Heel sizing

docs41

Here is a question about heel sizing. I have found with higher heels that I usually wear about one half size smaller than usual. Anyone else find that is true?

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Sizes do seem to vary a lot from brand to brand, that is perhaps the biggest factor would be my guess. Although, I have heard claims that the higher the heel, the more the weight of the body forces the foot to be compressed downward into a smaller focal point. But, I don't think the foot is all too malleable in a length-wise direction (maybe about 1/4 inch at the most), but width-wise is much more variable. I seem to be able to get my foot into boots that appear to be as much as 1/2 inch more narrow than my foot is. I have always been amazed by that.

There isn't actually a difference technically. If the foot shortened with a higher heel then that would be taken into account. I think the answer is that 90% of people wear flat shoes that are too big. This is a flashback to when they were kids and mothers bought them shoes with growing room.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Lately there seems to have been a lot of inconsistancy among manufacturers over size. I very consistantly wear mens US size 9, rarely 9.5. In the past this always translated to US womens size 11. However about 40% of my well fitting heels are a size 10 womens and about 40% of the size 11's are too big. I still wear the same male size regardless. My sample size of "women's" shoes exceeds 100. I believe some manufactures are starting to increase their size relative to the size number a bit, marketing. Women are more uptight about their foot size and would prefer to wear a "smaller" shoe even if it is in size number only. :)

There isn't actually a difference technically. If the foot shortened with a higher heel then that would be taken into account. I think the answer is that 90% of people wear flat shoes that are too big. This is a flashback to when they were kids and mothers bought them shoes with growing room.

I can remember when I would try on the new shoe and my mom would say "wiggle your big toe so I can see how much room you have in this shoe." This does bring back memories.

But to answer docs41 question, I don't notice a difference in size.