it is best to do it while still young.

I personally want both, style sometimes wins out.

Of course we all know better than to do that but sadly enough for me style is the ultimate winner, There not many painful shoes in my collection but a few. Some I wear on special occasions and some I plan to stretch or modify. That classic five inch stiletto pump that I needed to complete my collection I finally found with a square toe so style and comfort both win.

As for

Its 90% Comfort, 10% style for me. If it looks ' great ' or ' awesome ' and its not comfortable.. I'm not wearing it. That I can agree with most of the time with my way of dealing with the situation if it is really awesome I will keep looking for that look in something that fits or modify or even start to make my own. Anyway if it is not comfortable I am not wearing it very long.

The worst shoes I ever wore were two pairs of mens smart office shoes: the first cut up the back of my feet, the second cut me on the top of my foot near my big toe where the shoe is supposed to flex. I've never had a pair of heels draw blood like that, but some heels do sometimes give me blisters (probably because I've walked far further than I ought to in them). Since I started wearing heels in public I'm certainly less inclined to squeeze my feet into bad-fitting shoes just because I like the style, but if I can find a reasonably good fit I'll tolerate a little discomfort for a style I really like. I do find myself changing into flats to walk long distances if it means I can enjoy my heels more when I change back into them.

If you like it, wear it.

That is probably my formula I'll tolerate a little discomfort for a style I really like but I do not exactly change to flats to walk a great distance as I have some mid height heels for that but flats and even Earth shoes to keep the muscles and joints in condition.

I personally want both, style sometimes wins out.

Heh! That makes two of us!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

First, I'm attracted to the style of the shoe. Then comes the fit which ultimately equates to comfort. If a shoe is stylish (and I want it bad enough) and perhaps a little uncomfortable, I'll likely buy it. Sometimes minor discomfort can be fixed with extra padding or working through the "break in" period. But, if it's unbearably uncomfortable or ill-fitting, no amount of padding or breaking in will ever be enough! Those stay in the store!

It's about Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of New Shoes!

I go for comfort all the time. I have a pair of black ankle style boots with a 3 inch heel and they are the most comfortable things I have ever worn in my life, I'am in them most days.

life is not a rehearsal

First, I'm attracted to the style of the shoe. Then comes the fit which ultimately equates to comfort. If a shoe is stylish (and I want it bad enough) and perhaps a little uncomfortable, I'll likely buy it. Sometimes minor discomfort can be fixed with extra padding or working through the "break in" period. But, if it's unbearably uncomfortable or ill-fitting, no amount of padding or breaking in will ever be enough! Those stay in the store!

It's sometimes hard to know which ones should "stay in the store" from just a couple of minutes trying them on, but I feel I'm getting better at that so perhaps it comes with experience. I have some older heels I bought when style overwhelmed comfort for me, but I can't bring myself to wear those at all these days.

If you like it, wear it.

So many times I have said a lot of truth in that. Just a month ago I fell into the trap It's sometimes hard to know which ones should "stay in the store" from just a couple of minutes trying them on. That is another situation. The way it went down I see these nice stiletto pumps that I need to complete my collection and they only have shoes up to ten so I figure is that a large ten or so. We try them in the store standing and some walking around in the store quite a bit to my estimation but somehow by the time of getting back across the parking lot the toes were killing me. This pair have such style and a really important model to have so the plan is to carve some foot shape device and apply it with the good old hydrolic press. But anyway they fooled me and it took that trip across the parking lot to find out.

There has been an idea that I have been processing that being the idea of choosing a pair of shoes or boots for practical comfort or painful pointy toe for looks. There are a few trade-offs that happen all the time. Somehow those cursed pointy toes keep getting on to our streets while a square toe looks just as good and does not kill the toes. There must be a reason and my best guess is that the decision is made to scrap comfort for style. Another feature is the slant of the inside of the heel. When I take a two inch tall block and put my heel on it I can easily reach my toes to the floor. So from this I figure that a heel only two inches higher than the sole need not be slanted down. Actually I have made shims to correct this design error and they feel great. Even though I have been so comfort and safety minded I have still on occasion sacrificed comfort for style. So why do people buy those unhealthy shoes. Maybe there is something going on here that I am not aware of. Also hope that this does not duplicate any existing subjects as this new system the search does not work as good.

Well pointy shoes does not mean pain anymore than other's. It all depends on getting the right pointy shoe for your feet type. For me a long toe will hurt alot where a short toe will start hurting after 6 to 8 hours.