Five steps to fashion freestyling (and heeling)

boots4ever

“I like your style” – when you get this comment from a woman you are in the society of fashion freestylers. On the journey to this, you can boost/speed up some points. Based on the way I took, I have written down my five steps that will help to become a member of fashion avant-garde. Step 1: Look – Understand how things match First step is very easy to do: start looking around. What kind of style do you like? Is it the brand new fashion style of this season? Is it the extravagant style – for example leather? Try to collect some pictures. Good sources are only a few mouse clicks away. Read blogs about (street-)style fashion, visit polyvore.com, grab some fashion magazines. Once you looked, you get the key to the look. Step 2: Be Stylish - Match your wardrobe A woman in lingerie – for example agent provocateur – and amazing 6 inch heels looks great! But this is probably not the right outfit to go shopping or to go to work. So if you want to integrate heels in your daily style and you want to get a good feedback. To obtain this, you have to have a good look. Like: “never seen before – but that is cool”. So get some fashion advisory. For example “how to look slim”. Start googleing around. Step 3: Create your style – Make a statement Putting the heels on is one thing. The other is how you appear. Get a little of extra styling. How about matching colors? Match boots and belts. How about dressing in one color only? Black will always match together. Add some accessories to your style. A scarf will add some extra length to your style – your shoulders will look slim. Once you have the basics fixed, you will make great improvements and you will be ready for positive comments. Key: create one basic outfit and the start to add details. Step 4: Be comfortable – Step by step Nothing is worse than heeling and being anxious. A simple key could be to start low. Wear cowboy boots for example. Than go next the step. For example 3 inch heel cowboy boots. Once you think “how can I dress to impress?” and then simply put the things on you like and you are proud to wear these things you will get to this “point of no return”. Step 5: Cool with Yourself - Start talking Feedback – and especially good one – is the key. So be prepared. Start conversations with women. Don´t hesitate. Have some openers to break the ice. Read the posts from kneehighs and create your set. Be prepared for questions like “why do you wear heels?” or “when did you start wearing heels”. Key: Look for women who are open to “styling topics”.

In the world of art, you often have to study a work a bit to understand what an artist is trying to express and often the more you study the more you see. I suspect the same is true in the world of fashion.

Boots4ever has given us a primmer on being a fashion artist which I find reinforces the basics:

• Looking in a mirror before you go out and liking what you see (if you don't like it , don’t go out) - Put together a look you like
  • Have confidence in yourself when you make your fashion statement - Look people in the eye

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

This is more like it !! Men need to catch up with women. The whole look is the key and EVERYONE boy or girl / short or tall / thin or large can find a personal style that works and is crafted by their own interest and feeling for form / colour/ texture. If we achieve harmony then the footware is absorbed into the poetry of the whole. People in the street will just say 'wow' to themselves and won't think "oh look at that freekish weird man in womans shoes" I find women can't help smiling at me when I get it right, which is more and more, as I sharpen up my taste in clothes. M

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

I find women can't help smiling at me when I get it right, which is more and more, as I sharpen up my taste in clothes.

M

Mikeheel...

This is so correct. I too have tried to match my wardrobe with my high heels. And when a woman either smiles or complements me, it makes it all worth while.

People in the street will just say 'wow' to themselves and won't think "oh look at that freekish weird man in womans shoes" -> This is the challenge! If they love it they will like you :winkiss: I find women can't help smiling at me when I get it right, which is more and more, as I sharpen up my taste in clothes. -> I came up to the point now, where heels are not the focus, but the look I create is the key.

Boots4ever, It has been said before, but you have put it together very nicely. It is always worth reminding men that their appearance is the key. Will many take it on board? I don't know. I really depends upon just how much they wish to incorporate heels into their look - to wear outside, or is their heel wearing just a fantasy passtime. Main trouble for men is that we are not guided from a young age to think in fashion terms as are girls, so it is difficult to get into that frame of mind. Men who dress in an adventurous way will always attract the attention of the ladies, just ask StilettoScot. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

The idea behind my post was to give a little checklist for anybody interessted in bringing up heels into fashion. For some of us it could be daily wear, for others it can be the occasional "extra kick". But for all of us: If we concentrate on "look" we will create a win/win. Being more comfortable while wearing heels. Taking the idea of "proud men wearing heels" to a broader public.