A funny thing happened ....

fastfreddy2

Background:

I like banana heeled boots and shoes, though I don't currently own any.

I wear ankle boots almost exclusively, because I've got incredibly thin legs (due to cycling). I don't do strappy sandals because my slim feet slip through them ....

So........

When shopping in Tesco the other day, I noticed they were selling a very attractive banana heeled ankle boot (shoe boot) with leather uppers for £25. Took me a couple of visits to different branches around the county to find an outlet with my (expected) size, but wouldn't you know it, my local shop had exactly the size I was looking for! :sad:

Tried them on at home. Fitted length wise, but were huge otherwise. :) Obviously designed for a size 10 or 11 with no toes ..... So they had to go back.

The interesting bit:

For one reason and another, I returned the ankle boots later today at around 10.45pm. Place wasn't that busy, but it wasn't empty either.

I found the girl who was supposed to be helping on the Customer Services counter, (wandering around the tills) and asked if it were too late in the day to return something, and was told it wasn't. I went back to my car (parked very close) and returned with the boots.

I walked up to the counter, where me and the girl assistant were pretty much alone. The conversation went like this:

Her: "You returning these yeah?"

Me: "Yes please."

Her: "For you?"

[Now mindful this is my home town, I wasn't about to 'fess up.]

Me: "If they were for me, I'd need a size larger." *giggle*

[Which got read as; 'I need a size larger.]

Her: "Did you look to see if we had the size you need?"

Me: :winkiss: "No, I said 'if they were for me, I'd need a size larger', like a size 9!"

Refund was concluded, and I left.

Conclusion:

Men buying womens shoes for themselves at Tesco, is a lot more common than I would have believed possible. Obviously, I live in a town significantly more cosmopolitan than I knew. :smile::nervous:

I think a lot of shoe salespeople are accustomed to men buying heels -- and in sizes quite a bit larger than most women wear. What the heck -- mens' money is the same color as womens' money -- if you're selling something then why do you care if your buyer is male or female? It is in the sales staff's best interest to treat all customers fairly and equitably, with a minimum of discomfort. After all, a happy customer is a returning customer and a potential repeat sale! Kind of ironic when you think about how uncomfortable and self-conscious so many of us are buying heels.

Have a happy time!

I would not mind betting that we, on this forum, represent the 'tip of the iceberg' as regards men who prefer a higher heeled shoe or boot. I think talking about it appeals to some, but perhaps most just get on with it...!! One thing is for sure...those that only fantasize will be on here first, while just buying and wearing might be more 'normal' than we suspect?? M

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

I've bought shoes, bags trousers for me from tesco and asda, no probs, and taken tops bk for size change, again no probs, don't care..

Same here including other shops. Never have any problems or embarassing situations as I'm not embarassed by it. It's actually quite fun!!

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

When I got my first from asda @ 6 30 in the morning, I got the "for you" question without any unsubtleties, maybe the odd (early or late) hours give us away? But then if we are the tip of the iceburg, shouldn't it make things easier? for that fantastic "ALL WEAR HEELS DAY":w00t2:

Just about every time I've bought heels in the last few years the assistant has taken them out of the box ready for me to try on... as if it was an everyday occurrance so I guess it probably is.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

We may be the tip of the iceberg for sure. It appears that most all businesses know that men are buying heels for themselves and are ready to serve a customer, male or female. The money is the same and they have made a sale, which is the bottom line. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

And while I'm on .....

The other pair of high street ankle boots (old-speak for shoe-boots) I've been trying to get my hands on are a pair of these in black size 8. Sadly, the day I saw them I didn't have the 'where-with-all' to make the purchase. Must've been in 10 Next shops trying to find the right size/colour since with no positive result. :nervous:

In several shops where I've asked for the size I want, I've been offered the opportunity for them to be ordered for me. :winkiss: Which might be useful if there were still in stock somewhere (they ain't - I've checked.) Even got smiled at by one of the men assistants while in Milton Keynes trying on the (illustrated) tan version..... :sad:

Mindful I struggled to find an 8 in Tesco, and an 8 in Next, two things are obvious.

1. At a time of retailers finding it hard to get sales, not having stock of popular lines in all sizes seems a bit of a lost opportunity.

2. There is an obvious demand for heeled shoes in the larger sizes. Seemingly unmet in at least two of the high street stores?

From the experiences of several others here, service and attitude isn't a problem. Possibly finding (enough) suitable product is more of an issue?

I recently found the qupidshoes.com website, the manufacturer's wholesale site. If you look at the 2 packages they offer per style of shoe, you get... SIZE: Quanity: 5- 0 5.5- 1 6- 1 6.5- 2 7- 2 7.5- 3 8- 3 8.5- 3 9- 2 10- 2 In one package (18 total) and in the other package... Size: Quanity 5.5- 1 6- 2 6.5- 2 7- 3 7.5- 3 8- 2 8.5- 2 9- 2 10- 1 As you can see in this case, the largest sizes have fewer quantity. Imagine they offer sizes 11-14. The numbers would be very low for those sizes. This explains why they larger sizes sell out faster. They start with far fewer. This manufacturer only sells in these packages so it isn't possible to order a batch of just 10s.

Just about every time I've bought heels in the last few years the assistant has taken them out of the box ready for me to try on... as if it was an everyday occurrance so I guess it probably is.

Depending on the store and the sales clerk, I am often asked if I would like to try them on or after buying them, would I like to wear them out of the store.

I recently found the qupidshoes.com website, the manufacturer's wholesale site. If you look at the 2 packages they offer per style of shoe, you get...

SIZE: Quanity:

5- 0

5.5- 1

6- 1

6.5- 2

7- 2

7.5- 3

8- 3

8.5- 3

9- 2

10- 2

In one package (18 total) and in the other package...

Size: Quanity

5.5- 1

6- 2

6.5- 2

7- 3

7.5- 3

8- 2

8.5- 2

9- 2

10- 1

As you can see in this case, the largest sizes have fewer quantity. Imagine they offer sizes 11-14. The numbers would be very low for those sizes. This explains why they larger sizes sell out faster. They start with far fewer.

This manufacturer only sells in these packages so it isn't possible to order a batch of just 10s.

That's enlightening. :winkiss:

Possibly the retailers are not giving adequate feedback to the manufacturers. Go to Next, or Tesco, and the last shoes on the rail are the size UK4's and UK5's. Go to TK Maxx (the left-over "designer" store), same situation. LOTS of 4's and 5's.

The younger girls in our family take UK7 and UK8. I suspect the day of "petite feet" has passed. Larger people (girls) have grown larger feet, and it would seem the manufacturers haven't caught up?