Sent home from school because of heels

Gothikaheels

I was at school today, attending regular classes and when walking by one of my assistant principals she stopped me and asked me what i was wearing (i was wearing really baggy pants with chains on them from hottopic, a shirt that had a software development company on it, and my 5.5 inch school girl shoes burgundy colored, almost metallic red) so i was sent home for a "dress code violation" because of my shoes, is it just me, or is my school uptight? so when i got home i just put on my platform boots from demonia.

here are the heels i got sent home for

http://store6.yimg.com/I/snaz75_1758_6254872

I think it's time to check out exactly what the dress code says about shoes!! Both for guys and gals!! Personally, I don't see anything wrong with those...The key is, does the school have a limitation on a man's choice but not a girl's choice of footwear? If so, it sounds like that nasty 'D' word to me...And I hear ACLU phones ringing!! :cry: I can see the school limiting footwear in the sense of "no stiletto heels higher than x (let's say 3") inches during normal school hours" for safety purposes, but we didn't have that when I was in school...I remember my sophmore year, we had a sophmore girl decide to wear RED leather 5" stiletto thigh high boots to school one day...She looked GREAT in them!! Too bad she was carrying them by 3rd period :lol: That gal carried them the rest of the day and teased the heck out of a LOT of guys that day!! Too bad I never saw her wearing them again... :lol::lol: I look forward to hearing the outcome of this event!! Later!!

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Wear something lower to school and see what happens next. But I would have them explain them selfs whys such foot wear is unacceptable for a man to wear in writing.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I don't see anything wrong with that pair of shoes. Why not wear them again one day next week? You might bring another pair in your book bag in case you have to change. I'd keep wearing them until they got used to seeing you wearing them and no longer commented.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, those are pretty impressive shoes. I must admit that (even) UK law has stated that employers aren't allowed to discriminate like this. That is, if a woman is allowed long hair, heels &c, then a man is too. So I think you have a case here. Although I know that primary schools in the UK do not allow heels at all on girls, so presumably the same restriction applies on boys. However, I don't know what the rules are for older children.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Look like sensible lace-ups to me too :lol: ~ perhaps leather rather than patent would be more restrained!

Time to put your legal civil rights hat on I think; my first thought is to wear exactly the same as many of the girls, who presumably aren't breaking any dress code...

_

[i have put an intro message for myself on the hellos/goodbyes section]

/I

Hello again :-) Re: "I went to the school today wearing the same pants but today i wore my 8inch spike platform boots with flames on them (thigh high) and the school didnt say a thing.... odd isnt it? i guess you just have to catch them on a good day...." I wonder if the knucklehead that sent you home got a talking to about civil rights?? Or if that person decided to read EXACTLY what the school's policy on shoes is?? Or maybe that person decided that it isn't worth fighting you because they KNOW they'll lose!! You've now set a precedence in your school by wearing those boots all day, with lots of witnesses, without them 'enforcing' the dress code. Push until they force the issue and then call your attorney!! Happy Heeling!!

You need to make a real pain in the ass of yourself on this one and find out exactly what the dress code violation was, is it gender biased or not, e.g. would the asst principle have sent a girl home with the shoes on? AND ASK IT IN FRONT OF ADULT WITNESSES!!! I can't make that point strongly enough. A girl in St. George, Utah (an ultra conservative place if there ever was one), where I live at present, was sent home last year for dying her hair purple--and it was her mother who helped her do it! It was felt that it would present an "unusual or unnecessary distraction to the students' learning environment". More likely an undesired sexual distraction to the mostly Mormon teachers, but I won't go there. :x

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Well, im not going to be calling an attourney over this, too much money for something so little, if im out of dress code, although i went through the whole handbook and found nothing about heels, its not worth the money, time, and effort to call an attourney. im going to wear those 5.5 inch heels again and see what happens tomorrow... i'll keep ya posted

Gothika, If the harrassment continues, you may be able to get an attorney through the ACLU very reasonably, if not free. And if they won't provide one, there are plenty of other organizations that would. You may have to go with a gay/lesbian/CD/TV group for the support, but it'd be worth it. Also, I'm not suggesting that you go after monitary compensation, just equal rights. Who knows?? The right attorney may have case law which can back them into a corner and free you up without making a big stink... Regardless, you should not have to feel threatened about your schooling because of the clothing you wear. Choosing one's attire should be up to the person wearing it. And if you've got the gusto to wear 8" spike platforms to school, you've GOT the GUSTO!! Regardless which road you choose, my hat's off to you for wearing what you want and breaking out of the mold!! Happy Heeling!!

IMO, taking this to an attorney at this point isn't necessary. GH has the right idea. Nothing in the dress code about guys in heels -- he can handle it. Now, if the school administration continues to harass him, he can let them know that if they persist he will be "contacting the ACLU." Bet they back down. A couple of years ago, I read an article in a magazine about a male California high school student that wore heels to class one day. The school administration never said a word because their dress code didn't prohibit cross-dressing. After a couple of weeks, he began attended class completely dressed in girls or woman's clothing. He was, according to the story, even allowed to graduate wearing a dress, heels and makeup. If I remember correctly, I think the first time he had a problem was when in Europe when he tried to go through customs dressed as a woman with a passport that identified him as a man.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

A couple of years ago, I read an article in a magazine about a male California high school student that wore heels to class one day. The school administration never said a word because their dress code didn't prohibit cross-dressing. After a couple of weeks, he began attended class completely dressed in girls or woman's clothing. He was, according to the story, even allowed to graduate wearing a dress, heels and makeup. If I remember correctly, I think the first time he had a problem was when in Europe when he tried to go through customs dressed as a woman with a passport that identified him as a man.

That wouldn't be a problem in the UK because a friend of mine is a full time TV/CD and doesn't own a stitch of male clothing. Her passport is in her female name but it identifies her as male. She was telling me that the customs officers have to be sensitive to the needs of minority groups including the "gender dysphoric"!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Schools can be very strange. I got suspended for having my ears pierced when I was about 16 and when I had my nose pierced my parents got summoned to see the headmaster. My father hated the nose piercing but to his credit defended me with the school and got VERY annoyed that they were interfering in what he regarded as his business. This happened about 18 years agon and it is depressing that things haven't changed more in the meantime. Don't let them grind you down ....

School bans on sexy shoes are not new! Read "Lucy's Story" (under "For Everybody"). You'll find her early instalments (late 1950's when stilettos first appeared) contain very entertaining memories of how Lucy and her class-mates tried to get around the increasingly draconian shoe rules that the headmistress tried to impose. Happy reading! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Draconian to be sure :lol: However, there are elements of safety, health and discipline involved, also. Safety from the standpoint that injury could occur from girls not being able to handle heels and the belief wearing such high heels is unhealthy (bad for the feet). Discipline established by treating all students the same and suppressing individuality by requiring that all students wear the same "uniform

• 3 weeks later...