Unisex

Greg2010

Should High heels be unisex?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should High heels be unisex?

• Yes
    • May be
    • No

i believe that high heels should be unisex. they should have whatever sole and heel combination you feel like such as 5'' stiletto with a 1'' platform or a 3'' chunky heel and single sole. as long as they dont look too girly then they could be classed as unisex. you can actually buy a unisex high heel shoe. i have posted a picture of a unisex boot with a 6''+ heel which are actually sold as unisex. there is also a black court shoe with a 5'' chunky heel that MIGHT get away with being classed as unisex but there is no way that you could call the sandal unisex as it is too girly looking. at the end of the day this is just my personal opinion. everyone has different views. a transvestite is more likely to want a girly looking pair where as someone like myself would go for the court style. we must also remember that high heels were worn by men in the 1970's including myself. would these have been classed as unisex

The boots in the 1st photo looks cool but being 5'11 ahh I mite up being taller then Herman Munster (60's tv series) who wears this type of boot in the series:unsure:.

The heels in the 2nd photo can pass as unisex if the guy wears then with black skinny jeans. Red,pink, only by a woman.

Not sure what people mite think if a guy wears pink jeans with or with out any kind of heel??

Being a part time transvestite who only goes out on the odd Halloween,I find the shoes in the 3rd photo to be way to girly even for me. So I'll pass on this heel! I'd rather wear the heels in the 2nd photo then those in the 3rd photo.

Like pussyinboots posted earlier, it's the attitude towards wearing heels that should be unisexed. Each person has their own set of likes. I don't like hair towering above the head over three inches, but I like long hair that is puffy on top with relaxed curls that begains to lay on the shoulders and drapes 3 to 4" below the neck. The bangs also look great when they drape across the forehead slanting over the eyes. Should everyone wear this do? No way! It doesn't fit some faces and if the person doesn't like it, they shouldn't be pressured to wear their hair like this, but that doesn't stop me from liking it, at least on some people. So it goes with the choice of a person's attire and in this case their shoes. If many men decide to wear footwear with "feminine" attributes and everybody else considers it "sissyphobic" if they don't wear them also, who has the problem? Careful! It's a trick question.

well tiffany, I'll just bet that someone could very well give one of those "cause thats just the way it is" type of answer, which does not make any sense @ all ofcourse, & I might add the mere fact of the matter that skirts WERE worn by men @ one time too-but try telling THAT to these kinds of narrow minded people!:smile:

You also have to keep in mind that this isn't just a problem for men. Unfortunetly there's a lot of guys and girls out there (and frankly I think there's a couple of them in here as well..) that has a very narrow minded view on how a woman should look and dress like. Guys praise the long-legged woman with high heels, short skirt and a very feminine, sexy look but at the same moment you choose to cut your hair and dress in loose fitted jeans and a t-shirt you're (according to some people) automatically not a "real" woman any more.

“Sometimes you have to sacrifice your performance for high heels” www.heelsoholic.com

M-a, You make a great point. This attitude stems from the idea that others have the power to choose what should be an individual's personal choice. There are going to be standard situations where people should be dressed either formally, Sunday best, casually, or relaxed. It should be a person's own decision as to the attire for these activities using the social guidelines. I'm sure there are some guys who would wear an evening gown and heels and some girls who would wear the tux and heels to a formal event and that should be their choice. The same type of options should be part of the other standard situations. Obviously, we as a society would have to get use to these sights, but this agency should be socially returned to each person.

In my country women dress even in the most masculine manner.Some do that on formal occasions, office jobs.There is no public scorn.While a guy even in pink and shaved legs is ridiculed. Double standard I guess. Women in masculine fashion have boyfriends, seen many of them on the outside, so generally speaking they do not suffer in relationships - just are not so popular as other type of females.And definitely women prefer the muscular guy so that applies to males also that there is a stereotype of how a man should be in physique - it is not just about long-legged women. What I say is that women have the utter right to self express themselves (even if they do not look like models) while males are limitted. Who cannot see that is either blind or hypocritical.

Do we really need to make this a competition between the genders..? :) I'm absolutely not trying to reduce the things you have to deal with, all I wanted to do was shed some light on the fact that this is a problem for women as well. (It might not be as big of a problem for us but it's still a problem and we have a right to feel that it's a real problem despite the fact that you guys probably go through a lot worse) I believe that we all have the right to express ourselves and dress the way we want to (regardless of gender) but we might not get the same response from the general public. I totally agree on the fact that a man in high heels will have to put up with more nasty comments than a woman in short hair and masculine clothes but does that mean that it's not as important to discuss and work against the fact that women have to put up with similiar things? Imo you can't fight for one persons right to express himself the way he wants while you don't care about the girl standing next to him. I would like to see a world where EVERYONE could dress the way they wanted to. I don't care if you're a girl in a uniform or a man in stilettos, as a person you've got the right to be yourself. Period. Btw, sorry for the bad grammar, I just got home from work (where I dress up in a very manly uniform :smile: ) and I'm just so tired right now...

“Sometimes you have to sacrifice your performance for high heels” www.heelsoholic.com

Do we really need to make this a competition between the genders..? :smile:

I'm absolutely not trying to reduce the things you have to deal with, all I wanted to do was shed some light on the fact that this is a problem for women as well. (It might not be as big of a problem for us but it's still a problem and we have a right to feel that it's a real problem despite the fact that you guys probably go through a lot worse)

I believe that we all have the right to express ourselves and dress the way we want to (regardless of gender) but we might not get the same response from the general public. I totally agree on the fact that a man in high heels will have to put up with more nasty comments than a woman in short hair and masculine clothes but does that mean that it's not as important to discuss and work against the fact that women have to put up with similiar things? Imo you can't fight for one persons right to express himself the way he wants while you don't care about the girl standing next to him.

I would like to see a world where EVERYONE could dress the way they wanted to.

I don't care if you're a girl in a uniform or a man in stilettos, as a person you've got the right to be yourself. Period.

We've got to catch your vision of being unisexed. Men and women are made up of individual human beings. They all use the same senses to determine and evaluate life processes. We should quit regarding our equipment to procreate as a wedge or a boundary for how people feel and desire. It is a matter of respect. People shouldn't have to worry about their space being violated when they wear their selection. We all want to feel and look our best and if this means wearing shorts or a mini skirt with really high heels, others have to respect our space. We have the right to be left alone, if we aren't violating another's space. We also should have the right to decide if or how much another person can interact with us.

I realize society is set up to promote and magnify its perception of people to be a self-fulfilling cycle as long as we ignore the contradictions and men wearing high heels has been one of the "in your face" departures from the promoted social standards. Men have to insist on their right of equality to wear heels, just like women have had to insist that their rights to be of equal status in our civilization. Again, we are all human beings with our own set of desires, skills, and talents derived from the same potential. We all began life as females and then due to certain laws of nature and divine care we develop our individuality.

I agree M-a, Women fought for their right to wear pants so it's not like you've had it easy all this time and you still don't. Let us remember that not so long ago a woman in Sudan got 20 lashes for wearing pants!! :smile: There is still a lot of bigotry in the world and we should not care if men or women have it harder but instead work in changing the way people think.

Do we really need to make this a competition between the genders..? :)

I'm absolutely not trying to reduce the things you have to deal with, all I wanted to do was shed some light on the fact that this is a problem for women as well. (It might not be as big of a problem for us but it's still a problem and we have a right to feel that it's a real problem despite the fact that you guys probably go through a lot worse)

I believe that we all have the right to express ourselves and dress the way we want to (regardless of gender) but we might not get the same response from the general public. I totally agree on the fact that a man in high heels will have to put up with more nasty comments than a woman in short hair and masculine clothes but does that mean that it's not as important to discuss and work against the fact that women have to put up with similiar things? Imo you can't fight for one persons right to express himself the way he wants while you don't care about the girl standing next to him.

I would like to see a world where EVERYONE could dress the way they wanted to.

I don't care if you're a girl in a uniform or a man in stilettos, as a person you've got the right to be yourself. Period.

Btw, sorry for the bad grammar, I just got home from work (where I dress up in a very manly uniform :smile: ) and I'm just so tired right now...

I really coudn't agree with you more 'M-a', and this is very well written.

Actually, we DO live in a world where everyone is supposedly free to wear what they want without harrassment from others. Well, in the so called 'free' Western world we do. There are of course, some countries where there are dictatorships, or fervent religious beliefs, that prevent the ordinary person from being themselves, but in the main, there are NO laws that tell a person what clothes they should wear or how they should style their hair.

Of course, in Western society, the freedom of expression that most so called 'free' countries profess to uphold in their democratic processes, is actually stained by the awful concept of 'conformity'.

Conformity is a dreadful state of affairs, where the fears of the un-informed majority, subjugate the freedom and expression of the enlightened and happy few. In other words, people conform, because sadly, other people are frightened of those who dare to be different, or who have the inner strength to express themselves WITHOUT worrying about what everyone else thinks.

It is also far, far easier for others to criticise, than it is for them to change their own ideas about life.

It all boils down to education. If more folks had a decent crack at their education (and also travelled a bit more), then they would have a far more balanced view of what is 'bad' and what is not.

There are MUCH worse things going on in this World than a man wearing high heels.

Really BAD things, that most Governments in so called 'enlightened' Westeren countries tacitly, or actively approve of too!!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

It all boils down to education. If more folks had a decent crack at their education (and also travelled a bit more), then they would have a far more balanced view of what is 'bad' and what is not.

I think you nailed it right in the head!

Good conversation, and I agree with all of the last 10 posts of the thread.(did not back more than that in the thread) Education, acceptance for what and how a person "is" and communication is key. That would make it a much better place, meantime unisex shoes? I think just "shoes", high heeled shoes to flats makes no difference who they are for. As long as we enjoy what we want to in footwear. Mtnsofheels

Poll closes in two days and I want to say thanks to those who voted and posted comments based on my poll. Its nice to see 82% are infavor of heels being unisex. Sad that only three women posted comments on this subject. So my thanks goes out to Ami,M-A and Pussyinboots for what they had to say about this question. Thank you girls.

• 2 months later...

Like many threads that have been posted, the discussions are well worth re-reading from time to time, instead of being lost in the shuffle of time that so many of the good threads have exiled to. Perhaps there should be a way to highlight these particular threads by locking them and then moving them to a new special titled section of greatest threads. To achieve such a status though, a system of support like nominating with 3 or four members supporter to second the nomination and then have the nominated thread approved by let's say another 50 member, excluding the nominating team. If there is already a system to highlight these great threads, I would like to know.

Like many threads that have been posted, the discussions are well worth re-reading from time to time, instead of being lost in the shuffle of time that so many of the good threads have exiled to. Perhaps there should be a way to highlight these particular threads by locking them and then moving them to a new special titled section of greatest threads. To achieve such a status though, a system of support like nominating with 3 or four members supporter to second the nomination and then have the nominated thread approved by let's say another 50 member, excluding the nominating team.

If there is already a system to highlight these great threads, I would like to know.

Sounds like a good idea BUT will it add to the workload of our already overworked modsquad?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Sounds like a good idea BUT will it add to the workload of our already overworked modsquad?

Yes, this will be more effort to bring out the best of our discussions, but nothing happens until a member nominates one with an explanation for nominating it and is seconded by at least 3 other members (one being a mod). Then the thread is advertised in some way that it is being considered as one of the greatest discussions and that if it gets a certain amount of positive votes, say 50, then the thread will receive a golden heel by its title and/or moved to an elite selection for easier and notable access.

Hi everybody as far as high heel shoes bieng unisex why do they have to be classified at all, the other day in a shoe section of a dept store there was a girl trying on mens workboots did she get any strange looks NO, so why dosen't the shoe retail world stop catorgising shoes and just have the shoes ( and the clothes) there in one store for people to try and buy at their own will ( yes this would be my wish but would not suit the majority of the world, lets be honest ) \ cheers malinheels :wave:

Hi everybody as far as high heel shoes bieng unisex why do they have to be classified at all, the other day in a shoe section of a dept store

so why dosen't the shoe retail world stop catorgising shoes and just have the shoes ( and the clothes) there in one store for people to try and buy at their own will ( yes this would be my wish but would not suit the majority of the world, lets be honest )

\ cheers malinheels :wave:

This comment reminds me of something that happened in my friend's shop a while ago. She owned an independent shoe shop in our main town, and had a number of men come in for high heels on a regular basis - including one guy who was simply wonderful at walking in stiletto heels....he used to glide across the floor as though he'd been born in them.

Anyway, I was in there one Saturday late afternoon, trying on a gorgeous pair of White, 5" strappy mules. He was also there, trying on the same heels, (with bare feet...and wild neon pink toenails....), and we were comparing notes about them as we walked around the shop.

A young girl walked into the shop.....she was wearing a boiler suit, a 'day-glo' yellow workman's safety jacket...and 'Doc Martin's' boots.

She took one look at this guy trying on the mules....screwed her face up in disgust...and walked right back out of the shop again!!

As my Auntie used to say...."There's now't so queer as folks"...!!:)

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Do we really need to make this a competition between the genders..? :wave:

Thank you for posting this M-a. There seems to be an undertone of male/female competition on this site which I personally dont understand. I didnt vote myself because the question was pointless given that we are posting on a site for men and women who wear heels.

For me, this site is a friendly oasis, on which I can discuss or seek advide regarding heels with like-minded men and women. We are all here because of our passion for wearing heels. Leave the sniping and bikering for the real world. There are plenty out there who will take care of that aspect for us. I fail to see why we shouldnt be united on this site.

Do we really need to make this a competition between the genders..?

Thank you for posting this M-a. There seems to be an undertone of male/female competition on this site which I personally dont understand. I didnt vote myself because the question was pointless given that we are posting on a site for men and women who wear heels.

For me, this site is a friendly oasis, on which I can discuss or seek advice regarding heels with like-minded men and women. We are all here because of our passion for wearing heels. Leave the snipping and bickering for the real world. There are plenty out there who will take care of that aspect for us. I fail to see why we shouldn't be united on this site.

Given the fact that in this forum we all love to wear high heels, doesn't make us of one mind. With these diversity of perspectives and insights that are discussed in this forum, we are able to get a better view of and about the real world as heelers. Every post is subject to interpretation as each reader gleans the truth of what is being said. If it is correct and right to you, then you have another piece of truth to build upon, until a different insight has better ground to grow and achieve the progressive ideas or dreams of an ultimate evolving goal.

Since every tangible thing we have, is being categorized by mankind (society) who doesn't understand the importance and reality of individualism, we have to aggressively enforce our personal rights and one of them is having the choice as to how and what each person will adorn their physique. Man-made labels really mean nothing, if those labels curtail personal choices.

Like I have posted before, if you have the right to decide what I can wear, then I have the right to decide yours. There really isn't any item with the proper sizing for the intended application, that can be used as apparel which can't be chosen by another human who desires to wear it. Therefore, no need for names or titles like unisex.

After this concept was written, the idea made me think of a suit (your option) made completely of high heeled stiletto pumps of all sizes and heights. It doesn't seem functional, but if someone wanted to make and wear it, I'd say go for it. What do you mean, there won't be any hugs. OK! Back to reality, at least my two sense (pun intended) of it.