Stretching my wedding shoes

It's been a long and arduous journey but I have finally found fabulous wedding shoes that are absolutely perfect. Perfect aside from the size ;) I tried the shoe in the size I usually wear heels and it was just too big. Not dramatically but it kept slipping off my heel... not very good for dancing. I tried one size smaller and it fit, it was just veeery tight in the front and crushed my toes quite a bit. I figured it's leather and I could make it work as a pair of shoes like this wouldn't come along again. I read up on the internet on a few different ways one could stretch shoes. The best tip is going to a cobbler and having them stretch them but I'm in South Africa so finding a cobbler (a proper one) isn't an easy task. I'm also struggling to find spray on product I can trust. And ordering it from another country might take a while. I read on the internet somewhere that you could fill zip lock bags up with water and put them in your shoes. You then put the shoes in the freezer and the water will expand when it freezes and stretch the shoe. I do however feel a bit uncomfortable with putting my very expensive very lovely wedding shoes in the freezer and have them get all wet and frozen. Am I being overprotective of my new babies or will they survive a trip to the freezer?

If they're leather one of the best ways to get them to stretch and broken in is to wear them. Hiwever there is a better way: Get a plank of wood about 1cm thick and draw round your foot then cut it out. You then saw it into three portions of approximatly equal length then you join the pieces together with hinges. The middle to toe joint should be with the hinge on top and the middle to heel portion with the hinge on the bottom so your stretcher mimics the way the foot flexes. Insert into your shoe and leave for a few days. It does help to cut out slightly bigger in the tight areas but not a lot bigger, only a couple of mm at most.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The freezer thing won't work. If it did then all cobblers would have a blast freezer in their shop! Either buy or make the stretchers Dr. Shoe suggested. My girlfriend puts on thick socks and wears the shoes in the house all evening. Or she gets me to wear them as I have slightly wider feet than her. Thanks, Ben

Or! take them back get the larger size & pack the toe with cotton wool to help raise the foot to stop them slipping on the back. For one days wear you might find it easier to make a pair smaller than trying to stretch them to make them bigger. If its a hot day & your on your feet all day & dancing then the chances are your feet will swell anyway. And congratulations ;) enjoy your big day. Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/uk/women/heels/pointed-toe/73512242-woline/17

I'll start wearing them around the house to break them in and then try that stretcher if I can't find a cobbler.

I really like the shoes you chose. I think they'll go very well with a white wedding dress. I also think your idea of wearing them around your house for a couple of days, with a pair of thick socks, will stretch them nicely for you. :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 month later...

http://www.aldoshoes.com/uk/women/heels/pointed-toe/73512242-woline/17

These are the shoes. What do you think?

I did try the bigger size with heelgrips and padding but the heel still slipped off a bit when walking... and we'll be dancing.

I'll start wearing them around the house to break them in and then try that stretcher if I can't find a cobbler.

Trixi, those shoes would look so well with most wedding dresses. I'm curious if you have found a solution to your dilemma. My wife is having the exact same problem with a pair of black stiletto pumps. Just wondering what solution you found worked or if anyone else have any suggestions.