Man on TV in heels.

Bubba136

One evening last week, I was sitting in our family room reading the latest "Consumer Report" with the TV playing in the background. My wife had been watching a program on one of the cable channels that was long over. In my sub-conscience, I heard the words "and he wears high heels" which got my attention. I looked over at the television set and watched a segment on one of the "fashion" programs where the woman model was looking for a wig to wear with the dress she was previewing at a forthcoming fashion show. And, It seemed that the "guy" she was going to purchase the wig from was coming to her house to show her a selection that he thought would be good for the purpose. And, she mentioned that this man, in addition to his unorthodox fashion choices, also wore heels, when she was tellling the producer about the wig salesman's profile. Sure enough, the next scene was of the Wig man walking up to the model's front door.....full length shot complete with the guy wearing 3" pumps. Advance the scene through the sequence of her greeting him, their walking to the backyard to sit by the pool. where the Wig man begin to show the selection of wigs he had brought with him. The rest of the segment focused on the model trying on the wigs and the salesman extolling the virtues of each, helping the model make her selection. The camera shots showed close-up and wide area shots of the transaction. The wig man never tried to hide his shoes and even got up and walked around to help the model several times. The model selected a couple of wigs and the wig man packed up his wares, went through the hugs and kisses routine and departed....all the while the camera -- complete with heel shots -- followed his departure from the house. First of all, the way the wig man was dressed reminded me of some of the fashion shots that Kneehighs has posted here. You know, ladies blouses, neck scarves, etc. The wig man was wearing a mix of male and female clothing, jewelry and make-up. While I didn't find anything "strange" about his dress (given the fact that I am a member here) I found his total appearance very distasteful. Short, very obese and unsightly unkempt curly hair. His shoes were very "girlie" with little chain ornaments across the vamp and 3" not-stiletto heels. Kinda like the career shoes a woman would wear to the office. He was so top heavy and his feet so small in proportion, that he looked unbelievably unbalanced. As the show ended, the thought that ran through my mind was that this particular individual was indeed "strange" and didn't do anything positive to advance the cause of "men in heels." And, if ever a person -- male or female -- ever had a huge excuse for not wearing "girlie" shoes, he was the poster person. In fact, I couldn't envision anything male or female, that he might wear that would make him look good. My comments about my impressions of him are strictly confined to his appearance. He might be a wonderful person behind the appearance. However, I am just commenting on the way he looked....and, if I look that bad while in heels, I would never appear in public wearing a pair ever again.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

You'll get no disagreement from this post. It is harder for obese people, men and women, to look their best wearing stilettos. When I get a little over weight, the bulge of my mid section defeats any improvement the stilettos may bring to my over all appearance. Another problem I have with males in heels are the ones who ham up the stereotypical feminine traits, such as gesters, voice inflections, struts, expressions, and etc. Of course, if those traits are really the personality coming through then it should look more natural then the over-exagerated actions I've seen in most of the television appearances of some guys. Also, I am not them, so what do I know? It's still annoying to me, but should I learn the truth about their annoyances, I could temper the effect their character has on me.

before i reply let me just say that my opinion is a reflection of what I feel about myself and not of either of Bubba or Histiletto.... i found myself having the same feelings about seeing other male wearing heels, be it as a straight male or camp up with felame attributes etc.... and this feeling is hard to explain, is it of disgust? jealousy (that they can wear heels in public and I can't)? there is something about it that i don't think i like but at the same time i hate that i feel like this because at the core of it, i want to be able to wear what they are wearing in public without other people thinking/feeling the same way...... personally, i love wearing heels, i love wearing clothing items that have a little feminie edge to it, yet in general i'm not sure if i' comfortable if i see other doing so..... i guess histiletto is probably right, it probably about wearing things that is appropriate to the body shape of each individual and not forcing a stlye onto something that doesn't look right (an overweight women wearing tight short fitting clothing and stilettos is not a good look either).... but isn't it hypocritical for me to judge that woman wearing items of clothing that they enjoy or judging another male wearing clothing more feminie than my liking... as it is really no different for someone disliking seeing me wearing heels in public..... there's no answers in this post... just a constant thought that i have in my head trying to force myself to be more open minded and trying to understand why other people may judge me when i walk out in public wearing heels..... i just find it hard to "expect" people to accept me breaking the "society accepted" clothing styles when i find it a challenge myself to accept other people doing so.....

Well i have been watching housewives of atlanta and saw two obviously gay men wearing heels. This is not a slight against gay men at all. They did wear very feminine attire like off the shoulder tops and tight leggings. I personally feel it this image gets to more outlets it would be more acceptable. Of course you should wear things that fit you but is this not the ultimate goal to be able to go out in public and wear what we want tastefully? Let's wait and see.

I hope that my wife asks me if i'm giong to wear those 4 inch leg wrap sandals that i bought from NIKE. Just a wish for the men in the world like us.

Howdy, I have to say that I really parallel what I believe aussieheels1 is saying. Frankly I have no desire to wear less famine shoes than four-inch stiletto pumps or five-inch platform wedges if I could find a pair in my size. Going out in heels that resemble a men’s wear style would be beside the point and a waste of time for me. The problem is that going out in a black polo shirt, khaki dress shorts, and my four-inch black pumps would probably be stylishly ridiculous as I also have no desire to wear more feminine clothing. Add to that I have a couple extra pounds to lose. And as aussieheels1 says, if I saw another guy wearing that I would be both somewhat disgusted and incredibly jealous. This is the internal conflict that I go through. Recently a gentleman posted (I don't recall exactly who) that he wore red high heel wedges very visibly into Pep Boys and the Home Depot. I think that is great and I support him 100% and after reading it I was nearly energized enough to go do it myself. Then, I read a thread like this that reminds me of just how poorly judged I could be by doing it and I lose a great deal of that energy. So the conflict inside goes from "to heck with what other people think I can do this" to "wow, glad I didn't do it." And when "glad I didn't do it" surfaces I find myself feeling stuck to heeling it in the house wondering if there will ever be a time where I can where my heels out and about. Does anybody else feel this way? Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

By no means; whoever wears what is up to them. I have been out many times in 4" stilettos; boots, sandals, pumps or other heels/boots/heights. And I am relatively thin, so that helps with the appearance and I also coordinate the pants, tops etc. to go with them.

Now, some folks here might think that I look good / don't look good depending upon your point of view. Remember, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder only.

But I personally have issues that there are "guys that don't like other guys in heels." To me, this makes no sense whatsoever!

It's all about the heel!

I need to clarify how I feel. I absolutely support any guy wearing heels out and about and I want to do it myself however I do get an initial, "oh my," reaction that I choose to disregard. But it is this initial reaction (which is very difficult to describe) combined with the posts that I read that say that if you are going to do this you that it is in your best interst to wear wider lower men's style heels that have lead to a state of inner conflict that keeps me stagnant in my high heeling experience. I want to move forward get to a place of confidence to where I can wear what I want out however whenever I read a post that says that we need to be more conservative about it that I loose all my steam. Please know that I am not saying that I don't like guys in heels. My sentiments are quite contrary. I am saying that I get a reaction that I intend to change in me and I think it is my fear of that reaction in others that keeps me stagnant. I really hope that I did not offend anybody with my post about my reaction and if I did I appologize. My purpose of posting is to get what comes up for me out so that maybe I can see a better perspective and find support for getting there. Larry

But I personally have issues that there are "guys that don't like other guys in heels." To me, this makes no sense whatsoever!

Did I really say that I have a problem with "other guys in heels?" Hmm, let me re-read what I wrote. Brb.

Here's what I wrote:

As the show ended, the thought that ran through my mind was that this particular individual was indeed "strange" and didn't do anything positive to advance the cause of "men in heels." And, if ever a person -- male or female -- ever had a huge excuse for not wearing "girlie" shoes, he was the poster person. In fact, I couldn't envision anything male or female, that he might wear that would make him look good.

My comments about my impressions of him are strictly confined to his appearance. He might be a wonderful person behind the appearance. However, I am just commenting on the way he looked....and, if I look that bad while in heels, I would never appear in public wearing a pair ever again." [/unquote]

Firstly, I don't have a problem with ever seeing another male wearing high heels. However, lets be clear, being totally tasteless is another fig leaf all together. If you want to appear in public slam-jam naked, that's your business. However, if you don't have the body ideal for "sharing" then be prepared to take the arrows that accompanies being "ugly." Actions have consequences....and consequences provoke action.

If you think that combing your hair using a hand mixer is appropriate for the look you are "going for," knock yourself out. However, don't expect me to "ohhhhhh and ahhhhh" over your lack of taste and congratulate you for your courage to wear a "new look."

If your body odor is so unpleasant that the even the hogs won't come close to you, then, it's time you did something about it.

GET THE MESSAGE!!! It doesn't matter what you believe or think. It's the way you act because you have an obligation to your fellow man not to be so grotesque; repelling, repugnant, repulsive' unattractive, uninviting, unpleasing and just down-right bizarre that your interacting with other human beings is impossible.

Now, the guy I am talking about looked so uncomfortable that I actually "felt" sorry for him. No human has to be that uncomfortable. It's bad for longevity.

So, while you might think that I have a problem with other men wearing high heels, that's not the case. I have problems with people that are so self-absorbed that they believe they can behave in any manner they choose without fearing any consequences.

Good manners isn't to "turn the other cheek" and act like the weirdo is acceptable, good manners is to tell the SOB to take a bath, put on some clean clothes and, after he shaves and gets a hair cut, to rejoin the human race. And that my friend, is strictly my opinion.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I really hope that I did not offend anybody with my post about my reaction and if I did I appologize. My purpose of posting is to get what comes up for me out so that maybe I can see a better perspective and find support for getting there. Larry

What in S--T is a matter with you people. Who the hell cares if you "offend" anyone else when stating your opinion? If someone takes offense at you for your thoughts, beliefs and convictions, that's their problem. They have the opportunity to state their disagreement with you and present their own opinion. But it's not something they should become so irate at/with that it calls for knives and pistols at dawn in the foggy park.

Honestly, the whole society has become a bunch of wimps.. Afraid to "offend" someone because who are you/we/us to judge. Who the hell says raping little girls is "bad"? If that's what someone wants to do, then who are we to judge him for his actions?

This whole attitude is a bunch of fuzzy headed liberal tripe. Get a grip for gods sake!

Bubba, I was with you until the raping little girls comment. That is bad, and if anyone does that, they should be judged, because without lines being drawn somewhere, we have no civility at all. I don't get your comment there. In fact, forcing oneself on anyone, be them young or not, is what I would consider a "judgable" offense. Geeze, I hope I misunderstood what you were trying to say there.

Bubba, I was with you until the raping little girls comment. That is bad, and if anyone does that, they should be judged, because without lines being drawn somewhere, we have no civility at all. I don't get your comment there. In fact, forcing oneself on anyone, be them young or not, is what I would consider a "judgable" offense. Geeze, I hope I misunderstood what you were trying to say there.

You can not withhold judgment on one set of "wrongs" and pass judgment on other sets. You either uphold moral equivalents on all things "bad or wrong" or withhold them altogether. There's no middle ground. No gray area. Things are either wrong or they're not.

Besides, the little girls part was just an analogy (might be a bad one, though) illustrating the most extreme borders involved with not being judgmental.

Wow, there is some serious energy in this thread. Coming down to opinion, not a single one of us guys that are willing to walk around in high heels have any business telling any oddball to shape up. Seriously we are wearing high heels. How could we tell anyone that their particular uniquness is unacceptable. And that is my opinion. Larry

AZShoeNut - i think we have the same line of thought..... it's more an internal conflict of whether we can personally walk out in public in high heels with enough confidence to pull it of or enjoy it.....

call me shallow or have low self esteem but how the world around me preceive and look at me is important to me (as it impact my life and those around me).... sure wearing high heels in public won't be the end of world, but it will change the world i am in atm... am i prepare for the fallout of it is the question...... even if it only have a very small impact, it is still a decision each person have to make themselves....

that's the thing..... i don't get it either.... i'm a male, i love wearing heels and i love this forum where i can talk about this.... yet, to be brutally honest, my first thought of seeing another male wearing heels is not one of embracement.... like AZShoeNut said, I'll turn this feeling around very quickly after rationalising it in my head that I'm simply trying to get to the same point as this other person... but this first reaction that i have is probably one of the main thing that is holding me going out in public wearing heels all the time as I feel that's the reaction people will have (if I myself can't accept it).....

not all of us are as confident/extroverted/flamboyent as each other... i'm sure there are lots of female that will not wear a certain type of heels (or clothing) because it is associated with certain images (eg look like a postitute) even though they may really want to wear them..... and this is about wearing clothing that are design for their gender.....

In reply to all of this, I think that we have gone past where this discussion should be. I am a very tolerant individual and maybe I bend over backwards to do this and will bring up short non-tolerant individuals that I am familiar with.

With that said, certainly most of the people that I know would likely have some kind of issues with "men in heels," including me. Therefore, I confine my heeling to out of town where I do not have these issues. Also, my wife would certainly have issues with the public heeling, so it's don't ask, don't tell for that.

Now this person on TV may have been slovenly or dressed in some other odd way. But we see these "odd" people every single day in many ways; strange haircuts, strange hair color and we can go on and on. But if there is some kind of gut reaction or feeling, then we really have to look at ourselves, closely, and see how we feel about the "men in heels" thing.

That's my opinion and only my opinion; everyone else on this site is entitled to theirs.

It's all about the heel!

I am a very tolerant individual and maybe I bend over backwards to do this and will bring up short non-tolerant individuals that I am familiar with.

Hmm, I applaud you for being so "tolerant. That's great. But, I am also "tolerant." But I see the difference between us as I haven't any over-riding desire to "bring up short" anyone that I "feel" isn't as as "tolerant" as me. Everyone's degree of tolerance is up to them and none of my business. Granted, I get to disagree with them, should that be the case. However, anyone that tries to "bring me up short" is going to get a whole lot more resistance than they really want to deal with.

Now this person on TV may have been slovenly or dressed in some other odd way. But we see these "odd" people every single day in many ways; strange haircuts, strange hair color and we can go on and on. But if there is some kind of gut reaction or feeling, then we really have to look at ourselves, closely, and see how we feel about the "men in heels" thing.

My reply to this is that I really don't have any heartburn with a man appearing in public wearing high heels or any other item of female apparel as I have been wearing my "girls shoes" in public for more than 4 decades. As with you, the problem is that occasionally I see something so revolting that it just sets me off. And, as you say" "That's my opinion and only my opinion; everyone else on this site is entitled to theirs.

"

And that's all I have to say on this subject, too. :-)