Can shoes make up for looks?

badger

Yesterday in the student union I noticed a girl that was 30-40 pounds overweight, but because she had stylish black knee high boots on, I couldn't take my eyes off of her. There were lots of prettier girls in the area, but I liked the girl in boots. Anybody else like me?

Everyone should wear boots!

It depends. You can't fix a very bad case even with the best boots. However, I have never liked skinny woman, so if it was 30 pounds from the anorectic level that appears to be the norm at places, it may very well have been a pleasant sight. Bert

What's all the fuss about?

I do think one of the reasons shoes are so popular with women is that they are the only item of clothing that can make them very elegant without worrying about their body (whether they ar too fat, too skinny, too short etc.). Nice and good-looking shoes are almost always an elegant statement and they do not make women shy about their body, as tight or revealing fashionable clothes might do. In that sense shoes are an "easy" fashion item.

A good pair of leather boots is the best investment a woman could make. This is especially true if she is plain, but would apply to all women regardless of looks. All other things being equal, I would go with the booted woman every time.

Michael

Shoes are knows in the fashion world as "accessories." They are "supplementary" items that create certain images, adding to the overall look. While a pair of heels on a unattractive woman (or man, for that matter) can project a memorable image, it's actually in the mind of the viewer that determines the person's appeal. Is it the person or the shoes that are the focal point of their attention?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I'd like to chime in with what seems to be the opinion here... -Consider a white haired, wrinkle faced, "old grandma" wearing a pair of high heels with style (assuming she has been spared from the suffering of arthritis et al...). Would you NOT be looking at her with admiration??? I would almost like to compare HH's with sport cars as they both are eye catchers and make the onlooker more to consider their handling rather than the "drivers" looks. TallSwede

My point is that, in my opinion, it would be foolhardy to chose a woman because she wore high heels without consideration to her personality, overall appearance and intellect. Personal appearance is direct reflection upon the individual's self-esteme, confidence and a direct reflection on how they feel about themselves. Any person, man woman or child -- age doesn't matter -- that is well scrubbed and well dressed in good taste is bound to appeal more than a carlessly attired woman even though she wears the most attractive shoes imagined. The "well groomed, wrinkled old woman" would fall into the catagory of a woman that always dressed with self-assurance and confidence, showing that she "still has it" after all these years. And yes, I would look upon her with admiration.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Of course one have to be (quite) a bit more selective when choosing a partner (even though it seems that a lot of people only use the head beneath their navel to have a vote at the crucial moment). I just wanted to point out the "flight of the moment" glimpses one can get when out in the streets. -Another (for myself very vivid (and also "should I have tried to leave the tram in order to tell her this?")) situation was 25-30 years back when I was sitting in a tram (an "ON THE GROUND" ""SUBWAY CAR"") and found a girl in her late(?) tens walking with an overcoat(?) reaching to her knees made of (presumably) synthetic fur like a polar bear rug which was dyed in a lot of colo(u)rs between pink and purple. -She wore this outfit with nothing but proudness... She had a big smile that almost threatened to cut her head in two halves and seemed to have the day of her life. As I said (wrote) earlier, I was transfixed by the view and got the instant urge to tell her how SHE made my day by just passing by and letting me share this moment with her. -Anyhow the "common sense" made me sit still and let her pass along the sidewalk while my tram started along its tracks, but that memory has never grown dim during all these years. -Since then I have at least tried to give compliments whenever I have felt them appropriate (and sometimes more often than that...). TallSwede

I notice booted women much more readily than non-booted ones--and then my eyes drift upward to see what else she's wearing...

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I'd definately have given her more than a single glance, so you're not alone. Strange that an item of clothing can alter our perception of what is attractive and what is not. It can't overcome everything though, as Xaphod pointed out. Still - good for her, she probably knew she'd attract more attention by wearing the boots. Zathrus

Dr Shoe wrote:

I "grade" women and I always "up" the grade at least one point if they're wearing heels!

which generates the question: "I wonder how they would grade you?"