Shoe Fitting

keels

I often wear shoes rather than boots, I like the feel of them. I have noticed though that although my shoes feel as though they are a good fit, every so often my heel slips out of a shoe as I am walking. I feel that if I went down half a size they would be too uncomfortable. I have lost a shoe once, I just walked out of it. Any suggestions?

I often wear shoes rather than boots, I like the feel of them. I have noticed though that although my shoes feel as though they are a good fit, every so often my heel slips out of a shoe as I am walking. I feel that if I went down half a size they would be too uncomfortable. I have lost a shoe once, I just walked out of it. Any suggestions?

This problem is common with most slip on style shoes. Most pump style shoes have stiffening material sewed around the back of the heel from one side to the other. This material is formed around your heel and bent in toward your ankle bone to give the heels a tighter grip on your feet, thus keeping them from slipping off when you take a step.

As the shoes get older and become worn, the material that holds the heels snug to your foot becomes stretched (sideways), loosing it's gripping properties and thus the shoes don't stay on quite as well as they did when they were new. Stretching can also occur if someone else wears your shoes.

A good cobbler can, without any problem, sew "heel grips" to the back of the shoes to help prevent them from slipping off with each step. There are also you can purchase "heel grips" at some department stores. They're little pieces of material (leather) that have self-stick glue on them that you can press into place, yourself.

Other than that, getting a smaller size won't eliminate this problem. And, according to many of the cobblers I've talked with, never press the sides back toward the center in an attempt to tighten them up again because the bending action just tends to loosen them that much more.

Now then, this information is based on what I've personally experienced and what I've been told.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

Keels,

You could try mary janes, heels with an ankle strap, clogs, loafers, and oxfords. If you're limiting yourself to traditional pumps or court shoes, though, I have no other suggestions.

Steve

I agree with Steve. If you enjoy wearing pumps, try to find a pair with ankle straps. I have a pair and they feel so secure on my feet. And you even feel a little more confident walking in them.

Hi Keels, if you are wearing stockings try going bare legged because stockings cause a lot of slip. Try a footbed cushion under the ball of your foot because these reduce your foot sliding down the shoe towards the toe and give some extra padding, I find these hold my heel back better- esp with very high shoes. Maybe make sure you aren't walking too fast or taking too long a step because that can cause you to step out of pumps. (And of course I assume you are very careful to put your shoes on and off correctly to preserve the heel support) Other than that if you want the clean lines of a pump-style shoe (no straps) then I can't think of anything else... good luck Heel-Lover