Shopping for shoes sure does suck somedays

I tried to find some shoes today. I tried a number of different chains in Calgary, the more prominent ones, and only one place had anything that looked like a proper high heeled shoe. Everything out there has ugly heels, nothing slender, square toes, and it is difficult to find anything four inches or higher. Of course, I can purchase some fancy name brand pumps from Holt Renfrew, (Stuart Weitzman) but they are about $100.00 Canadian over my budget for today. I spent enough money on other things, like clothes, a second piercing in each ear... And sushi for dinner, my sister and I are quite happy now. But no shoes! I thought I was at another location of the store I saw some great shoes in, but maybe not, as they were nowhere to be found. The style was only a new release for the season a month ago, and now, nowhere. I will have to go out of my way to search for these shoes again. And I just bought this wonderful new pair of black pants that have a wonderful shiny finish. Polyester Elsatine mix of fabric. Very nice, and they will look great with patent pumps, if I ever find a pair in this mixed up city! If anyone knows of a store in this Cow-headed town that will sell a proper pump with a proper heel at four inches or higher, let me know! I needed new shoes for an interview on Monday. A new position at work, so everyone wish me luck! I may need it if I have to wear old shoes, especially if they are under four inches. That would kill my whole image right there. Now as I have been wearing four inch heels quite a bit lately, I should take the weekend as a break. I will see if I can. Look for the weekly roundup Sunday night (Monday morning for many of you) in the ultra heels section. I'm off to feel frustrated now. _________________ The message ended a line ago. Why are you still reading it? That's just weird. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Laurieheels on 2002-02-16 05:39 ]</font>

Ahhhhhhh....The stiletto heel. The last time I saw a store specialized just in those, went out of business years ago in my favorite mall. Their prices were quite reasonable to. Thank god for the internet. But that won't help you for Monday. :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

The internet requires a credit card, which I do not have and I refuse to get. Just because I am older now does not mean I feel safe having one. One week after applying for credit card: "A new credit card, woohoo!" Two weeks after receiving credit card: "Oh no, why did I order all of these shoes? I went over my limit!" That is what would happen. Not to mention that I prefer to actually try on a pair of shoes before buying them. And yes, Payless pretty much finished off the only store I knew of that carried heels, but that was when money was unpredictable and my love of heels had really grown up since then. Curse that Payless shoes! Still, the other girls who work on 3rd Ave., on the street corners and not in a building like my corporate slave self, must have a place they shop... Oh who knows anymore.

Hiya, You'll probably have to get a credit card. The're not that bad I've got three, by some miracle I'm not over the limit and I'll tell you I spend big. Like at least one piece of outerwear clothing including shoes a week. :eek:: Black pants - shiny finish, Polyester Elsatine mix of fabric, I,ve got two outfits (jacket pants and skirt) made out the stuff, I agree it does look sexy, well chosen good on you. Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-16 08:04 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

The credit card option isn't going to work for me. No bank here gives a card to someone with no credit history. Just because I pay my bills on time every month does not mean they trust me. It's silly and useless. Oh well. I'll manage, and one day, post a glorious message about actually finding something worthy of this board's admiration and of my personal use. :smile:

Look around for a secured credit card. Works exactly like a credit card but you open a savings account. Your limit is what you have in that savings account. This is the best way especially if you have a issue with a product or unwanted charges. Or use a Visa/Master ATM checkers debit card. Works like a credit card but it takes the money right out of the bank account that you have. But that way does not build a credit history. If you do use this option, I suggest that you use a separate account form the others you have.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Those items like secured credit cards are not advertised where I live. I am not sure why. I may have to pull teeth and crack skulls to find a bank that can offer me such a thing. They are all about money, and I am depressed when a bank declares a year as bad because they made less than a billion dollars profit. That's my money they happened to take for "service charges" and used for their high powered investments. Yes, society is evil. What can anyone do about it. I will scan my bank's web site for the above options and maybe I can start asking for advice on ordering over the internet! Yeah! See? Positive in the face of oppressive societal evil. Woo hoo.

Another way is to ask for your accounts to be linked to your card, can pay via your accounts rather than the card. In Oz this facility is called eftpos (electronic funds transfer point of sale), ie direct debit. Enought said about banking. Have a great day, Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finish this topic, I would like to say one thing. It does not always have to suck! It is not always that awful. I found shoes, and everyone knows it. I can buy more! I can wear what I like. Maybe the bad experiences like the one I posted to start this topic are simply a way to get a person to take a stand, get tough,a nd be determined. From a failed attempt comes knowledge and the strength to try again and do even better. Thus, I now wear my five inch stilettos at work every day.

You'll be lucky to find anything more than 4 1/2" without a platform in regular high street shops in the UK. Probabably with good reason too. The women who can walk confidently on 5", especially in typical women's sizes of 38 & 39, are few and far between, so they are not going to make many sales. I'm lucky in that I don't aspire to anything higher than 4 1/2" in a size 40 which I think is a wonderful compromise between, height, looks and wearability. Another thing I've noticed is that you hardly get any taller after 4" as the angle means you are moving forward rather than up. I certainly wish you luck in your search for the taller ones though and I'm glad to see you've found a good source :smile:

I hope they continue to be a good source! There are only so many styles a girl can buy before it comes down to 5 pairs mostly the same but with different straps. My theory is to get what I would like and then find another place. It is a bit parasitic, feed and move on, but that is much like humanity and how it takes care of our planet. I think the planet deserves better. As for places to buy heels, I think I will pick them clean for styles I like and move on.

You are right about the heel height Firefox in the shops. Loads of platforms with high heels but still not a lot of stilettos around. I recall 6 or 7 years ago they used to have racks and racks of them in different colours and heel height. What happened?? They used to sell like hot cakes too. Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

Well Debbie, fashion is fickle, and it needs lots of money. If styles do not change from year to year, women are not pressured to update their wardrobes, and then the designers and their companies make less money and they cannot jet set and eat caviar and drink real champagne. Fashion should carry over from year to year, with some change, but to have a new line mean a new trend entirely is an obvious sign of creativity mixing with greed. Stilettos are a classic style, and they should never go out of fashion, yet some designer thinks we should all wear some weird shoe design this season. WHY? We can think of it this way. When the stiletto trends swings back to the scene, all of us here who wear them now (I get to be included in this now, go me) will be experts with dignity, class and style. Anyone new to the style will look awkward. How can we lose?

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a pay as you go credit card a while back. All you need do is go to the bank and top it up with cash now and then. Then you can buy all you like online without going over budget. Another tip for online buying is to go see what you can find in the city. Cruise the shops and try on whatever catches your fancy, make notes and find them far cheaper online at home.

Just to finish this topic, I would like to say one thing.

It does not always have to suck! It is not always that awful. I found shoes, and everyone knows it. I can buy more! I can wear what I like.

Maybe the bad experiences like the one I posted to start this topic are simply a way to get a person to take a stand, get tough,a nd be determined. From a failed attempt comes knowledge and the strength to try again and do even better.

Thus, I now wear my five inch stilettos at work every day.

I like that!

real men wear heels

I bought a pay as you go credit card a while back.

All you need do is go to the bank and top it up with cash now and then.

Then you can buy all you like online without going over budget.

Another tip for online buying is to go see what you can find in the city. Cruise the shops and try on whatever catches your fancy, make notes and find them far cheaper online at home.

I do a lot of window shopping on ebay and on line then when I go out to the malls and shoe stores, I see the excact same shoes for twice the price, even on sale. So in turn, I can go on line, find what I want, have all the fun of shoe shopping with my wife trying them on and go home and order on line.

real men wear heels

• 2 months later...

I've had better luck shopping at the shoe stores (as long as I'm able to try them on). There is always a sale going on somewhere. Some days shoe shopping is a famine. But isn't wonderful when it's a feast!;)

Wife and I went to Kohls yesterday and the selection sucked! I have never seen a selection at KOHLS that was soooooooo boring.

Yes, I've never found any shoes at Kohls that were interesting at all.The have "sensible shoes" (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).;)

Yes, I've never found any shoes at Kohls that were interesting at all.The have "sensible shoes" (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).;)

The Kohl's in Canton Oh usually has a pretty good selection. I think their marketing team missed something for spring fashion this year.

real men wear heels