Credo

Tidying up, I found a newspaper clipping....

From the Julie Burchill column, Daily Mail 1st May 1988:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week I received a letter from a disabled RAF officer which congratulated me on my long and lonely stand against the sanitisation of modern life.

He wrote: 'I didn't fight the war to live in a world where the caffeine is taken out of coffee, the lust taken out of sex and the danger out of living.'

Those words should be hung in every classroom, kitchen and doctor's waiting room in the country. Most of all, they should be hung in every politician's office, where the smug and ionised atmosphere might benefit from the words of someone who has been close to death to know that life without risk is worse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..... and from teletext last night....

In this world, I would rather live 2 days like a tiger, than 200 years like a sheep. Tipu Sultan

Xa

That old Ace said it all Xaphod! There are so many bland sheeple out there.... most all of them overcome by political correctness. What ever happened to their sense of adventure and daring do?

I know we can all get caught up in the mundane grind of day to day life but to stumble into the pit of personal stagnation is unthinkable.

We all know the "Life is like a box of chocolates" deal, but life is also like a toilet roll...the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

One things for sure, life's short, so live it. Is it not that dificult for us to exit our comfort zones and be just a little daring.

So folks,smoke that Cuban cigar, wear those stiletto's in public and for goodness sake, put the caffine back in your coffee........

Rock on.

jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I might add a bit more.... The soul is dyed the color of your thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way. Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody expects of you. Never excuse yourself. Never pity yourself. Be a hard master to yourself - and be lenient towards everybody else.

You know Jim you are a truly beautiful person I bet your soul is made up of the colours of a rainbow :D:wink:

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody else expects of you. Never excuse yourself. Never pity yourself. Be a hard master to yourself - and be lenient towards everybody else.

These are wise words indeed. I fully agree. This puts into words a lot of how I try to be. I especially like the last sentence about being a hard master to yourself and lenient towards others - it's how I try and live, especially with the children around!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

The only problem of holding yourself to higher standards is that so many others will never reach those, and never appreciate all that you do to be the best you can be. That is the situation with my recent employer. Three years of hard work and knowing everything, of working hard enough for two or three regular employees, and now it is a fight for money at the end. Corporate attitudes are evil. They make employees into numbers and look at cutting costs to impress potential investors. Small companies can get to know you, and thus, you become a person. This fast food materialistic version of capitolism is awful. The old way was so much better, where everyone could join in with their small companies, stand a chance, and actually provide great service. Now, we go with the mega company to try and save money because everything has spun so out of control. And in the end, we become numbers. Sheep. Worthless organ doners to the elite. Chris calls it the sad state of reality, but I think I have to keep fighting it. He works so hard, even when moving the last of my things to Edmonton. He just goes, gets it done, and gets it done right. It's impressive. But in a money before people society, I will value that so much more than his employers ever will. Still, I like his attitude. Play to win. Go all out and take it to the net, and just win. And I hope he feels that he has. :wink: As for me, I think if I had a personal motto, it would be "fight for justice, equality, and happiness, until you breathe your last if you must. Nothing is worth lying down and just accepting because it seems too difficult to achieve. Fight, and you'll make your life, and the world, much better than you ever dreamed."

Yeah, Laurie, I know what you mean. I find there's a certain quiet pride in being under-appreciated, tho', if only because when you quit, your EPMs suddenly find that they have a much bigger problem than they thought! But I'm lucky in that my manager and my Technical Director know what I do, and appreciate me both for who I am and for what I do. All I need to do is convince the other 998 people we employ now :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I'm thinking that I may go work for my old emplyer's competition, if they'll hyave me. What better way to stick it to them than to hit them in the bank account by helping someone else do better. Heck, I may not even think any of the competitors have better service, but I'd lie just to teach a good lesson to an uncaring corporate giant. Okay, please don't follow my lead on this, Justice and equality at any price can be contradictory. I am bitter, so I can get away with it.

Sweet revenge. Isn't that the old saying? I don't believe your motivation from seeking revenge would be any geater than your desire to give a honest days hard work for a day's pay. Doing your best and having the satisfaction of knowing that your former employer is missing out on your performance and expertise sometimes is all the revenge one needs.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, for all my friends left behind under the oppressive fist of that company's leadership, I wish to free them and allow them to have better work lives. My revenge wil be to do my best for a company I like, but if it hurts those bloated VPs who need to be fired instead of making 6K a month (after tax) then all the better. Taking a stand may require aggressive actions. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

My brother used to regularly tell me that we have one mouth and two ears, and should use them in that ratio. Repeatedly. Most times I spoke to him. The irony has just suddenly struck me :wink:

...Heck, I may not even think any of the competitors have better service, but I'd lie just to teach a good lesson to an uncaring corporate giant...

If that corporate giant is as uncaring as you say, then they would not care who they hurt, including the innocent customers. If you resort to lying to deal with your bitterness, wouldn't you be doing a disservice to these same customers?

Try coming up with an alternative to deal with your bitterness.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Sorry PJ, but you didn't work there. As a big uncaring corporation, I have forced them to care enough about me to get something out of it. But it didn't do much, just pay a few bills off. Still, they are disorganized, self centered, and do not care about the lives of loyal employees. They need to learn their lessons the hard way, because every other way isn't working. Working for a competitor means lying, it means selling the service of a competitor as the best service, and while I dislike being a salesperson, I need money. It's not like anyone is going to give me money to sit around and post messages and pictures. If I can bring some morality to my old employer through a harshly taught lesson, and as a result other employees who still work there can benefit, then I will embrace that bitterness for the good of the little person. Someone has to take a stand. Sometimes tapping in to the emotion can help create change.

If I worked for myself, I'd pay myself too much, go broke, and have to lay myself off! Then I'd be right back where I am. Part of me still believes that this world could be a better one, and I cannot give up. Big Evil must me educated, and converted. Or it must fall away to make room for a better world. There's a lot to change, a long way to go. Any bets on how quick I get squashed on the way to moral victory? Heehee

Laurie, it sounds like the Canadian owned oil corporation I worked for five months before I quit them because they made me so depressed do to the fact that management was motivated purely by there own profit (bonuses) and cared less about the employees. Usualy I would find another job in no time but this time it took me over six weeks before I found another job. Yes mabye I should halved had another job lined up but some times you can take only some much. That and they said you don't have to come back to work right after I gave them my two weeks notice. I had no problem with that. :lol:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

They are all cold and unfeeling Laurie :lol: I worked myself into a stressed state for 7 years for one of our Building Societies and then one day, after not sleeping for a whole night, red eyed and light headed I was trying to type out my action plan for the following year and all I could come up with was to leave. So I typed up my resignation and copied it out with full details of the appalling way in which they treat their staff to anyone of any importance much to the shock and horror of my manager :lol: I kept that up for a year afterwards as I now and then threatened to take them to court but then I moved on. I did set up my own shop on leaving as I wanted to be self employed, but it didn't work out (wrong place wrong time) and then I did temping for a while whilst trying to decide which direction to take. Along came Holly so that was my direction for a few years until 2 years ago the job I am now in came up. I work in a hospital for less than I did 10 years ago but I have my sanity, my health and I can go home and switch off. I'm broke but happy and that is what is important. Don't give up Laurie but put your health and happiness first. Love Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Health and happiness are directly related to paying the bills on time, and I can't let Chris do everything. See, health and happiness mean nothing to me if I am worried about not doing my share, or being productive, or bringing in money. It's a bad thing, I know, but really, unless someone cares to throw money at me, I need to be out there and earning at least half of what I am worth to make myself feel better. And let's face it, no one cares about me in the work world. So, this is how it is. Until I feel I am doing my part, I'll stay depressed about it.

I sure hope you can get a job which makes the most of your people skills and writing talents. That could be a dream career. I have to do mundane work sometimes as I work for a small firm but I get interesting work too which for me, is important for job staisfaction.

Writing jobs are not easy to get, and those who have them, well, work them until they either retire, or die. The only thing to do is write at home and sell it one day in the future. People skiills, well, all jobs should have to involve that. Unless you work in a cube, with no other human contact at any time. That would be classified as torture.

All I can say is that I could never lie to others about a bad employer. The truth should be able to hurt them, so why lie ?

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

It is a direct consequence of the free flow of capital becoming global. The current level of prosperity and welfare in the world was reached because of the capitalist system that could operate more or less freely inside nations/continents. Now, with corporations increasingly spanning the globe, it makes more sense than ever investing money where the yields are the highest, since the differences between continents are so big. Shareholders demand that with a clear concience since there should be laws prevening corporations from doing things that are harmful to societies. Then, the dotcom era has put expectations of returns higher than realistically can be expected, resulting in extreme cost cutting measures and an even stronger incentive to lay off people. So, we are now in a wave of combined investor greed and globalisation and I'm afraid there is no way back. I'm not an economist but also I tend to think that it is not a sustainable model, but it will continue for at least a (few) decade(s). I'm not at all against capitalism, but I think that short term gains have gotten too important and the long term vision is almost no longer existing. But then, there is another angle to look at it: it could be self-regulating mechanism causing emerging economies like China and India to take the lead. They will get the development offices and factories as long as it is cheaper to run them there than it is here. This will cause the operational costs in the Western world to go down (lower salaries - and we'll go down the Japan route!) and at the same time the costs in the emerging markets to go up as the standard of living rises. So until we run out of emerging economies (and that will take at least a century) the trend will continue, after which an equilibrium will establish itself! If it costs the same to make a CD player in Korea, China, Europe or the US, it is just made where the customers are the closest, compared to now where they are made where it is the cheapers and they are shipped to where they have most money. Either way, it looks bad for the Western world :lol: Hm. It seems I got carried away a bit.

What's all the fuss about?

"So, we are now in a wave of combined investor greed and globalisation and I'm afraid there is no way back. " There are plenty of ways back, or at least, ways to something different and potentially better. But in the minute or so I've taken to think about it, all of the options are very unpleasant, and generally involve war, destruction, and other things that, while having a beneficial after effect, are not worth undertaking. When society falls, I will have marektable skills. I can cook, I can make bread by hand, no electricity or machines needed. Society may revert back to something else, but everyone needs to eat. Thus, the rise of Chefocracy shall come to pass, and all with cooking skill shall be brought to power. Okay, very silly, but it would make for a great short story. A society ruled by farmers, bakers, cooks, butchers, hunters... oh wait, we've already had that, I think they called it DEMOCRACY. Seems we lost our way since then...

I think there really is no way back. We cannot stop the emerging countries from trying to unseat the established world. They are gaining knowledge faster (relatively speaking) because they are "behind" and they are working harder and longer for less money because they have a stronger incentive to do so (they have the lure of their first car and cellphone etc.). We may be able to make things more pleasant for us (focus on things that really count), or we may delay the process (by speeding up our own advance by working harder), but stopping it? No, I don't think we can. Yes, war or something along those lines could, but carpet bombing three quarters of the world? I'm often thinking about these things. Another minor issue: during the next decade, 200 million families in China and India alone will be able to buy their first car. It will do wonders for the car industry, but what will it do to the CO2 burden and the crude oil price? In the best scenario, it will double it, pulling the US and Europe in the deepest industrial recession since the seventies' oil shocks. I'm happy that I don't have to worry about those things, that's what we have politicians for. PS: it's good that you know how to bake bread, since I don't :lol:

What's all the fuss about?

I'm making a loaf now, well, it's rising, shaping and proofing are in half an hour. Maybe the goal is to go in a new direction, then. Space. It's sitting there, all empty, people will pay 20 mil for a ride on a Russian Rocket. Okay, it's a geek's dream, but really, there's a big moon, some other planets, lots of places to go, and a whole industry to be built upon. While everyone else catches up, we can move somewhere else. Hooray for Western Civilization? Whatever. New cars with new technology meaning better things. Of course, the evil of it is... we need corporations to get involved, they have the money. But many people with money will pay to go on the early space flights to space hotels, on space cruise ships, and with that initial investments, small companies can get going, and a whole new direction is taken. Smart Oil companies would start taking their big oil profits and investing in other energy sources, in secret. Then, when this recession abounds, the western countries can have their oil companies pull out their new energy sources, and crush the problem. It's not a well organized thought, forgive me on that. But there are ways to go different, since we know there's a problem. We just need someone with some money and a big corporation to help! I'll start learning how to kill and butcher animals now, for when it does fall apart. :lol: