How to ride a bike in High Heels

autumnheels

Hi autumnheels, Thanks for the link, quite good and educational. I had been thinking about converting a pair of my boots and putting a shimano shoe clip which would be rather different. For mountain biking that would be a little interesting as I am sure the heel would not last nor would I if having to push the bike up hill. For regular biking this is a good clip. Thanks for sharing! Mtnsofheels

You Tube has a lot of high heel videos in many situations. Riding a bicycle in heels may take extra care when the rider first begins, but the novelty is soon short lived for the experienced bicyclist. It is really no different than wearing other footwear, once the unfamiliarity is no longer one of the factors. Actually, walking in heels is more of a challenge, but both are welcome sights for a person's appearance. Most of the You Tube videos are really good when they are about women wearing heels. However, when men are the wearers, the majority of them are seen more as jokes, dares, or just plain awkward presentations of men in heels. The videos with titles for male heeling are usually so low in quality or they show only the heels, that the videos aren't worth watching for the titled representation.

You Tube has a lot of high heel videos in many situations. Riding a bicycle in heels may take extra care when the rider first begins, but the novelty is soon short lived for the experienced bicyclist. It is really no different than wearing other footwear, once the unfamiliarity is no longer one of the factors. Actually, walking in heels is more of a challenge, but both are welcome sights for a person's appearance.

Most of the You Tube videos are really good when they are about women wearing heels. However, when men are the wearers, the majority of them are seen more as jokes, dares, or just plain awkward presentations of men in heels. The videos with titles for male heeling are usually so low in quality or they show only the heels, that the videos aren't worth watching for the titled representation.

I agree. Most of the guys in heels things are quite sophmoric. But I could spend an entire day looking at the ladies & heels videos!

I'm all for he "cycle chic" phenomenon; riding in heels is nothing extraordinary/strange etc., and I do that too. For me, bike is a means of transport, not a recreational/sports equipment. I've got a classic Dutch one with some of my amenities, such as battery/dynamo power for lights, alarm and indicators [but I still use traditional hand signalling].

How it's done in Copenhagen:

http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/

...and how in my city, Lodz:

http://lodzcyclechic.blogspot.com

Perhaps I'll find some pics of me on my bike somewhere on the web - if I do, I'll post them :wave:

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

Watch, Enjoy, especialy, the last scene!

Thanks for sharing the video with us and I did enjoy the little factoid at the end of it. But to my recollection, I can't remember ever seeing anyone in real life real time bicycling in high heels. I'll keep an eye out.:wave:

....I can't remember ever seeing anyone in real life real time bicycling in high heels.....

In Amsterdam you'll see women routinely cycling in high heels.

Locally to me in north London there's one older woman who I've seen quite a few times cycling in platform boots with about 3" plats. She looked quite small and the effect was just plain odd looking.

Platforms? That seems a bit too difficult and risky to me... unless the bike's bottom bracket is quite high. When I ride, it's easier for me to keep pedals right next to heels, instead of under the ball of the feet.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

For the past few years, bike pedals have ridges that are suppose to help keep the soles from sliding. Plus, some pedals have a kind of a cage/cup, if you will, that cradles the toe box, which can be a bit of a hinderance should you need to unmount the bike quickly. A few years ago, I rode my bike to work in 4.5" stilettos for a few mornings before the sun started lighting the sky. The lights of the passing cars from both direction help to light up the way, but they also presented blind spots at times. This wasn't particularly helpful in areas where debris had accummulated, such as stones, rocks, boards, branches/twigs, and other litter when blinded. When I spilled a couple of times, it didn't fare well for my footwear and a bit of embarrassment and disgust for my inability to stay upright also went along. At least I gave it a go for a while, but the risk wasn't worth losing time at work, because of injuries.