Jeans and Satin open toe pumps?

maninpumps

Would it be acceptable to wear jeans (and the best style of jeans)with navy blue open toe satin pumps with a bow accent? I just purchased a pair of RSVP "Rain" and would like to wear them out one day.According to my wife you can only wear satin with formal dress. Me in a formal dress would simply not work, I just do not have the figure to pull that off.LOL!

maninpumps, I looked up the shoes that you bought and they are FABULOUS! You absolutely must wear those when you find the right occasion, regardless of what you choose to go with them. They are simply beautiful. That being said, I think you could wear them with jeans quite well. As for tradition, your wife may be right about wearing satin shoes, however since you are a man, no matter what you wear them with would be unconventional. And I think everything goes with the right jeans. My suggestion would be a pair of dressier jeans, boot cut but not so long they cover the shoes. A nice length would be about a third of the way to half way over the heel while standing. A deep blue denim would be best, but not black. I was told by a clerk in a shoes store once that navy blue shoes are popular with women for jeans, which surprised me, but the jeans shouldn't be much darker than the shoes. I would suggest a crisp white dress shirt, maybe even starched, and a nice black jacket to top it off. Of course, your toes should be in nice order as well - not necessarily polished, but they are the final touch for great peep toes. I think it is wonderful that you have a supportive spouse who offers you advice and you can share your passion with. Maybe you should take her to a nice dinner in your outfit to show her how well you can get them to work with jeans. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Style is built from the ground up!

Those shoes would go very well with a tight pair of jeans, if you have the jeans covering the bow, then it would look rather silly, show them gorgeous heels off!

Gorgeous shoes!

I personally would be inclined to steer clear of the jeans with a shoe that pretty unless the jeans were the type to cling closely and stop at the ankle. (I do have a habit to steer towards 50s bad girl in terms of jeans though - think Sandy in that final scene of Grease.)

I'm a bit of a pedant though when it comes to making sure my shoes are seen if they're showy and often create the outfit from them.

I appreciate that being a guy, perhaps the freedom to do so can be diminished unless feminine is a look that you don't mind sporting.

As for only being able to wear them with formal dress? Nonsense! I'd team those babies with cropped and tight jeans and a suitable top and rock a bit of a 50s chick look as well as putting them with a knee length skirt and a coordinating blouse for a less formal but smarter look.

With all due respect to your good wife, in my opinion, saying satin is only for formal wear is like saying leather is only for dominatrices and if that's the case, I'm in a pickle!

I agree with Peta, they are gorgeous shoes. Perhaps if you paired the shoes with one of the "Rainbowe" tops also shown in one of the advertisements, along with a pair of flared woman's trousers, your wife might agree with that look. :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all that had ideas for what to wear with my new pumps. Happyfeet, I went with your idea but without the jacket. (rather hot in KY) I went shopping in a Louisville strip mall with my wife and had a great time. Sure got some looks but most of the ladies liked the heels and wanted to know where I bought them. Kind of funny how some ladies will talk to a man about heels but would not give them the time if he was wearing sneakers...