Disparity in Shoe Sizing

STEFFY

I apologize if this subject has been posted before. One thing which drives me crazy with shoes is the disparity in the sizing. I wear a size 12 and have experienced the disappointment of so called size 12's that were too big or too small. Apparently the Chinese sizing for North American shoes runs small which is annoying because if it isn't a full size then perhaps it should be labeled as a half size below it? Add to this whole dilemma the international mix of differing sizing methods and you have set the stage for all the confusion that is apparent when we buy shoes. I sure wish that the world shoe makers would adopt and use ONE standard of measurement world wide with a way to indicate if the sizing varies from the the standard such as a plus sign for slightly larger than the size, or a negative sign if slightly smaller. Width is something that also seems to be no longer considered. We don't all have narrow feet. If anyone in the industry is listening.... perhaps this might be an idea worth adopting? STEFFY

Greatings Steffy and welcome to this forum (from another Canadian :-)

I agree with you about the disparity in shoes sizing.

Unfortunately, I guess these is not much we can do about it.

In the meantime, please take a look at the sizing chart below.

I hope it will help you (If you don't have it already)...

post-14338-133522890494_thumb.jpg

Fit is also effected by the shape and style of the shoes and also the materials. A round toe has a larger area to fit the toe, and the almond toe is somewhat more confining, but the pointed toe leaves the least room for the toes. Therefore the pointed toe needs to be at least one size larger than the other two shapes. The higher the heel may also be a factor in finding the right fit. Some materials stretch easier than others. Another factor could be the swelling of the feet per the time of day or the activity prior to trying on the shoes to discover the sizing of the shoes you may need. Some people have foot adnormalities and personal perspectives that have to be part of their consideration in choosing their footwear. I don't care for the shape of my toes to show so I stay with the closed toe designs.

Steffy, the perenial problem. Standards are great, but there are just so many of them. This has been a frustration for all since way back when, and I would hate to think of the number of shoes bought over the internet only o find they don't fit quite as expected. Sadly there will never be a resolution to this and it is only experience that will guide you to know various manufacturers idea of what constitutes a size 12. Pleaser is a perfect example as the difference between 12 and 13 is just massive. Perhaps it is the point at which they change from a slimmer female foot last to the wider male last. Italian shoes run small/narrow too. My Archie Eyebrows shoes shown in my avatar are Italian made and I have to go upto a EU45 to get a comfortable fit, whereas I can usually wear an EU43 - go figure. I feel your pain, as do we all. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

What everyone says is quite true and you will find that within a particular brand there will be fit problems. The same holds true within a particular manufacturers line. There will never be a standardization in womens or mens shoe sizing world wide. We all have to put up with it and have had to since day one. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Thank you to all who responded. It is a bit of a mine field at best and particularly if as others point out, buying over the internet. With anything that requires a specific fit I like to try the item (or in this case shoes) on to see and feel if they actually fit. Another tip I can pass on is to measure your foot on a measuring rack so you know your exact foot size in either Male or Female size. You might be surprised to find the size you THOUGHT you were is not the case! Cheers, STEFFY

Steffy:-) I have noticed lately that the shoe foot size measurer, or whatever it is called, is blatantly absent from the shoe sales area. It used to be that you saw more than one laying around the seats that are used for the fitting area. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

agree, a size 8, is not always a size 8, even thought the label says it is!! sometimes its more like a nine, have such a pair, and sometimes closer to a 7, dont have any of those!! hence my apprehension of ordering over the net, and have had my eye on a specific pleaser shoe (maybe a bit more the just one pair) sadly no proper industry standard, even if they say there is!! or maybe poor quality control!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Like HiStiletto points out fit is determined by materials and toe design. A good friend of mine sells shoes in Chicago at a neighborhood shoe store called Skyscraperheels that is extremely GLBT-friendly so lots of heel-lovers in the Midwest will know the place. What I have gleaned from him over the years is that size can also differ from one brand to another or whether the shoe is US-made or not. Another thread talked about whether or not to try on heels in the store. I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying on any heels you buy in the store to ensure proper fit. This is what makes going to my friend's store so satisfying. Whether you go to Target, which always has shoes into the US11 range, or DSW, or Bakers, I always try them on. If ordering on the Internet you have to already be familiar with a certain brand and know what you're getting so you order with confidence knowing it will fit well. My ideal girl's size is US11 but have found a US12 better in some styles and, very recently, found that a US10 wedge sandal by Soda Shoes fit me OK. The other aspect to consider is by trying on shoes in stores, if you're seen then you're seen. Three things could and should come from this; 1-A salesperson sees you and makes a sale, 2-You, the ever-shy male consumer of women's shoes come out from the shadows and become the newly-liberated shopper and 3-The generla public comes to accept seeing men in heels.