Arches of feet in heels...

SarahLou

I should know by now, but I was wondering what the normal arch for a foot is. I bought some shoes yesterday and when I was trying them on in the store, I realised you could see under my foot when I had them on..I'm pretty sure I don't have the high arch condition, but it seems weird that there would be this much space between my arch and the shoe! Anyone else had that happen? xx

People come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes and so do their feet. Some shoes are made with a curved arcg and some are made without a pronounced arch. Some people find one type more comfortable than the other and others find a high arched shoe an erotic experience to wear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I should know by now, but I was wondering what the normal arch for a foot is. I bought some shoes yesterday and when I was trying them on in the store, I realised you could see under my foot when I had them on..I'm pretty sure I don't have the high arch condition, but it seems weird that there would be this much space between my arch and the shoe!

Anyone else had that happen? xx

It's not unusual at all. I've had this happen often with High Street shoes. A lot of manufacturers do not raise the arch in the inner sole as they should - instead just leave it as a flat component without an 'under-arch' cushion.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Some people find a pronounced arch uncomfortable...

I have a very narrow foot and a very high arch. This is one reason high heels are more comfortable for me that totally flat shoes, sandals, or flip-flops. I had to wear special shoes with big arch supports as a youngster.

I have a foot with a high arch on it and have noticed that effect on a great many pairs of my high heels. They still fit me well and are quite comfortable to wear for long hours at a time, but I have always wondered why I could see that my arch and the arch of the shoe didn't connect. I have also seen this effect on many women through the years. The fact that one foot is male or one female doesn't seem to matter. It also depends on just how high the side of the shoe is made whether you can see your arch or not. It probably happens in my boots too but of course you don't know. It is also because of the way that the shoe is designed. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Everyone's arch is different. The point to note I believe with your own feet and your high heels is to try to make sure the arch of the shoe matches your foot. Ideally then this means that your sole of your foot from the toe to your heel is in contact with the shoe - and therefore your weight is spread better. The more weight you can spread towards your heel the comfier your high heels will be and the less tension/ pain you get in the balls of your feet. Obviously if you have very high arches then your feet won't necessarily match your shoes, but getting your weight back on your heels still stands true. Cheers Heel-Lover

That's the reason why you won't see me wear my sneakers often is because of that gap in the middle of my feet. I use to be able to wear them until I began wearing high heels on a regular basis and at times, wearing them to bed too. The main reason was to help shape my feet more, plus, I love the feeling of wearing heels period. Over time, wearing normal sneakers began to hurt each time I would take a step. That's when I knew my arch had stretched beyond the point of having "permanently" high-heel feet. Even now, I've got a pair of 6" ankle high oxfords on. Sort of like sneakers, but with heels :smile:. Quite comfortable.

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot"--Marilyn Monroe

That's the reason why you won't see me wear my sneakers often is because of that gap in the middle of my feet. I use to be able to wear them until I began wearing high heels on a regular basis and at times, wearing them to bed too. The main reason was to help shape my feet more, plus, I love the feeling of wearing heels period. Over time, wearing normal sneakers began to hurt each time I would take a step. That's when I knew my arch had stretched beyond the point of having "permanently" high-heel feet. Even now, I've got a pair of 6" ankle high oxfords on. Sort of like sneakers, but with heels :smile:. Quite comfortable.

One of the reasons I why I wear heals. My feet have a naturaly high arch. Since Iv started wearing them I find it alot better to walk around and stand for loger peroids of time in heels than flat shoes. Infact Im considering buying some wedges for work (just worried how they will take it).

Everybodys diffrent I guess. It just a shame that if your a man and your feet and your feet natrualy fit heels better then tough society expects you to put up with the discomfort lol

hi I think everyone has a different arch. That's why some ppl are flat footed and some aren't. To make mass market shoes, manufacturers probably find it easier to just ignore the arch. I find shoes with higher arches easier to walk in as they give me more support and keep the weight off my toes. The only mass market brand I've found with higher arches so far are Strutt Couture. It is a pricey line, but the shoes all have great arch support.

hi I think everyone has a different arch. That's why some ppl are flat footed and some aren't.

I find shoes with higher arches easier to walk in as they give me more support and keep the weight off my toes. The only mass market brand I've found with higher arches so far are Strutt Couture. It is a pricey line, but the shoes all have great arch support.

You're very close with this comment. Manufacturers actually find it CHEAPER to ignore the arch. It saves them money on fashioning the foot 'lasts' in the first place, it saves them money on design costs - and it saves on investment in the mechanical presses that fix the inner sole to the base/sole of the shoes. All in all - it's a lot cheaper for them to produce flat inner soles without arch support.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I've been told I have flat feet, but some of my heels appear to have zero arch support, and as a result, wearing them hurts both my heels and the ball of my foot! I am most comfortable in heels between 3.5 inches and 4.25 inches, provided they have good arch support. Most flats, regardless of arch support - no way.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.