Descrete Heels

sscotty727

hhboots, cool! I am glad to see someone out there is in a similiar situation as me. I would love to compare notes on lifts/inserts. The inserts I have in my boot now are 2.5", so both add up to 5". I wore them Sunday to the Kennedy Center to see a play. I also wore them the past two days to work with the inserts in them. jwhite44, not at all. Even when I used lifts in the heels shown in my avatar, the biggest issue was my heel coming out when I walked and my pants sliding into my shoes. As far as the boots go, the biggest issue I had was the strap digging into the top of my foot. Once I removed the straps, they feel fine. Here are the boots with the strap removed and the inserts in. As you can see, they don't look feminine at all (even though they are women's boots). The fourth picture shows where my heel is at in the boots. I will try to take some pics of the inserts later.

post-944-133522899805_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522899807_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522899809_thumb.jpg

post-944-13352289981_thumb.jpg

jwhite, not unstable at all. I think initially it took a while to adjust to it being in there, but I find boots that have both laces and zippers making them easily adjustable, I loosen the laces enough to make room for the lifts (and my foot), then make the boot tight again with knot that wont untie easily, then use the zipper to get in and out of the boot. An example of the boots i use are these: http://www.rockytopleather.com/products/womens-harley-davidson-boot-alysa.html

and the lifts I use are in the attached picture.

post-12379-133522899812_thumb.jpg

Ok, I took some pictures of the current inserts I am using in my boots.

First of all, here is a similiar boot I cut the heel out of (the ones I have are Riverdale Wedge Boots by Cloudwalker). They are very similiar, except the ones I had were zippered leather.

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Dakota-Ankle-Wedge-Boot-Wide-Width.aspx?PfId=179905&DeptId=20170&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

The first two pictures show the wedge I cut out of the boots. The third picture shows the wedge with the heel pad I used to cover the wedge. And lastly, you can get an idea of the extra added height by placing the wedge and pad on the outside of the boot.

The result is a nice 5" heel that look like a normal man's boot.

post-944-133522899813_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522899815_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522900059_thumb.jpg

post-944-13352290006_thumb.jpg

So you basically need a sacrifical pair of boots (preferrably wedge?) to get the lifts from? Interesting. I'm going to try to find something around the house to try to simulate a 1"+ lift in a pair of my boots, to see how they feel. For the boots you put them into, are they your regular size, or did you go up a size?

Oh btw the link to the Avenue wedges seems to be invalid. I did see them when I first read your post, but when I went back to look at it later, it was gone. They must have pulled the boots while I was online! I found this cached link, either people can reference it, or maybe you can download the picture from it, and attach it vs the link.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:vRDt3rnnFuUJ:www.avenue.com/womens/plus-size/815458384-dakota-ankle-wedge-boot-wide-width-plus-size-womens.html+avenue+dakota+boot&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Ahh, I didn't realize you were taking parts of a wedge heel boot to make your inserts. I must have glazed over that detail. I wouldnt have the heart to destroy a pair of shoes. :cry1: But anyway, pretty interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

So you basically need a sacrifical pair of boots (preferrably wedge?) to get the lifts from? Interesting. I'm going to try to find something around the house to try to simulate a 1"+ lift in a pair of my boots, to see how they feel. For the boots you put them into, are they your regular size, or did you go up a size?

Oh btw the link to the Avenue wedges seems to be invalid. I did see them when I first read your post, but when I went back to look at it later, it was gone. They must have pulled the boots while I was online! I found this cached link, either people can reference it, or maybe you can download the picture from it, and attach it vs the link.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:vRDt3rnnFuUJ:www.avenue.com/womens/plus-size/815458384-dakota-ankle-wedge-boot-wide-width-plus-size-womens.html+avenue+dakota+boot&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I've downloaded the pic and will attach it as you requested.

As far as sacrificing a pair of wedge boots, that wouldn't have been my first choice, however, I got them last year and my wife hated them on me, said they were too feminine. So I couldn't really wear them out. Or around the house much, so they just sat and collected dust. I was thinking of just giving them away, then I got an idea because the wedge was small enough that maybe I could cut them out and fit them into another shoe/boot. That idea just sat in my head until my Christmas vacation. Sitting around the house one evening, I decided to finally give it a try. Believe me, cutting them broke my heart as much as the next person, but I was curious to try the wedge. I won't lie, I had to cut and file and shape them a little to get them to where my foot fit fine. As I said, the top of my foot pressed tight into the front of the boot, so it hurt after a while. Removing the strap from the boots did wonders. There still is a little bit more it presses in, but I've found that adding something (not much) under the heel part lifts my foot up enough to where it angles more. Of course this also increases the height of the heel, so it gets a little harder to walk. I am hoping the boots stretch out a little more.

That brings me to your second question of the size. They are 11 which is the size I would wear in a woman's shoe. The reason is, I didn't try the wedge until AFTER I already had the boot. Maybe if I had a size bigger my foot wouldn't press into the front as much. I am not sure.

Also, to answer hhboots, I am talking about taking the wedge from another boot in this instance, but I have use other things to create wedges. More specifically, stacks of heel inserts was my first attempt. My other successful insert was to make a wedge insert out of an oval block of wood from the local craft store. I cut it in half and then sanded the front part down until it was a nice wedge shape (I know, a table saw would have been faster but I don't have one handy, so I just used sand paper and arm power). After I had the wedge to where I wanted it, I then stacked a few heel inserts on top of it to give it a more cushiny feeling.

Using the wedge from another boot was just an idea I thought I would try out, and so far it has worked well.

post-944-133522900062_thumb.jpg

... I wouldnt have the heart to destroy a pair of shoes..

Semi-related story. I started looking on ebay for a pair of chunky heel shoes or boots which I might be able remove the heel from, and install them on a pair of size 13 boots I have, which has a heel I hate. I sent the ebay seller an email asking for some specific heel measurements. She actually did respond with the measurements to me (I'm still working with her), but updated one of her auctions with, "... a guy is inquiring about these boots so he can tear them apart. If you (public) really want them, act on them now!" We teased each other back and forth on it.

I was cleaning out the links on my browser and happened to come across this one. I found them on Ebay and was going to see if I could convince the wife to let me get them, but then financial contraints had me put it off. She doesn't this kind of toe on me anyway, so I doubt she would have approved. But, I love the fact they have a hidden heel, even if it is only 2". Maybe one of you could find these and benefit from them.

As the auction is LONG over, I took some pics from the listing to share. Incase it still works, here is the actual link. Maybe you can contact the seller and ask if they still have the style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-Buckle-Link-Cuffed-Hidden-Wedge-Ankle-Bootie-11_W0QQitemZ280421575929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women_s_Shoes?hash=item414a6dacf9

post-944-133522900095_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522900097_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522900098_thumb.jpg

post-944-1335229001_thumb.jpg

post-944-133522900103_thumb.jpg

So what was her first reaction when you first told her you wanted to buy them to rip them apart? Did you look at the local charity shop to see if they had any shoes you could use?

Her first response was to provide the measurements I requested. It was only when I was looking at one of the auctions did I see her recent additions!

If I get the shoes from ebay, they're not that expensive: $10 for the shoes, $10 for shipping. I guess they'd probably be cheaper at a thrift store. But then I'm not sure I want to go around to multiple thrift stores, on a regular basis. Ebay is so much easier. It's not perfect - another seller didn't want to give me the heel measurements, so they're probably out of contention (whereas in a thrift store, I'd be able to take any measurements I want).

It might be useful to at least stop at a neighbor thrift store or two, to see what type of merchandise they sell.

I was cleaning out the links on my browser and happened to come across this one. I found them on Ebay and was going to see if I could convince the wife to let me get them, but then financial contraints had me put it off. She doesn't this kind of toe on me anyway, so I doubt she would have approved. But, I love the fact they have a hidden heel, even if it is only 2". Maybe one of you could find these and benefit from them.

As the auction is LONG over, I took some pics from the listing to share. Incase it still works, here is the actual link. Maybe you can contact the seller and ask if they still have the style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-Buckle-Link-Cuffed-Hidden-Wedge-Ankle-Bootie-11_W0QQitemZ280421575929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women_s_Shoes?hash=item414a6dacf9

I don't believe it would be the toes that she would object to, I would think it would be the straps.. There are just to many of them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

... I'm going to try to find something around the house to try to simulate a 1"+ lift in a pair of my boots..

I tried this with my 2 1/2" ankle boots. No go. Once I (side) zip them, they basically encapsulate my entire foot. They aren't cutting off my circulation, but even a heavier pair of socks makes them tigher. Definitely no room to start 1"-2" of material underneath my foot.

I'm thinking you might only be able to do this with a pair of non-zip boots. In that case, since the boot opering would need to be big enough to both insert your foot (vertically), then have enough room to shift it horizontally, there has to be that extra room which would allow to insert some material underneath your heel. Not sure I see a pair of high-shaft boots in my future...

I don't believe it would be the toes that she would object to, I would think it would be the straps.. There are just to many of them.

I've had some boots with staps on them (although not as many) and pants cover the straps. The ones I cut up had similiar toes and she said "too feminine", so I know she probably would object to them.

I tried this with my 2 1/2" ankle boots. No go. Once I (side) zip them, they basically encapsulate my entire foot. They aren't cutting off my circulation, but even a heavier pair of socks makes them tigher. Definitely no room to start 1"-2" of material underneath my foot.

I'm thinking you might only be able to do this with a pair of non-zip boots. In that case, since the boot opering would need to be big enough to both insert your foot (vertically), then have enough room to shift it horizontally, there has to be that extra room which would allow to insert some material underneath your heel. Not sure I see a pair of high-shaft boots in my future...

I've used inserts in zippered boots, but not as high as the ones I just made. You have to use stacks of heel pads for that. I've actually used the normal heel pads, cut some off the front (almost half way) and then stack them. The final layer has a longer heel pad.

Here is another suggestion. From trial and error with my new inserts, I found that adding something (I finally settled on a folded heel pad) under the heel part lifted the back of the heel enough to angle my foot more so the top of my foot doesn't press against the top of the boot. It also isn't that high so I am able to walk better.

In addition, I have a pair of brown boots similiar to the black boots, except they fit tighter. I am not able to use the new inserts in them as I can't fit my foot in and around the insert. So I tried to use my old wooden insert in them, which are shorter. Again, by adding something underneath I was able to angle it a bit more and they fit perfect (and they even felt snug with no inserts at all in them). I will probably wear these out today with blue jeans.

What I have found is sometimes you can make the angle steeper which #1 adds to the heel feeling and #2 by angling your foot more, it doesn't press against the front of the shoe/boot as much. Of course you will need to determine if you need to remove some of the height, etc.

If you try this, please let me know how it works for you.

Good luck,

Scotty

Are you doing this on straight leg boots, or ones that zip? I think the reason for the zipper to begin with is that they are meant to be form fitting (so tight that you can't just slip your feet into them).

The ones I have now I am using in slip on boots. I have used the wood ones in zippered boots though. Maybe you should start with that and you can cut or file as much off the wood as you need.

The best way I know is to go to the local craft store and get one of those oval wood pieces. If you cut it in half, you should have two inserts you can work with. I have found putting the tapered side on the bottom works great.

I used to have pics of the process I posed on here before, but that was a few years ago. I can try to see if I have the pics somewhere.

As there doesn't seem to be alot of interest in this topic, I will let it go. However, if anyone needs any help or suggestings making inserts, please feel free to update the topic or contact me directly. I will be happy to help out anyway I can. Scotty

Maybe this might be a better option than trying to find a pair of wedges and tear them apart:

http://www.tallmenshoes.com/elevatorinsole.html

I'm sure if you wanted to get creative, you could try to stack some of the lifts for more than a 2" increase.

They also have shoes that make you up to 4" taller, and boots for 5.2" taller. I'm sure that's the "heel" hight; it's unclear from the photos or description how hight the "platform" height is.

Maybe this might be a better option than trying to find a pair of wedges and tear them apart:

I'm sure if you wanted to get creative, you could try to stack some of the lifts for more than a 2" increase.

They also have shoes that make you up to 4" taller, and boots for 5.2" taller. I'm sure that's the "heel" hight; it's unclear from the photos or description how hight the "platform" height is.

Wow, that is cool. I bookmarked it and will see about getting some when I get some money. Back when I first started making them I couldn't find anything like it.

Actually, I went back to my wooden inserts for my boots. The other ones were causing my feet to press into the top of my boot and I had serious deep redmarks on the top of my foot that got numb. Scared me enough to pull them out. I will save them for either boots that are bigger or shoes that stretch better.

Thanks again for the find. I will let you know if I try them.

• 3 weeks later...

As I stated in another thread, my sister-in-law is getting married in October. Fortunately, I don't have to be in the wedding party, however, my wife is the maid of honor, my oldest daughter will be a bridesmaid, and my 2 youngest girls will be flower girls. As a result, I will have enough attention on me just being around them. I am thinking, this is not a day where I need to draw attention away from them to me, so I might try ordering a pair of the shoes from that website. Maybe while I am at it I will pick up one of the inserts too and let you know how it compares to my inserts.

Again, thank you for the link, it will be very helpful.