Descrete Heels

sscotty727

Hi All, In case you missed my "I am back" message in the Hellos and Goodbyes section, I am now back on the form after a few years of being absent. While I still wear "heels", I am now forced to wear more discrete heels due to my kids and work (plus my wife still isn't too wild about me wearing heels). I was wondering how many other guys out there are in a similar situation, love the feeling of wearing heels but can't openly wear heels due to family/work situations. If there is enough interest, I was thinking of starting a thread to discuss ideas on how to modify shoes, maybe were to buy less obvious shoes and maybe even share successful modifications to shoes. I would be more than happy to share some of things I have found work over the years. Scotty

I have had a few pair of boots made over the years to be able to keep heeling. My current pairs are a Black pair of Cowboy boots with a 3 1/2 inch heel and my new pair of red and black Cowboy boots with a 4 and 1/8 inch heel. (See my avatar) I also wear them with long boot cut jeans, and with my normal need of a 36 inch inseam, finding the longer jeans sometimes is hard, but I have found inseams 37.5 real easy, 38 inch a little harder, and I have actually found a pair with a 39 inch inseam. You have to really look, and they will all be womens jeans. tightlevisandhhboots

Those are cool. The actual heel is probably still too high for me to get away with around my wife and kids, but I think they look great. I actually have a black pair of Harley Davidson and a tan pair of BCB Girls (that don't look like girls at all). I use inserts inside the boots to give me "heels".

They look very much like these ones from Target (I might even get a pair of these as backups).

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Katherine-Engineer/dp/B0028PVWBQ/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=724490011&node=724490011&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=2&sessionID=176-1292060-8206217&searchSize=30

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Katherine-Engineer/dp/B001W7V8VU/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

The inserts I use actually put my heel above the strap in the back so the height is pretty good. I've even worn the black ones to work with no eyes raised.

In my more secretive days, there were a few times when I wore my 4" stiletto heeled pumps in over-sized wading boots to work. The heels broke through the bottom, so I had to insert a steel plate under the heel tip to keep the heels from poking though and sticking out the bottom. I would only recommend this discreetness for the desperate to wear heels.

scotty727, I'd definitely classify myself as a discrete heel wearer. For my discretion, I'm looking for a pair that if I was walking around a store, or standing in a checkout line, wouldn't be obvious to the people around me that I was wearing women's high heels. To a degree, wearing women's shoes isn't that difficult. If you have a shoe like the ones you linked to - chunky/full heel, up to about 2" high, you could probably wear them all day, and no one who think they weren't a men's shoe. I thought the Megan boot in this post would be a perfect pair:

http://www.hhplace.org/guys/12341-great_shoe_future_first-time_public_heelers.html

These are also ones you might be able to wear around your family, and not get 'outed'.

To go with higher heels in public takes more work (particularly in large sizes, where the selection is just horrible). Then, I think you need to go with the old standby's: chunky heels, and bootcut pants with a longer inseam. [For those who wear stillettos, sandles, etc, I don't think there's much discretion there, more like (as many have commented) you just don't care what other people think of your shoes.]

What do you use as inserts in your shoes? Based on those Target shoes having a 1.75" heel, it looks like it's a good 2" to get to about the strap. That's a lot of filler material. As much as I'd like the discretion of my heels being 3"+ off the ground, in shoes that only show 1/2 of that, I'd be worried that I'm missing out on some valuable ankle support.

Hi jwhite44. Thank you for the ideas on the shoes. I like how they look and I've owned similiar pair early on, but my wife really doesn't like me wearing anything with a heel. Yes I have tried to fight that battle, however, I have found over the years there are battles you fight and those you gracefully bow out. This is one of them. Over the years and alot of discussion, we have come to the conclusion that something with a descrete wedge or better, something "hidden" would allow me to wear heels while not offending. I've had some styles, however as my daughters have gotten older (my oldest is now 11) and questions come up (my excuse in all this is I have a bad back and they help, which is actually true on both accounts), I have had to ditch some of the more obvious one and get even more descrete. Now comes to the questions posed by Histiletto. Initially, I've padded alot of heel supports (the half liners that you buy for just the heel part of the foot). as can be expected, it's hard to just keep glueing them and also once you stand on them, they compress a bit so not much heel height is achieved. An idea I came up with a few years ago is to try to mould something out of wood. I've actually gotten a semi circle from the craft store and cut it in half and filed them down to a wedge shape. If I glue a few heel inserts on top of them, I get a nice stable support that feels good. My only concern is how orthopedic are they? In some shoes I've gotten those plastic arch supports and used them with inserts of even the wood under them. Again they work well in some cases. Recently I had a pair of cloudwalker wedges by Avenue that my wife didn't like at all (toe too pointy, heel too thin), so I couldn't wear them in public or around the family. So they sat collecting dust. I was about to just donate them to the local charity shop when I had an idea. What if I cut the heel out and used that inside a shoe with a heel over over it? Afterall, these were actually molded to be an actual heel! Recently, I just did that. I used them inside the boots I posted earlier with much success. My only issue was it compressed the top of my foot hard against the top part of the boot. Sitting at home I felt fine all day, walking around the store and OUCH! I used a hacksaw and cut a little off the bottom. So far so good, but the true test will be to wear them around. I did have alot of success with the wood/heel insert in these boots, so I might just go back to that. I even wore them to work all day and had no trouble. I just wanted to see that the heel insert would do. I might have to save them for man shoes. Anyway, if anyone has other ideas, please feel free to share them. Scotty

Maybe you just need to start more conservative, and not do too much that leads people to think you're in women's shoes. That's why I think boots are a great place to start.

For example, look at the these Harley-Davidson Men's El Paso Boot's:

http://www.endless.com/Harley-Davidson-Mens-El-Paso-Boot/dp/B001U0P22U/ref=sr_1_11/?cAsin=B000FE90VQ&fromPage=search&qid=1261481080506&sr=1-11&asins=B0007TQ120,B000BT30O8,B002GJU5QC,B0007TQ0VM,B0007TMO9Y,B0007TQ0M6,B001PPFHPW,B002GJU5FS,B0026LOXS6,B002GJU4WC,B000FE90VQ,B0007TRF6Q,B002DYG4VK,B0007TRF16,B001AXHYA0,B0027A82QU,B001N2RFLG,B002GJU648,B000FE90XO,B0026M2EIQ,B0007TRGD8,B001T1ME1M,B000BT320A,B002EVPUCQ,B002GJU4N6,B002E1VX5Y,B002CP1G9A,B000JJQL64,B0007TMSUO,B002EVPUVC,B000JJQN1M,B0026M4FXI,B0019UCVL6,B000BT4HFY,B000KVNN30,B0007TQ03U,B0007TMOCG,B002DYI8D2,B0027A83T6,B002O3WYGE,B000JLJMNG,B002CP7EPU,B000BT6RM0,B002COXHNE,B002CP5BJQ,B0026LX95Y,B0007TPAI6,B0027A832S,B002CP7CZW,B0027A83FU,B0007TRFI4,B002O3WY82,B001W5OSWI&asinTitle=Harley-Davidson%20El%20Paso%20Boot&contextTitle=Search%20Results&page=1&size=100&dept=242087011&node=242087011&nodes=242087011&keywords=harley&sort=relevancerank&showDesigner=undefinedsecondaryBrands=undefined

(sorry, too lazy to shorten the link). These are 100% men's boots (and what's not manly about H-D !). After a month or so, you could move to:

http://www.endless.com/Harley-Davidson-Womens-El-Paso-Boot/dp/B001TDL5CO/ref=sr_1_11/?cAsin=B000F2SM58&fromPage=search&qid=1261481976405&sr=1-11&asins=B001PPKSFG,B000JJQM54,B002CGSRRS,B002IKKYJC,B002IKKXVG,B002IKL040,B002CGSSJ0,B000EXJAV8,B002IKKYOC,B001I8VD2C,B000F2SM58,B001T1K784,B001A4DJKS,B002CGSS8G,B002CGSRY6,B000WE5CAM,B001NWRQRO,B002IKL0HC,B000AJHTU0,B000EXNC1M,B000G5U34C,B0016QPUOI,B000G603EG,B0016QPU8Y,B002IKL0CM,B000IHNBE2,B0007TPZBI,B002IKKZLY,B0015I0X08,B002CGSS1I,B002CGSR2I,B0027A85QC,B002IKL0OU,B0026M2D3W,B0027A85YO,B002CGSPZW,B0026M0PAK,B002IKL08G,B000G3L3KC,B002IKKYT2&asinTitle=Harley-Davidson%20El%20Paso%206

Which is the women's El Paso - basically the same boot, but with a higher heel.

Now, pull up the side profile picture on the endless.com site, and also pull up the picture of the Megan from my previous post. I think if you wore the H-D boot for a month or two, and then switched into the Megan, no one would notice. The El Paso men's is about a 1" heel; the women's is listed as 1/2"; I think the Megan might have been 2 1/4". You're starting to get some lift, but otherwise there's not anything that obviously says you're in women's shoes.

After this, it's just a matter of keeping an eye out for similar style boots with higher heels. You're just never going to be able to pull this off with a stilletto-heeled shoe.

Anyway, so to run so long. I hope things go well for you whatever you do.

What is funny is that second "women's" shoe is more or less what I have. If you remove the zipper and extend the boot height, that is what I have, Harley Davidson too. I've worn them to work several times with no issue. I even wore them to the doctors today. Actually, that small amount I hacked off on the heel did wonders. Now they feel perfect and I can walk just fine in them:) I can try to take some pics of the inserts later if anyone is interested. BTW, I let my photobucket account expire. Does hhplace have a place to upload pics or do I need to get photobucket back? Scotty

I'm glad my suggestion wasn't completely off base, I'm surprised how closely it matches what you're actually doing. What is the reaction with these boots? Does anyone know (or notice) that they are women's boots, or do they just think they are men's H-D boots? If you are okay with these, do you think you could move up to a Megan-type boot without much issue? I thought H-D had a higher-heel women's boot that was still pretty chunky, but I don't see it currently, and I haven't been able to find mention of it yet in a previous post.

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not. No one has said anything. I did get a guy at the doctors office yesterday do a few looks, but I don't think he could put his finger on why he thought something might be off so he didn't make any reaction. I think the main thing is they are a little more narrow than a man's boot would be, but other than that they look no different than a man's boot. BTW, I do appreciate all the suggestions given, however, my main objective isn't to try to figure out a way to wear higher heels in public. Actually, I used to wear 3" block heels out and even wore them to work at my previous client's site (I am a computer consultant). The issue is that my wife didn't like me being obvious with my heel wearing, especially with our girls. Now I could have fought her and probably would have ended up a single divorced guy OR I could give in and figure out more descrete ways to wear heels. I opted for the later. As I said, you have to know which battles to fight and what is more important, family or heel wearing. SO, given that, I wanted to #1 see if anyone else was in a similiar situation as me; #2 share my sucesses with "discrete" heelsl; and #3 to see if anyone else might have ideas. As I said, I do greatly appreciate all the ideas and comments given. I just wanted to make sure it was clear my intent wasn't to try to work up courage to wear higher and higher heels out, I've already gone down that path, but more to find/share ways to still enjoy the feel of a heel but be discrete about it. Scotty

I think any of my suggestions would be appropriate at home as well as in public. If you're looking for a discrete way to wear spiked heels at home, I'm not sure that will ever happen. My suggestion was to pick a shoe (boot in this case), that someone, whether a 2 or a 10 second glance, wouldn't obviously say, "They're women's shoes." Maybe there's something else besides boots, but I can't think of it. If you're looking for something else, maybe others can help out.

I think any of my suggestions would be appropriate at home as well as in public. If you're looking for a discrete way to wear spiked heels at home, I'm not sure that will ever happen. My suggestion was to pick a shoe (boot in this case), that someone, whether a 2 or a 10 second glance, wouldn't obviously say, "They're women's shoes." Maybe there's something else besides boots, but I can't think of it.

If you're looking for something else, maybe others can help out.

I've given up on being able to wear spiked heels except maybe while getting ready in the morning or something like that. I now try to get something discrete looking and see if I can increase the heel by using inserts. I've had success with some shoes, others I have found I can't add any height. I have a few I wear with non much height, but atleast they are still women's shoes, which I think are always much better looking anyway.

But again, I do appreciate all your suggestions, so please feel free and keep them coming.

Update on the boots: Lastnight we took the girls to get their pictures with Santa. I wore my boots with the inserts. Standing there the boots got real tight and really hurt my feet. Once the pictures were taken I was able to sit while my wife took the girls to a few stores. I tugged on the straps around the front of the boot to see if I could losen it a little as it was digging into the top of my foot. I must have pulled hard as the strap pulled out (but the boot is fine). Once the strap was removed, I felt an instant relief, so I pulled it out the other side. I did the same to the other boot. Now the straps are gone and they boots feel great! There is no damage so I will probably wear these like this all the time now. I am glad I removed the straps, it seems it was the staps that were hurting my foot.

SScotty727:-) I have a similar pair of Harley-Davidson ladies boots in black with a 3" chunky heel that I have had for several years and have streetheeled in them many, many times. They are quite comfortable and I have worn them all day long and into the night several times. Years ago they used to call them a snoot boot or a harness boot and were very popular with both the guys and gals. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

This may be a little off topic, but I think it applies. From what I can glean from the conversations sscotty727 and jwhite44 are having, they are just playing with words. As long as the footwear is seen as men's footwear, thus it is, whether it is labeled for women or men. You are being untrue and only fooling yourself to think otherwise. The YSL Johnnie Boots have medium high block heels, but society has accepted them as men's footwear. You could walk over to the women's shoe section and find the very same style, but low and behold they have got a women's brand notation and men are forbidden to choose them. There is also a discussion of sorts in this forum that block heels (up to 5") are the heels men should wear, if they are wanting to show they will continue to be "men". Women have worn them and they haven't turned into men yet, at least not from the footwear. So how is wearing shoes with the labeling for women to wear, but look like men shoes going to be any different than wearing men's shoes in the first place. Getting dizzy yet from going in circles? I have a few shirts that are labeled women's. The coloring and the pattern designs caught my fancy and unless you are very allert and an expert on clothing design, the shirts don't jump out as being made for women. So the buttons fasten on the other side and they are styled to be more form fitting. The trim and taut appearance one has when wearing these shirts goes with the ideals society has stereotyped the smartly dress and successful men as wearing. So! Are the shirts men's, women's, or does it matter? I did get a comment one time from a lovely woman that she had a shirt just like the one I had on. I retorted that we must have the same good taste. Wearing stilettos in the male mode does require discretion and an effort to coordinate the whole look. If men wear shoes that doesn't depart from their perceived stereotype, what is the need to be discreet? As I posted earlier about wearing stilettos inside boots just to be wearing heels, the only person I was fooling was me. Nobody else knew and they saw only the oversized, flat heeled boots. The tragedy is that this action didn't bring male heeling any closer to acceptance or even public awareness that men want to wear high heels, even stilettos.

I am not going to get in a fight here, I am not "mixing words" nor "fooling myself". Everyone has a reason they wear heels, they vary as much as there are style of heels. While others might want to "fight the system" for the right to wear heels as a man, I am not one of those. I wear heels because I simply like the feeling of how the foot arches in a heel. Now if I can wear said "heel" for the feeling while outwardly looking like I am not wearing a heel and therefore keep the wife happy, then I've made everyone involved happy. The way I have gotten around this in the past seveal years, I've gotten shoes that either don't look too much like a heel (like some of my other shoes) or adding inserts to the boots as already discussed in this thread. Outwardly it appears like I am wearing a "man's" shoe yet I am walking on a heel on the inside, therefore satifying MY personal desire and reason for wearing a heel. I simply asked if ANYONE else had a similiar concern and if I could swap ideas around on types of shoes and ways to add inserts to get the heel effect while not looking obvious. I didn't ask to be critized for my choice for not waiting to wear an obvious heel outside. As I said, there are reasons I can't, mainly I love my wife and family and don't feel like fighting them for the right to wear obvious heels. I am sorry if you don't like that, but that is how it is for me. That was one of the main reasons I quit HHPLACE in the first place, I got tired of being put down and fighting others to justify why I wear heels and how I choose to wear them while still remaining anonymous. I don't begrude others wearing heels in public, I say more power to them. I just am not one that can join that group of heel wearers. Maybe this isn't the site for me afterall. Scotty

Hey sscotty727, You should be angry at me for being so blunt at your expense. We all have made accommodations for our particular situations to wear the heels that can pass the scrutiny from those around us we prize very highly. Since your intention for this thread was to get examples of ideas for elevating your heels to get the same effect as wearing high heels, I'm wondering how much you have looked into the inside shoe lift products on the market that are made for inserting? I have seen the advertisements, but have never tried them.

Hey sscotty727,

You should be angry at me for being so blunt at your expense. We all have made accommodations for our particular situations to wear the heels that can pass the scrutiny from those around us we prize very highly.

Since your intention for this thread was to get examples of ideas for elevating your heels to get the same effect as wearing high heels, I'm wondering how much you have looked into the inside shoe lift products on the market that are made for inserting? I have seen the advertisements, but have never tried them.

Ok, truce. Just I hope you and others here recognize that not everyone has the goal of trying to go out in public in high heels to change the world. For those that are doing that, hats off to you and I wish you nothing but the best and support you completely.

However, there are those of us who can't for various reasons do that.

In my case, my wife is not happy with me being in obvious heels. That isn't going to change. We have been married going on 20 years with knowing each other for almost 24 years. I told her my like for heels from the beginning, so this isn't something new I sprung on her all of a sudden, she went into the relationship knowing I liked heels. Of course the idea of wearing them in public never occured to me until MANY years later when I found hhplace. To her credit, she let me wear some heels (not obvious or thin heels, but 3" block heel boots). She didn't like me being in them, atleast not around her. She let me wear them when I was alone during the week, working away from home.

Now that I am home and my daughters are growing up, she asked me to wear less obvious heels. With 3 girls that are growing up fast (the oldest is 11), I suspect it is going to get more and more restrictive, especially once they hit dating age and start to bring home boyfriends to meet mom and dad. I doubt they will want to introduce them to dad in the high heels.

To her credit, she could have told me no women's shoes at all or don't use inserts. She hasn't done that (yet), so she is as supportive as she can personally be. I could fight her and push it and even walk away so I can "be honest with myself", but what kind of family man would I be then? Wouldn't that make me a selfish person? Using inserts is my compromise to wearing the heels I love while respecting her limits.

As far as the lifts you mentioned, while I haven't gotten any, I have looked them up online. From what I have been able to figure out, they appear to be little more than what I have done with stacking heel pads. The custom wood block seems to have worked great, but I wanted to try something else. As I said, I had a pair of ankle boots that had a small wedge heel (about 2 1/2 inches) and was easily removed. After cutting it out of the boot and using a heel pad over it, I was able to slide it into the Harley Davidson boot comfortably. The strap over the boot did cause it to dig into the top of my foot, but after removing the strap it doesn't dig in as much anymore. Over time I am thinking the boot will stretch a little. To give you an idea, the boots have about a 2 1/2 inch normally. With the insert they are now 5 inch. So from the outside they look like normal western boots, but from the inside it feels like I am wearing nice high heels. Win/win.

I am now thinking I can take the same inserts and put them in a regular man's boot and be able to walk around with say a 2 1/2 to 3 inch high heel. I know some of you will think that is going the reverse, but if there is anyone out there that just wants the feeling of a high heel but can't wear heels because of personal reasons, this could be the solution to your problems. Besides, as I said earlier, given my daughters growing up fast, I might have to soon switch over to only regular man's shoes. It's better to figure out a solution now than have to give up wearing heels when the time hits.

I will try to post some pictures so you can get a better idea.

Scotty

Scotty, I've never had any problem with anyone that wanted to wear inserts in their shoes to substitute for wearing high heels. Some men, and there are plenty of examples here, love to wear their heels openly exposed and haven't the slightest care about doing do. And, others, like me, whose aim is just wearing women's shoes -- it doesn't matter to me if they're 6" d'Orsay stiletto heel pumps or Penny Loafer style sports shoes with 2½"heels. If the only way you can satisfy your urge to wear heels is to place inserts into your everyday men's shoes, then go for it. It gives you the feeling that you're looking for, its good for you. While some might have a problem with equating inserts with "heels," that's their problem. And, for some that have never considered doing exactly what you do, it just might be the answer they're seeking.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

sscotty727, Thanks for your understanding, holding on to your ground, and giving me a reprieve. My situation is not all that different from yours, except I'm wearing stilettos and overcoming my fears while in public. Like you, I have tried a bunch of things trying to fit high heels into men's footwear to appease the situation and still fill the void. However, it was done by me without, at least, some of my wife's approval or knowledge most of the time. This secrecy put a wedge in our relationship, because she was excluded from something I gave a great deal of importance too. Marriage is suppose to be a totally committed relationship and I didn't in trying to satisfy my need to wear high heels. Being taught in society's perception of what men are, she began to think she was in competition for my affection with my need to wear heels. Although I really, really love her, in her mind, she became the mistress and I could not convince her otherwise. I hope this scenario is not your situation. I should have been more attentive to her and maybe the process to now would have turned out with a less contensive interim.

I won't lie and say everything is perfect, it's a day to day work at it thing. Her main issue with the heels is she says "I don't want to feel like I am a lesbian dating a woman". She wants a "manly man" (she likes the rugged look, not the clean shaven). To be honest, if she started dressing like a lumber jack with work boots, I wouldn't be too happy either. So I do my best to get my "fix" of heel wearing while trying to look discrete. Histiletto, I can try to take some pictures if you want to try to do the insert idea I mention. It doesn't have to be in man's shoes, matter of fact, I have never tried them inside a man's shoe. I actually think I might own a pair or two of actual man's shoes SOMEWHERE in the house. I am wearing more conservative women's shoes and boots with the inserts give me more height. And thanks Bubba for the kind words of support. Scotty

Thanks sscotty727, The pictures may be helpful for others who are seeking to be more descreet in wearing high heels, but my interest would only be to see what you have done. I wish there was a way to present to women a better vision than society has given us about men and who they are. Does your wife live up to all your expectations as a woman? If there is any difference, you could combine them with her expectations of men and how you differ from them in order to explain why you have the desire to wear high heels. Of course you may have already tried many approaches and this was one of them. It's only a suggestion anyway. I wish you the best for this New Year.

Thanks sscotty727,

The pictures may be helpful for others who are seeking to be more descreet in wearing high heels, but my interest would only be to see what you have done.

I wish there was a way to present to women a better vision than society has given us about men and who they are. Does your wife live up to all your expectations as a woman? If there is any difference, you could combine them with her expectations of men and how you differ from them in order to explain why you have the desire to wear high heels. Of course you may have already tried many approaches and this was one of them. It's only a suggestion anyway. I wish you the best for this New Year.

I will see what I can do about pictures.

As far as my wife goes, 46 years old, 20 years of marriage, she isn't going to change any more than I am suddenly going to stop wanting to wear heels. I think she might tolerate it more IF we didn't have children. I know the older they get the less tolerant she will be, so I am just thinking ahead of ways I can still wear heels while wearing less and less obvious shoes. I will probably eventually I will have to fall back into a man's shoe, although the ONLY times now that I wear a man's shoe is when I go to the doctor, and only when I know I will have to remove my shoes. The last dr visit I wore my boots with the inserts in.

Fortunately, my desire to wear heels isn't based on the way they look on the outside, I could give a fig if they look like stilletos or construction boots, as long as I get the feeling of a high heel while wearing them. As a matter of fact, it is kind of a thrill to know I am wearing heels and no one around me knows.

The biggest inconvienance is trying to find a woman's shoe that I can put inserts in while still being discrete. If I could wear an actual woman's high heel I could just wear them out of the box as made without worrying about making an insert. But again, for me, it isn't in the look of wearing the heel, it's in how they feel when I wear them.

Now as far as seeing a woman wearing high heels, that is completely different. My #1 preference is and always will be a nice stilleto heel, regardless if it is a pump, boot, or sandal. Nothing beats a woman wearing sexy heels.

Scotty

Well, today was the first day back after being on vacation the week before Christmas. I wore my boots with my new inserts for the first time to work. I wasn't sure how it would be (they put the boot at 5", I normally only wear up to about 3" at work), but I got around just fine. I must have managed just fine as no one made any comments. A good side effect of having the inserts is I can "lower" the heel at any time by simply changing to a lower insert. I did bring my old ones with me just in case, but I didn't need to change them out. The new ones are great.

Just finding this thread, I wanted to say sscotty, I know almost exactly where you are coming from. For work, I wear a harley davidson womens boot with only a 2 inch heel, they look very androgynous and can pass for mens, mostly. Inside those, I add a 2" lift, because I too like the feel of heels, and this makes me feel like I am wearing 4 inch heels all the time without feeling self conscious about them all day. While I am NOT at work I do wear more real looking high heels, but with around 4" or more, chunky style heels under long boot cut jeans. Also, most of my streetheels are rubber or rubber-like type heels, because of the noise that normal heels make I just dont want that extra attention. So I do my kind of heeling and its a bit more stealthy than some here, and it works for me, my job and my wife. I envy those that just go out full on heeling without a care in the world, I have done that a few times so far in my life, and it just is not worth it, I cant stop feeling self aware, I just can't relax about it and enjoy the moment, anyway, not exactly like your situation, but I know where you are coming from. cheers