shoe size question

hojo

Hi All, as i have not plucked up enough courage to buy some heels in a shop looks like i'll have to do it on line ;-) just a question on sizes, I take a uk size 10, can i order this size in heels or do i have to make adjustments ?, looking to start off with a pair of courts, thanks in anticipation ! :w00t2:

Hi All, as i have not plucked up enough courage to buy some heels in a shop looks like i'll have to do it on line :w00t2: just a question on sizes, I take a uk size 10, can i order this size in heels or do i have to make adjustments ?, looking to start off with a pair of courts, thanks in anticipation ! :grin:

Well, I thought we had pretty well thrashed this one out by now, but I suppose there's always the late-comers. So, if you really don't want to research this topic here on this forum; in a word - DON'T!!! For one thing, there's no such thing as an absolute - "my shoe size is a 10; now send me a shoe that fits, thank you very much." As much as we all dream for such a day; it simply doesn't operate that way. What you are going to find is that when you will order that delightful pair from the XYZ mfgr in a size 10; when the pkg arrives, the shoes will either fit a perfect 9.5 or a 10.5 but your foot - no way! unless you just happen to get lucky and everybody is all smiles. :jap:

But the plain and simple fact is that the only way you can be assured of getting shoes that fit is to go into a shop, sit yerself down, and tell the sales clerk you were interested in some particular style shoe and ask to try it on.

Now just what the big deal is about trying on a pair of shoes that you genuinely wish to purchase - is quite beyond me. Here in the states retailers are hurting so badly that they're laying-off employees by the thousands! So I expect that the average clerk would be delighted ;-) to have you try on a pair of shoes if it meant a sale was in the offing. Now of course, you can always buy shoes on-line or by mail-order, but getting shoes that FIT - well that's an entirely different matter.

As for me, I'd take a few minutes to go into a shop and tell the clerk just which shoe I wanted to try on - bold as brass! If the clerk so much as batted an eyelid at me - I'd take my custom elsewhere.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Search for "sizing" or "sizes" right here on HHplace, this type of question comes up a lot. There is not much sense to any of the sizing systems in use and converting between them adds to the confusion. Buying online is a viable option but be prepared to get a pair that doesn't fit, no matter how careful you are with sizing. I wind up sending back more than half of the shoes I order and I know what size I take! I have seen variation in as much as a size and a half in the U.S. system. Look for a shop that has a generous return policy because more likely than not you're going to send 'em back. If you are looking at a pair of shoes from an online seller that has a restrictive return policy, pass them by -- there are other shops out there.

Have a happy time!

• 1 month later...

One thing I've noticed - the fit on heels is much more critical than it is with men's shoes. Too loose, you're flopping around. Too tight... agony. This could be one reason sizes are so variable across brands and styles. These ain't your daddy's work boots.

While you don't have to try them on in a store, if you don't, you do need to accept the fact that they might need to be returned for a different size. I haven't tried on any shoes I bought in a store, but I've bought bought in a store (or ordered and had shipped to the store) and had to return some of them because they didn't fit. You can decide whether you'd want to try to order the 'correct' size the first time, having to go thru a return and rebuy of the alternate size if it's wrong. Or, you can initially order both (all) sizes, being able to compare the fit at home, but knowing it's guaranteed you'll need to return at least one pair. It's not necessarily because we're guys buying men's shoes. My wife was interested in a pair of boots, and though she typically wears a sz 9, I ordered an 8.5, 9, and 10 for her to try. [The 10 ended up fitting the best, though unfortunately the heels were too high for here].

...It's not necessarily because we're guys buying men's shoes. My wife was interested in a pair of boots, and though she typically wears a sz 9, I ordered an 8.5, 9, and 10 for her to try. [The 10 ended up fitting the best, though unfortunately the heels were too high for here].

Right on! The bottom line here is that if you want to wear heels - that they must fit, unless you want to hurt yer feet and hoisery and/or look like Bozo-the clown. Therefore, a shoe that is a 1/2 size too small or too large simply won't do. In order to look astheicly pleasing and not hurt yer feet, the shoes must fit properly.

So what's the big deal about going into a shop and saying "I'm interested in that style shoe; do you have it in a size 10, please?"

Personally, I find it far more of a hassle and embarrassing to return an item than to get it right in the first place; not to mention the fact that more and more businesses have tightened-up their return policies. After all, once the loot has gone into the till, then like as not they need it to pay the light bill. That's just one reason why returning merchandise is a big hassle for everyone. So unless the shop has a sign that says something to the effect that: "We only serve women" (I have yet to see one), I assume that they want my business too. ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Here's some info. Heel heigth is measured from the round of the heel to the floor. Not the actual length of the heel material. Also the angle of the sule of the shoe will adjust with the size of the shoe...as the heel heigth goes up so does the smallest shoe size that can work with that heel heigth and be walkable so most manufacturers will make only from X size up. Flat to 3" safe to go the actual size you where with out being too small. 3" and up go a whole size up as the higher heels are useualy nerrower...these are not in half sizes so might need to go one and a half size up. This is a general rule posted EVERYWHERE. Now you can get pads that can go in the shoes to fill up the gap of larger shoes. But that wasn't their intended purpus and not until gel's came out foot pads couldn't work like that. Some manufacturers run small or run large, you can find them out by reading reviews so farther adjust accordingly. The material on a shoe the less closer to a sung fit it needs to be. Shoes with straps you likely need to go at least 1 size larger in order to not be wearing the shoe on the very last hole or not even reach the last hole. I'm actualy good enough in checking reviews for the shoe in question, manufacturer history, shoe size estamating that I can order once and never need to adjust or return. Though I am lucky enough to have a foot in the worlds most common size US Womens 7-8. Though in the fetish shoe world this size foot IS not common but a US womans size 10-12 is. Some shoes are just a problem and require adjusting and no way around it. Pleaser's Devious ballet boots...they are listed 7" heel but really 8" heel. True ballet heels are matched tot he shoe size not fixed to a length.

• 3 months later...

I buy my shoes in person. I like to see what I am getting. Trying them on and walking around the womens shoe department in high heels is half the fun. Many that I try on look very sexy but the fit is terrible. I can only imagine the nightmare it would be to keep sending them back. I enjoy talking to the sales ladies. They do not care if the shoes are for you. They just want to sell shoes.

• 1 month later...

Sizes are just crazy for shoes, unless you are really lucky buying shoes on-line is really a tough one. I have shoes in size 35 35.5 36 and a couple pairs bigger ... steve madden and aldo tend to fit me fairly true to size, but I have feet a bit on the narrow side... Gucci tend to run a bit small as well.... Plus your size in a four or four and a half inch heel is different than a kitten heel or a boot. That is one reason why you need to put shoes on and feel each pair to see what works and what does not. The angle of the shoe changes as some heels are cut with a flatter heel area and some shoes leave the heel area at a steep angle.... some are more stable and comfy and some are just torment in a pretty box. Ask any woman about her " three hour heels " or " just for dinner " or just for a dinner at home heels cause you can't make it to the car in them... I work in sales and drive all day and spend a lot of time on my feet. I tend to buy more expensive shoes that are well made and well fitting so I can get thru a ten + hour day in my four to five inch heels..... A day in well fitting shoes is way better than lunch and back in shoes that don't fit.

Sizes are just crazy for shoes, unless you are really lucky buying shoes on-line is really a tough one. I have shoes in size 35 35.5 36 and a couple pairs bigger ... steve madden and aldo tend to fit me fairly true to size, but I have feet a bit on the narrow side... Gucci tend to run a bit small as well.... Plus your size in a four or four and a half inch heel is different than a kitten heel or a boot. That is one reason why you need to put shoes on and feel each pair to see what works and what does not. The angle of the shoe changes as some heels are cut with a flatter heel area and some shoes leave the heel area at a steep angle.... some are more stable and comfy and some are just torment in a pretty box. Ask any woman about her " three hour heels " or " just for dinner " or just for a dinner at home heels cause you can't make it to the car in them... I work in sales and drive all day and spend a lot of time on my feet. I tend to buy more expensive shoes that are well made and well fitting so I can get thru a ten + hour day in my four to five inch heels..... A day in well fitting shoes is way better than lunch and back in shoes that don't fit.

Love that: "Torment in a pretty box." comment. I've said it here many times before, but my old GF never wore her heels outside of my apartment; so I assume those were "bedroom only shoes".

In any case, you go, girl!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

So what's the big deal about going into a shop and saying "I'm interested in that style shoe; do you have it in a size 10, please?"

I guess its different strokes for different folks!

Some of us are still trying to understand our desire to wear heels when society frowns upon it whilst others - like yourself Guy N Heels - have grown through and understand the desire (and are very comfortable with it). Whilst I admire your openess and even think you serve as a role model - not all of us are at the same point as you :)

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Partyshoes! I understand your fear, and possible confuson, about the desire to wear shoes "society" dictates are for women. But if this societal pressure were absolute then not one woman would now sport a tattoo or pants or cowboy boots or other things once reserved for men. For their part earrings, various forms of makeup, and black nail polish never would have been seen on men ANYWHERE but we now know that isn't true. The world does evolve some places faster than others. Don't overanalyze why you like girls' shoes, we all do, just confront the fact and make the most of it.If every man in every village,town,city,state,province, and country came from the closet and demanded the same fashion rights as women have then the entire world would come to accept men wearing feminine-style shoes as they have the other things. Sometimes it is better to blaze a trail with a supportive friend or sometimes you have to go it alone but you must assert yourself and do it confidently. Time and again we have read here of the experiences of many shy souls who finally asserted themselves and found out the world actually responds best to those who are the most confident. :):)

Hi Partyshoes!

I understand your fear, and possible confuson, about the desire to wear shoes "society" dictates are for women. But if this societal pressure were absolute then not one woman would now sport a tattoo or pants or cowboy boots or other things once reserved for men. For their part earrings, various forms of makeup, and black nail polish never would have been seen on men ANYWHERE but we now know that isn't true. The world does evolve some places faster than others. Don't overanalyze why you like girls' shoes, we all do, just confront the fact and make the most of it.If every man in every village,town,city,state,province, and country came from the closet and demanded the same fashion rights as women have then the entire world would come to accept men wearing feminine-style shoes as they have the other things. Sometimes it is better to blaze a trail with a supportive friend or sometimes you have to go it alone but you must assert yourself and do it confidently. Time and again we have read here of the experiences of many shy souls who finally asserted themselves and found out the world actually responds best to those who are the most confident. :):)

There was a point in history (the 70's) when fashion did step "out of the closet" and men wearing high heels was a common occurence. History and evolution are funny things. It seems to me at this point in time the world is split down the middle for men: you're either a "manly-man" or anything goes, and it seems hard for many to accept the latter. I agree with HappyinHeels that those who take the daring step have mostly been satisfied with the results. How you feel about the results is really the most important thing.