Hockey and High Heels

kzcolt

I just bought another pair of high heel cowboy boots. This is my third pair of cowboy boots and my 4th pair of heels. The previous pair was a black pair of round toe boots with a two inch heel, to push the 1 ½” heel of a tan suede pair of boots that I already had. The new pair of boots was bought on ebay from Michael Jones. I was going to get a 3” heel to take small steps in elevation of the heel height, but he had a sale and was offering a pair of 4” heel, black, round toe boots for much less than the 3 inch heel pair. After hemming and hawing, I decided to jump up to the 4” pair as a financial decision (‘it’s a better deal!!’).

The boots showed up, and I had been wearing them around the house when no one was around, mostly on carpet, and then also in my car to and from work. I would also pull them on for the drive home after my local college hockey teams games. Since no one in my family was aware of these boots, (it being my unproclaimed secret, especially to my wife), I did not get to wear them for as long as the urge compelled me to do. After all, I am a forty something married man who has never told anyone about my interest and enjoyment of high heels, ever since finding pairs of heels in the toy box for my older sister and friends to use back when I was probably 5 or 6 years old. But I digress.

I was wearing the new 4” heeled boots in the car back from a hockey game, and wanted to find an out of the way location where I could walk in 4” heels, rather than just sit in 4” heels, as I had been doing in the car. I parked the car near a bike path where I ride, but the dirt parking lot was all mud. I totally sank (about 4”) into the mud and decided that this evening was not the time or place.

The next day, I grabbed the boots and took them outside to wash the HEAVILY caked mud off at the hose faucet. As I was bringing them in, my wife came up (fresh from her nap, which was what gave me the courage to drag them out to clean) and saw my black heeled boots and asked me what I was doing. “Washing mud off my boots”.

She replied “That’s a pretty big heel”

Did I mention that I hadn’t really ever even remotely told my wife about high heel opinions that I had? Even after reading everbodies recommendations here online to let her know sooner rather than later, it just never seemed the right time to bring it up. Well…now it is brought up.

She asked “Do you like high heels?” Me: Yeah

“Why?” Me: Don’t really know, I just do.

“Do you want to be taller?” Me: Not really. I just like the heels.

Needless to say, she felt a bit hurt and somewhat betrayed that who she thought I was and who I presented myself as, was not quite who I truly was.

A few days later, we had a good conversation over lunch and I shared how I wore heels in the house when no one was home, and also in the car to and from work. I did tell her that I really wanted to wear heels but society did not really look at this as normal. (Not in so many words, but this is my recollection of my side of the conversation). Long story short (well, not really), with it in the open, she did not jump all over me when I started openly wearing my boots in the house before I left for work, or even when I got home, as well as at lunch time, when I came home. Anyway, all this has been a long lead up to a posting called “hockey and high heels” and it has not even touched upon the combination, other than in very passing manner. Sorry for any long windedness. Here is where the hockey comes in.

I had tickets for a college playoff championship hockey game that was located 2 ½ hours across the state that I was going to, and I decided I would drive over and back in my heels, and who knows, during the 2.5 hour drive, I might even be able to psych myself up into wearing them to the hockey game itself, which was located in a big city National Hockey League arena.

This was the longest straight time that I had worn the heels, and stopped at a highway rest area. After allowing a car load of people that drove in after me to disembark, I psyched myself up with HHP comments to walk confidently, and no one would probably even notice. Got out of the car, walked to the facilities, then returned to my car, my feet aching on the top from using balancing and top foot muscles that are not exactly well utilized. Maybe I would not wear them to the hockey game. Got back in the car and drove the final 30 minutes to the arena, all the while telling myself that if I force myself to walk from the arena parking lot and go into the game, I am pretty much ensured to have to work on my walking skills and confidence. Somehow I did convince myself and ended up walking about a quarter mile from my parking spot and into the arena.

Once my ticket was taken, there was no turning back as you could not re-enter. Just inside the door, after the business with the ticket, they had metal detectors for a security screening. OH NO! Am I going to set off an alarm with nails in the boots heel and be forced to remove my boots in the crowd? Luckily, no, it was just a mental panic that was unfounded. Now I walked slowly through the crowd to find my seat, which was at the end of an aisle, and had such a narrow space between the seat in front that I had to either sit with my legs spread apart, exposing my left foot out in the aisle, or to tuck them both in over toward the seat next to me.

Since I had arrived early before the game, I had about an hour to kill. Mentally, I felt that everyone in the section to the one side of me, with the aisle exposure was looking at me and judging me for my footwear. Similar for the people to the right, down my aisle that could see my legs. Eventually, the people who had the seats next to me arrived, and somehow seemed to overlook (or even notice) my worries about footwear, or even my footwear. They had driven down from out of state, since their daughter was dating one of the hockey players. We had a very nice conversation throughout the entire game, and it was never an issue. I got up at the period breaks and did the same stuff I would normally have done, only instead of getting popcorn, pizza and pop, I was getting popcorn in high heels, I was getting pizza in high heels, I was getting a soft drink in high heels. It was a lot of elevated heart rate activities, but was also fun.

Eventually, the hockey game was completed and I drove home (while wearing heels ☺). All my fears about hockey fans noticing me and pummeling me with hockey sticks and pucks proved to be unfounded, and besides the pain I felt in the tops of my feet the next day due to utilizing muscles not previously worked for more than 15-30 minutes, rather than 9+ hours, everything went well. I did have to adjust my walking style on the trip back to the car, as my feet were definitely tired.

Since coming back home with my newly built up balancing skills and muscle groups, I have been wearing my boots around the house, in front of the family, with no big deal as I would have expected. Before going out in public, my wife has asked me several times “Are those the high heels?” or “Are those your heels?”, when I had on my ‘low heeled’ 2” cowboy boots of the same style. I like the sound of both those statements. “My heels.” Other than that, to everyone else at home they have just been a pair of shoes I have been wearing.

Now I just need to present this blog to my wife, and maybe get her to read some of the accounts within. Thanks for reading!

Wow that is awesome I'm a huge mma fan and I would never find the courage to do something like that especially where I know most of the people there. It takes a really big "set" to do something like that. That sounded really daring and exciting. Kudos to you.

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

Welcome kzcolt. Your story takes me back a number of years when I first discovered what you're now discovering. When I started out, I bought boots marketed for women, but I chose pairs that had most of the attributes of the Miguel Jones boots you have now. Flash forward to the future... I have several pairs of Miguel Jones boots and I wear them exclusively now. They're boots marketed for men which is unique with the available heel heights and all. I also like that he uses soft heel pads that don't make that feminine 'click' when I'm walking. I wear my 4" heeled ones at work, at home, and at play. They're quite comfortable and look great. You are correct about having to develop muscles you never developed wearing more traditional men's shoes. That's true with first time wearing of any heeled footwear. I wear long bootcut jeans and pants with mine and have never received a negative comment from anyone. I know who the shoe gals are at work too because they're the ones that always notice what's on my feet and always have something nice to say. They all like the Miguel Jones boots. It's all about confidence and knowing that they are your boots and that you're doing nothing wrong whatsoever wearing them. Up until a nasty shoulder injury a few years ago I was playing hockey in a men's league. I had a pair of 3.5" boots that were marketed for women but very masculine looking nonetheless. I used to wear them on hockey night and thought nothing of it while changing in the locker room into my equipment and skates. Nobody else did either. Enjoy them! Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Congratulations on your outing. Most hockey games I have attended, the fans are so into the game that I'm not surprised that they didn't pay attention to your high heeled boots. I hope it was a good game.

KZColt, Great story! I can identify as I've just received an identical pair from Miguel. As Charlie mentioned, virtually no one notices. After all , they're men's boots, marketed to men. Compared to primarily women's styles, they are heavier in both appearance and sheer scale weight. Heel or no heel, I don't see how anyone could think of them as women's boots. I wear them all the time to break them in, as they are pretty stiff. Wear 'em anywhere, and, often. You'll love it and no one else will care. My wife had the same reaction: "Look at those heels". I just said, "I like 'em and I'm keeping 'em". No further comments. To heck with everybody else! Enjoy! UpBy5 (well, with the boots, UpBy4)

• 1 month later...

Well done, a very nice first, big outing. :smile:

I agree with jwhite, it would be cool to see a picture of the boots you wore if you can swing it, or are those the boots in your avatar?

Great account, but disappointed no picture of your boots!

No those are not the boots in my avatar. (Those ones are a pair of Naturalizers, don't remember the specific style)

Sorry about the slow response to your requests. I dropped my camera and had to wait until I got a new one.

post-15433-133522941537_thumb.jpg

post-15433-133522941554_thumb.jpg

post-15433-133522941569_thumb.jpg

I too have similar styled boots from Born. They have a 3" heel and I have them in black and brown. They are easy to wear and i like the heel height too. They are definetely women's boots and I love to wear them. I have even worn them with skinny jeans tucked inside the boots! bluejay

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kzcolt,

One of the best posts on here in a long time!

It is great to read your experiences. - I have a pair of Miguel Jones boots and hope to start wearing them out and about soon. As they look very masuline, I don't think I have any concerns about what people will think seeing me in them, but I don't want to wear them out until I can walk completely naturally in them and I also want to take my wife's feelings into account (she is unsure about them).

Did you show your wife this blog, and what did she have to say about it? Have you had any more comments from your wife about your boots (or anyone else you might have shown)?

Have you worn them much since? If so, it would be great to read about your experiences.

I look forward to your further posts!

(PS: UpBy5, as another new owner, I would also be interested to hear about your experiences.)

Hi Kzcolt,

One of the best posts on here in a long time!

It is great to read your experiences. - I have a pair of Miguel Jones boots and hope to start wearing them out and about soon. As they look very masuline, I don't think I have any concerns about what people will think seeing me in them, but I don't want to wear them out until I can walk completely naturally in them and I also want to take my wife's feelings into account (she is unsure about them).

Did you show your wife this blog, and what did she have to say about it? Have you had any more comments from your wife about your boots (or anyone else you might have shown)?

Have you worn them much since? If so, it would be great to read about your experiences.

I look forward to your further posts!

(PS: UpBy5, as another new owner, I would also be interested to hear about your experiences.)

It's very easy to pull off wearing Miguel Jones boots all day and evening long. The best advice I can give would be to practice with them at home until it becomes effortless. Anyone, man or woman, who's struggling to walk in their higher heeled footwear in public tends to look a little foolish. Good luck!

Charlie

Getting use to wearing heels by walking around in your house will surprise you when you go public. The short walks here and there inside are nothing compared to the long aisles, the walk from the car, and then the walk back when you discover you are really not ready for this. IF you are serious about public heeling, practise at home absolutely, don't just walk around, do house work.....sweep the floor, carry laundry, move furniture, do things that force you to learn to BALANCE in your heels. The walking will build muscles the working will build balance. Without balance the unexpected person, cart, corner, or dropped unavoidable object will put you down. Have fun out and about in heels, doing it right makes that fun easier. Thrill

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

Getting use to wearing heels by walking around in your house will surprise you when you go public. The short walks here and there inside are nothing compared to the long aisles, the walk from the car, and then the walk back when you discover you are really not ready for this.

IF you are serious about public heeling, practise at home absolutely, don't just walk around, do house work.....sweep the floor, carry laundry, move furniture, do things that force you to learn to BALANCE in your heels.

The walking will build muscles the working will build balance. Without balance the unexpected person, cart, corner, or dropped unavoidable object will put you down.

Have fun out and about in heels, doing it right makes that fun easier.

Thrill

I can't agree more and probably should have elaborated a little better. Thanks!

Charlie

Thanks for the advice Charlie and 5.5 Thrill.

Mine are 5 inches high and I'm only really used to wearing 2.5 inch heels out and about, so it is a big step up for me.

I've been practising around the house, moving some boxes up and down stairs, doing the dish washer and laundry, including putting the washing out on the line, and even clearing out the shed. But due to having two teenage kids (including one that's at that awkward age) it's only been once or twice a week when they are out.

Charlie, how have you been getting on with your 5" Miguel Jones boots?

When I start to make any progress, I'll post on the thread I started, but I don't want to steal KZColt's thunder here.

Thanks for the advice Charlie and 5.5 Thrill.

Mine are 5 inches high and I'm only really used to wearing 2.5 inch heels out and about, so it is a big step up for me.

I've been practising around the house, moving some boxes up and down stairs, doing the dish washer and laundry, including putting the washing out on the line, and even clearing out the shed. But due to having two teenage kids (including one that's at that awkward age) it's only been once or twice a week when they are out.

Charlie, how have you been getting on with your 5" Miguel Jones boots?

When I start to make any progress, I'll post on the thread I started, but I don't want to steal KZColt's thunder here.

Hey Rob,

It's a work in progress. Since I've been wearing my several pairs of 4" heeled ones almost exclusively now I can wear the 5" ones much longer now. I'm talking hours instead of minutes and that's with a lot of walking. The 4" heeled boots feel like gloves to my feet now though.

Charlie