walking on spike heels

sabotalot

I've been "out and about" wearing lots of nifty shooz. even with a 4" heel, but they were either with a broad-base (clogs), or narrow-spike in boots (heel may be narrow, but boot-shaft added to stability of leg.) How do you balance yourself? I just obtained a nice pair of 4-inch red pumps from Payless, but am afraid of falling, or turning an ankle under.

It really is just practice. After a while you learn how to correctly balance so that you don't wobble as much in your ankle. That is the best way to not fall. Just walk next to a wall or something. That way you can brace yourself. The best way to get practice is to walk in figure-eights. (That's what I like to do at least). That way you practice turning, walking in a pattern, and try walking with one foot in front of the other. After awhile it will come as natural as walking with your wider heels.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

Hi Sabotlot, if you have worn stiletto heels of the same height before then there should be very little difference in the stability you percieve between say a boot and a pump. Each shoe varies but pumps are pretty supportive, boots may offer a little more stability but not significantly enough to make a pump significantly trickier to wear. (Sandals/ Mules could be a little harder) A finer stiletto always wobbles more (if you let it) so it will be a combination of whether you have worn that fine a heel - and also how much experience you have. It just comes back to practice practice practice etc.... good luck - and have fun! Heel-Lover

Yes, spikes feel less stable, but they seem safer to me than wide heels: 1. Any sideways wobble is part of a continuum of movement, the heel's path from vertical to horizontal is a smooth arc so your muscles are always working to keep the heel vertical and quickly compensate for ground irregularities, etc. 2. Wide heels have a broad stable surface so your ankles have to do nothing to keep them vertical. A sudden irregularity in the walking surface will meet with no resistance and by the time your ankles realize there's something amiss and react, you're sitting on the ground wondering if you can hop all the way home. Conclusion: wide heels give a false sense of security, whereas narrow heels keep your feet "on alert."

I've turned ankles on 2-inch heels, but never on the higher ones. It's not because I'm panting at the higher heels. It's because there's less weight on the heel (more on the toes) in higher heels, and because the higher the heel, the more it's like you walking on your toes anyway, which is easy.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

A lot of it also has to do with the width of the bottom of the shoe (ball of foot area) and toe box. Higher the stiletto, more you depend, like said above, on the balls of your feet. Still, I think it's easier to walk in stiletto (as the heel curves inward) heels than straight heels. Standing is harder, though.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Some of it has to do with the quality of the shoe itself. Mine are in the 3" to 4" range, but I'm finding that heel height doesn't affect stability as much as the overall design of the shoe, including the sole. Some of the cheaper ones are wobbly as all get out, while the midrange priced heels seem more stable, as well as more comfortable.

Some of it has to do with the quality of the shoe itself. Mine are in the 3" to 4" range, but I'm finding that heel height doesn't affect stability as much as the overall design of the shoe, including the sole. Some of the cheaper ones are wobbly as all get out, while the midrange priced heels seem more stable, as well as more comfortable.

I would agree with that. I have some cheap spike heels that were like 20 bucks, and they're a bit less stable than a pair of 50 dollar ones I have. But it also depends on brand too. Designer will always be better than random shoe brand.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.