work appropriate?

audreyk

I just wanted to get an idea what people consider to be work appropriate footwear in office work environments. Of course, some people would consider open toed shoes, sandals, and heels higher than 4 inch never appropriate, but I've seen people pull it off and look stylish. I work in an office environment and just want to see some people's opinions. Thanks!

http://www.ninewest.com/Hammer/2974879,default,pd.html?cgid=1059

http://www.shopbop.com/open-toe-pump-sergio-rossi/vp/v=1/845524441820686.htm?folderID=2534374302080344&extid=shopzilla-SERGI20012

http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7472984/color/3475

http://www.6pm.com/n/p/p/7344404/c/585.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7455323/c/10174.html

Here in the UK there are a number of unwritten rules concerning ladies' shoes in the workplace. Obviously the rules are enforced more in some places than in others. 1. No open toes or heels (so sandals are out). 2. Colour to match or compliment the outfit. 3. Black is the preferred colour. 4. Boots are streetwear and not suitable in the office. 5. If you have a female boss never wear higher heels or more expensive shoes than her particularly at formal functions. 6. If you have a male boss and you know his wife then rule 5 applies to her. 7. Never wear white tights.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Audrey, Interesting spread of shoes. So of course, this is my opinion for what its worth. 1. No. The rest, will get coments and attention from many. Both #2 & #5 would be super evening wear as would #5 and I would suggest they would be more appropriate in that role. #3 well I don't particularly think knee boots go with a suit, a full skirt and top then yes, but it depends on the office style code wether these can be worn. I would go with #4 for the office. They (and the accessories) will add a nice dash of colour to a formal suit. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Here in the UK there are a number of unwritten rules concerning ladies' shoes in the workplace. Obviously the rules are enforced more in some places than in others.

1. No open toes or heels (so sandals are out).

2. Colour to match or compliment the outfit.

3. Black is the preferred colour.

4. Boots are streetwear and not suitable in the office.

5. If you have a female boss never wear higher heels or more expensive shoes than her particularly at formal functions.

6. If you have a male boss and you know his wife then rule 5 applies to her.

7. Never wear white tights.

That's interesting. I definitely believe in 2, 3, and 7. I've seen women occassionally wear open toed high heel sandals to work and it seems fine, but I'm not sure. I've personally worn high heeled boots to work when it's cold. I've never heard of rules 5 and 6 though. I have a male boss and know his wife. She's an outdoorsy type and I have actually never seen her wear heels, so I'm definitely going to violating rules 5 and 6! :winkiss:

I have seen women at my office wear open toe shoes, sandals, and boots, many with heels reaching 4" or so. I think all of the ones you linked are all pretty close to pushing the boundaries for many offices, but with perhaps some carefully selected conservative and professional clothes to match with them, I think they all could be acceptable at work.

Hi Audrey Interesting topic indeed... I am from France, and none of the shoes you showed seem unappropriate for office here ! Well, n°1 are too... I do not have the right word, but (please don't get angry) they remind me my grandmother. The codes Dr Shoes mentioned may have applied in France but not anymore !

There aren't any set rules pertaining to heel height where I work. One young lady came in once a year ago in towering black open-toed stilettos and hasn't worn them since. I suspect her manager may have said something to her. Another lady in a different department wears heels very often. In fact, I've seen her in black stilettos that were at least 4.5". She looks great in them and wears short skirts all the time - which is also great, but she's not exactly slim. She always takes short steps and her heels are loose enough so that there is noticeable heelpop.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

Here in the UK there are a number of unwritten rules concerning ladies' shoes in the workplace. Obviously the rules are enforced more in some places than in others.

1. No open toes or heels (so sandals are out).

2. Colour to match or compliment the outfit.

3. Black is the preferred colour.

4. Boots are streetwear and not suitable in the office.

5. If you have a female boss never wear higher heels or more expensive shoes than her particularly at formal functions.

6. If you have a male boss and you know his wife then rule 5 applies to her.

7. Never wear white tights.

Thinking of what my wife wears, and she works in an office cube environment:

1. She occasionally wears open toe, but not very often. However, open toe is definitely allowed in the US. We recently discussed this issue here somewhere else (need to search).

2.+3. Yes.

4. Boots - yes, wears them always in the winter to work (with heels).

5.+6. don't apply.

7. Agree. Tights yes, but only black.

As we are talking the United States, unless the office is very formal (funeral home, stuffy lawyers, etc.) any of your selections would be fine (couldn't see #2) in most offices. Office footwear can be sandals, pumps, boots, etc. etc.

It's all about the heel!

I just wanted to get an idea what people consider to be work appropriate footwear in office work environments. Of course, some people would consider open toed shoes, sandals, and heels higher than 4 inch never appropriate, but I've seen people pull it off and look stylish. I work in an office environment and just want to see some people's opinions. Thanks!

It would depend what kind of office you work in and what your role in the office is. At least in the U.S. there can be a diverse set of rules depending on the setting.

Style is built from the ground up!

Over here in Singapore, in fact, I often do see most of the styles, with the exception of boots, among the various office ladies in the business district, might be due to the weather, thus allowing open toed footwear. (Damn it.. guys still have to stick to our long sleeved shirts, pants, and shoes) Might have to depend on your office though, but for starters, a covered shoe would prob be better, and then slowly move on from there :winkiss: The 2nd Sergio Rossie open toe pump is real nice. Should be quite appropriate given the trends now.

any of the shooes you linked would be accepted in my workplace, and most would be HIGHLY complimented! a co-worker of mine regularly comes by to see my footwear, and to show off whatever sexy thing she's wearing on her legs and feet. any of the styles (except #1. a little too "granny") would be likely to be seen on her feet.

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

Its funny that #1. pair of shoes got so many granny comments in this thread. I had originally pictured a sexy pair of feet wearing those shoes and they looked just fine to me at first, but now that you all have mentioned it, all I can see now in them is granny feet. :nervous: Ahh well :winkiss:

A lot is dependent on the specific work place and location. I have worked in numerous office environments where they had a strict dress code, but I have also worked where the executives wore shorts to work during the hot months. Right now, I can wear anything except for Crocs (which I'm completely fine with, because they are hideous) and cheap rubber flip flops are also out. As far as the five you had linked, any of the five would be appropriate where I work.

I work for an automotive shop supply company. I have seen everything from flip flops, crocs, workboots to ladies on extreme high heels and everything in between and everything from jeans, shorts to business suits, dresses to very miniskirts. I have always wondered how some of them get away with what they wear. My company has a dress code for the men and women sales reps in the field. I have seen all of the before listed shoes on women at their jobs.

My office is pretty casual so any of those would be acceptable. In fact there are a couple of women who always wear good shoes, I've complimented them both briefly but haven't managed to strike up a conversation.

One lady has started wearing some concealed platforms, similar to these but in smooth black patent, and in fact the other day we had a lady from Hewlett Packard come to see us (we're their customer) and she was wearing some incredible shoes. They were similar to these but slightly shorter on the leg.

Some days I have difficulty concentrating...:winkiss:

Spiker.

Items 1, 2 and 4 are all very suitable for the office. I am not a regular boot fan. I think item 5 is a little showy with the tassle. Depending on the type of office and the overall attire I think the max is a four inch heel. I have a couple of tiny gals in the office who are just over 5 feet and they wear 4 inch heels and it looks trampy but I am 5.7" and it is not as bad. Sheryl:clap:

http://www.ninewest.com/Hammer/2974879,default,pd.html?cgid=1059

http://www.shopbop.com/open-toe-pump-sergio-rossi/vp/v=1/845524441820686.htm?folderID=2534374302080344&extid=shopzilla-SERGI20012

http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7472984/color/3475

http://www.6pm.com/n/p/p/7344404/c/585.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7455323/c/10174.html

Personnally I LOVE #1. They would go very nice with a tailored trousers or a pants suit and in my opinion are very work appropriate as long as you can get away without wearing hosiery. They command bare feet. #2 are great as well, but I wouldn't see them as appropriate for an office setting if you were wearing a skirt. I see plenty of women in very professional setting wearing peep toes with trousers or a pants suit. These would likely work with hosiery as well. I don't think #3 is very professional. They seem just a bit too casual. #4 would be great for the office. Though they are red, the round toe gives them an understated look but adds a touch of style. The fifth pair does not look like office shoes to me. The little strap on the back is a bit too distracting and in my opinion, pumps for work can either have open sides, open toe or an open back, but only one of the three. However a nice sandal like the first one can get away with showing more skin, with a pump less usually is more. Of course all of this depends on what you do at the office, what the acceptable level of fashion expression is, and what type of business you engage in. I work in education and in the past have worked in information technology and artistic fields. In a college environment, people are pretty free to dress as they see fit. In the more creative feilds, fashion expression is almost encuraged. However banks, medical ofices, law offices, etc. would not have the same degree of freedom. Good luch with your choices and please let up know which items you chose!

Style is built from the ground up!

I'm probably not going to be much help. I believe with the appropriate matching outfit, any of those high heels would fit into an office setting. Again, it all depends on how comfortable you feel wearing them in the office. You could make all of those work for you.